1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

potty training

Discussion in 'Infants' started by shari2003, Mar 3, 2015.

1. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

Could you please share the steps you took to get the babies potty-trained? My younger one has completed 10 months, diaper-free at night (I put her on potty early morning at 4.30-5 as soon as she wakes up), but am unable to put a schedule on place for the day time. I used to successfully get her to sit on potty to poop until about a month back (I hold her in a way that she is comfortable), but these days she does not give those usual signals :( (redness of face/ stopping all activities etc). Have any of you successfully implemented a potty training schedule? Please share. Thanks a ton!

2. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Sorry, dual post.

3. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Yikes, just lost all that I typed. Anyhoo, I used to put my dd on potty every hour since she turned six months and roughly a year later, she understands the concept. She still pees every hour when she is indoors and when we ask her to do, otherwise, when she is playing etc, she holds, until we come back to the potty. So suggest you put your baby depending on her cues, and keep it consistent that she gets used to it.

1 person likes this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi shari2003

My baby (8 mon) is potty trained from 6 - 61/2 months.

I started taking her to potty and she was eliminating. Same in the evening. Now its a routine. I do not follow her cues etc Just take her to potty every morning. There been accidents whenever I delayed in doing stuff my self.

About pee, when I am at home on weekends and she is diaper free, I take her once twice. But its difficult with all the work to remember every hour So she is not pee- trained yet.

A question: how do you leave baby diaper free at night? do you keep changing sheets and pants? I ask because sometimes in sleep, I take her diaper off and do not put fresh one and see everything all wet and feel so bad. I can not get good sleep this wya.

5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for sharing this, hope2b. I think I should try every hour or so, putting her on potty. She is sometimes too reluctant to sit there, and pushes herself to gt up. And, the moment I put her down, she pees and lets out a smile as if to show "fooled you"! I should be more firm with her...

1 person likes this.
  6. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanju,
    My LO was potty trained too for poo. But not anymore :(. She just doesnt show any cues and if I make her sit on the potty, she creates a fuss. Similarly with pee too. But somehow she is able to hold her pee during nights. she pees at around 8.45-9 before I put her to sleep. She sleeps by 9-9.15 and wakes up once or twice for comfort suckling and sleeps back on her own. She wakes only by 5-5.15, and I put her on potty immediately and she pees. She does not bed wet, and the sheets remain dry too.

7. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Hi Shari, yea just try to divert her with some songs or toy, when you take her to potty, and keep telling her to finish her pee or poo. She will get it sooner or later.

From your post it does look like you got one naughty cutie;)

8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I am impressed that your baby is pee- trained too and does not wet bed at night.:)

About not liking sitting on potty, that happens with me a lot. When she has just woken up from evening nap, she is usually cranky and won't sit on potty at all.

Sometimes she won't sit for longer and start crying. Many times we try to divert her attention by showing her toys around potty, dancing and showing tab...things we do just to make her poo.gigglingsmiley Its not 1 person's job, one person holds her and other keeps her busy.

I never understood her cues for pee and poo. If she has not eliminated yet, It would be watching her. Moment she is putting pressure and all red- faced, by the time I will rush her to potty, she would have done it all...:-(