1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friend's baby boy suffering from Favism

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Pratts, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Pratts

Pratts Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

My close friend gave birth to baby boy last month.. Recently he is diagnosed with G6PD deficiency or otherwise called Favism. Not really sure about wat kind of deficiency is that.. but she was given a list of food and other items to be avoided. If anything given which is not suitable for the kid then it will trigger RBC and he will become anemic.. Plz correct me if am wrong anywhere.. She is looking for someone who has same prob and how they handled it.
    She feels very bad as the poor kid cries all the time. For all the test, blood is taken from him and he is really going weak..
    Can sum1 plz let me know if this is not a serious stuff and who is been through this.
    She was always a courageous gal who handled everything with ease is now feeling really low..
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am so sorry to hear about your friends predicament. I dont have any experience in this. Lets just hope someone here can shed some light.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I do not have personal experience with favism. But I did read this in a support group: avoid outside food. They are filled with allergens.

I have experience in dealing with food allergies and side effects. Yes it is tough to manage when you have a list of ingredients that you have to avoid. But once you have a control, it is quite easy. If anything, your friend will be eating more healthy stuff.