1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Remedy from chest congestion and running nose for 7 month old baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Telja, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Telja

Telja Silver IL'ite

Hello Dear Mothers and friends,

My son now 7 month old is suffering from chest congestion and severe running nose illness.Showed to doc but doc prescribed only saline nasal drops and T minice drops 3 times a day.But even after second day the baby is crying with chest congestion and cold.Especially at night time cant sleep properly and cries.Requesting your suggestion of other remedies for the baby suffering from cold and chest congestion.

Also is there any ayurvedic remedy for this illness.

Thanks
    Telja

2. IamLucky

IamLucky Gold IL'ite

Dear telja,
    PLease continue giving Saline drops as many time as needed.Its good only.
    for chest congestion:
    1.make the baby sleep. take vicks in a spoon and heat a bit.apply the on the chest and back.
    2.take some tulsi leaves and crush and add some hot water. get the concentrated juice and give the baby for 2 time per day.
    3.take beetle leaves.apply the heated vicks and put it on the chest.

2 people like this.
  3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Heat some coconut oil with omavalli leaves, one clove of crushed garlic, crushed pepper, crushed camphor and apply on his chest.

You can also check on Karpoorathi thailam(oil) though I'm not sure if it is suitable for kids.

1 person likes this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

For runny nose:

take turmeric and sesame seed oil mix and apply it baby nose, forehead and chest. But cold is very bad, I also put bit amount of turmeric paste on top of baby's head, I also apply on palms and feet. it gives relief as it generates heat, baby can sleep well. But continue giving doctor prescribed medicine.

2 people like this.
  5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Telja, sorry to hear your little one is sick. Try to create steam in bath by letting hot water run through shower and sit next to it with him, or just pour hot water in a bowl and inhale the steam you can add some vick or camilla flowers to it. If nose is blocked use a sucker for baby noses or simply do it with your mouth, sounds weird but works just spit it out afterwards or clean the sucker properly. You can drop some saltwater drops you get in pharmacy then. Otherwise just follow good suggestion others already given to you.

If you already feed him some solids you can add some garlic, ginger and turmeric (be carefull just use little amount) to his food - BUT just if he already had a little bit of it - these ingredients are helpfull in fighting colds and flu.

Rost some garlic and ajwain and put in muslin cloth, place next to baby the scent will help unblock the nose. You can rub on chest a bit of it too.

cut onion into half and place next to baby, make sure baby cant touch. Scent will help fighting cough.

You can also put some drops of breastmilk into nose if you are breastfeeding.

Similar to the recipes KashmirFlower gave you can also rub some vick under your babies feet.

Always sanitiese your hand before you touch the baby.

You can apply mastard oil with adding garlic to feet and palms if he has fever.

Edit: just wanted to mention, please dont mix and match all the recipes but try to stick to specific ones when it comes to apply on skin as it might irritate otherwise, if you see rashes or he shows signs of discomfort while applying remove the remedy and wait a while until you apply something else

5 people like this.
  6. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

take 50 ml of water, a piece of Jagggery (about 10gm )& small cut piece of ginger (about 5 gram ) boil for few min give one spoon 3 times a day.

2 people like this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Telja - Feel sorry for your baby. Hope he will get better soon.

People have posted very good remedies. I know nothing different. Just did not want to read and run. My best wishes...

I agree and know about
    -Warm Mustard Oil rub
    -Vicks kind of chest rubs
    - For chest infection, cough etc, I think sleep/rest can helps recover faster
    Do you have infant Tylenol kind of thing in India? Take only if doc suggests as it has sedatives.

2 people like this.
  8. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

hi, all

Pl. don't apply Vicks and don't use feeding bottle.

Vicks will expand the alveoli in the lungs because of this expansion the sputum spreads more.

If you use feeding bottle even you boil and do the sterilize with the hot water you can't remove the germs because @120 Deg C only we can kill the germs where us you can't boil the water more than 60 Deg.C so spoon (Silver Spoon ) feeding is good. it is difficult for few days after then it will be habituated.

1 person likes this.
  9. Telja

Telja Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments...

Vicks seems will cause more itching for babies as its very strong and could create burning sensation to infants (7 months) babies. So ppl near by suggested dont try vicks either directly or via steam .... So got confused abt this suggestion after reading from comments of ppl here.

seasme seeds will it get in india.. ?

Our neighbour tried juice of tulasi leaves + honey + omavalli leaves (Ajwain) crushed and giving 3-4 times a day...

But actually this is infected from my husband who got from office .. SO I feel first the cold illness should go from us then only will be cured from baby.Also do babies get throat pain .. usually for us cold is followed by throat pain or cough .. what could be done in that situation of throat pain and cough for baby (7 month old)...

1 person likes this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Are you feeding solids? Does your baby eat rice? Then mash rice with rasam made with pepper/jeera/garlic/omavalli leaves - (tomato or tamarind - whichever he is used to) - this immediately reduces the congestion

Equivalent of vicks = Heat a bit of pure coconut oil + camphor - dissolve and apply on chest and back ! Avoid nose and face!

Sesame is til/ellu/nuvvulu! So sesame seed oil = nuvvulu noona, nallennai, til ka tel !

Avoid outside milk/curd/dairy as much as possible - breast milk ok - it gives the baby comfort apart from immunity etc

Honey not advised for babies less than 1 year !

1 person likes this.