1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What's the reason behind not to take babies outside home in the evening?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by upfsabari, Mar 26, 2015.

1. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hello mommies,

I'm a first time mom.. My DS is little cranky in the evening especially from 6 to 9. So, I am taking him out to nearby temple (started from the past three days) so that he is entertained n too pass sometime. Today one stranger from nearby shop scolded me not to take babies outside home after 6 p.m. He even added that I'm taking him out daily which I'm not supposed to do..

So, I just want to know what's the reason behind it?

1 person likes this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sabari, this brought to mind the day my granddad was so furious with us for taking nephew (who was a baby then) out and coming home very late.

I can't think of any other except some seemingly rational ones - mosquitoes outside could bite bringing with them unwanted illnesses. Visibility not being so good outside despite lights, one could trip and fall somewhere and the baby could get hurt. Don't know if the baby would get scared of the dark.

For some reason, instead of giving good reasons for any dos or don'ts, our elders in their wisdom decided to say "should" or "should not", often not having any explanation if asked and at others bringing Gods, religion, demons and whatnot into the mix.

We need to think whether there is any good reason, is it valid in our situation and then act according to our common sense.

6 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If the locality is safe and well lit ...there is no harm. Make baby wear full clothes to avoid mosquitoes.Next time give such strangers a dirty stare. Everyone wants to be in others business.

7 people like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Hi @upfsabari

Congrats on your baby!

In India, outsiders who see your baby for the first time will act as if they know about your baby more than you :) so ignore, ignore, ignore !

I guess in the olden days - sandhya - the dusk was the time called rakshasa vela and you are not supposed to leave your hair open, cut nails, sleep, eat food etc etc etc... because you were supposed to light the diya and pray - it is believed as the time the bad spirits are at their strongest and are merry making :)

I guess now the evil spirits are the dengue mosquitoes and insects - they are at their peak at the dusk time!

If possible, start out early - take your baby out for a stroll at 5 pm and be back home before 6!

Check for colic symptoms on the internet - you'll find lots of things you can do for his discomfort at evenings !

Check if you are eating anything that might cause bloating for the baby (passes to him through Breastmilk)!
    Carry him around upright with his stomach pressed gently against your body and your hand firmly on his back and walk for sometime
    Sing to him
    Make shshshhshhh sounds will soothe him

It should stop by the time he is 5 months - it takes time for some babies' intestines to settle themselves.

9 people like this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

When my DD was an infant (i.e under 3 months), she used to get extremely cranky during the sun down time. My mom told me to give gripe water around that time and it helped. If I took her out, it used to get even worse. So, I used to take her early and return by sun down time. Even before she starts to get cranky, I gave her gripe water and that helped.

2 people like this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@upfsabari:
    Like the other posters said here, mosquitoes and dull lighting are the reasons. In case your DS is still cranky you can make him sit in his stroller/pram and go around your house for a while. Not sure how old your DS is but other forms of entertainment like listening to rhymes, singing a song for him, reading a book, just talking to him should work. Take him out preferably in the mornings and establish an everyday routine.

2 people like this.
  7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Other than the religious reasons, the logical ones could be:

1. Darkness might make the babies cry or restless
    2. In general the weather is usually cooler and might affect
    3. Mosquitoes and other flies
    4. Babies might become active and may not sleep later
    5. Nights are supposedly quieter and baby might feel left alone and cry
    5. These days the fluorescent/led are too bright and babies stare at it, eyesight might be affected and also they may not sleep on time

These days most of the above could be negated and if it is a safe locality, there is no reason to stop you going out.

2 people like this.
  8. upfsabari

Wow.. this is what I like about IL.. you guys helped me a lot by responding very fast.. thank you so much.. I feel much better now..

3 people like this.
  9. upfsabari

Satchi akka,

Yes, I agree with the mosquitoes..
    As you said, elders didn't teach us the reason behind many things. My mom and in-laws itself don't know the reason behind many so its very hard that I will know.

Thanks for dropping n responding so quick. :)

2 people like this.
  10. upfsabari

Yes YM. the locality is safe n the temple is hardly 20 ft from my house. I usually cover DS with a big towel. Only his face will be visible n even for that yesterday one lady asked me to close the eyes with the towel so that he wont get dust in his eyes.. The main reason I took him is he will see the surroundings n all.. I told her ok and covered his eyes for a min. Once she left that side, I opened it.

Thanks for your response..

1 person likes this.