1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Newborn Irregular Bowel

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidhukumar, Apr 6, 2007.

1. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hard stools-6 month baby

hi ladies!am back again for more advise...after i started my baby on solids,his stool has become dark&hard....now i know this is normal...but its also dry......is it due to lack of water?i dont give him much water....i give him prune juce mixed with water once in a while....should i give him water everyday apart from breast milk?if so how much water can i give him in a day?

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: hard stools-6 month baby

Dear Vidya,

Yes please, give him water after every solid feed. Atleast 1oz ( 2 ozs if possible) . That should do for now. Slowly you can increase. Give him the prune juice too every other day. Are you not including any fruits or veggies for him? If you do, you should not be having the hard stool problem. Even with the bottled baby food, it should not cause hard stools.

Increase the water intake please. Once they start on solids, you should give water with every meal.

Vandhana

3. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hi vandhana,thanks for the prompt reply!ok i shall start giving water after every feed ...yes i give him fruit&veg too.....his usual feeding schedule is something like this.....morning after he wakes up,i give him steamed apple.......rice cereal for bkf.....some veg for lunch(i have introduced beans,sweet potato,carrot&peas)......evening i give him pureed banana...then again rice cereal for dinner.....is this ok?

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear vidhu,
    even after giving fruits and all if u still have problem try giving baby enema, a small pump like stuff available, u need to insert with a little warm water then a little cold water and this way u r stimulating the bowel area and try to keep ur child in the cold water tub for atleast 20minutes this helps to cool of the lower area...we always leave the kids in the water for 20 minutes after bath...if the climate is too cold then a warm water other wise cool water to bring down the heat, this way u r cooling the inside and the outside, add lots of greens in his diet, it is a natural fibre that will help laxate his tools and loosen...hope been of help regards sunkan

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Hi VIdhu,
    At night soak 15 to 20 kottai drakshai ( bigger than raisins) in half a cup of warm water. In the morning squeeze out drakshai from the water and give the water to the baby. It will help the child to have free motion.
    Pushpavalli Srinivasan

6. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi vidya,
    do try 2 give the baby luke warm water whn ever u feed .and also try 2 feed some water in the morning as soon as the baby is up n also bfore the baby goes to bed .this is a very effective method.
    gd luck.
    raji.

7. kunaram

kunaram New IL'ite

difficult in passing stools

HI ILadies!
    My 2month old daughter hardly passes stools... i m still breast feding her..
    this is a problem for past 10 days.. i tried out castoroil with breastmilk.. but she passes stool that day and next day the problem continues.....and these days she also let out gas..i want to try out home remedies before i go to doc.. pls help me ladies!

8. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Re: difficult in passing stools

HI,
    try rubbing a teeny bit of hing..mixed in water on the tummy..child,s skin is very delicate use teeny bit only in clockwise direction rub aroung navel..
    try burping baby after feedes to reduce gas..
    BTW r u constipated/eating foods which r gas producing..olden days that was the theory abt breast-fed babies:confused:

9. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

Pls Dont Make Your Trials On The Baby...48 Hours Stool Not Passing Is Nothing Wrong ..but Even Otherwise Baby Is Not Passing Pls Give The Baby More Water ..warm Water...

10. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

Producing More Gas Allows The Intestine To Grow So No Worry..take Care Of Your Diet....