1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Couple of questions (I have a 4 month old boy)

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sandhya13, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I have a couple of queries and I hope you will be able to help me.

1. My 4 month old always wants to sit up since he was 3 months. I initially tried to discourage him but he would not listen to me. He ALWAYS wants to sit straight up. I tried to hold him in inclined position but that was not okay for him. He wants to sit straight up.

Now at 4 months he always sits up of course with us supporting him. A couple of my freinds said not to restrain my child from his natural development and not all babies hit the milestones at the same time. But MIL is so against making him sit straight before he turns 6 months. Anyway he would not listen us and no matter how hard I try to distract/play/discourage him it always ends up in vain. I am worried if it is too early to sit up. He seems to be much comfortable tough. BTW he is a pretty tall baby for his age (97th percentile height) and rolled over at 3 months. His weight is on 50th percentile. Would this hurt him in the long run?

2. I have been exclusively feeding him with breast milk (directly from me when I am at home and from bottle when I am at work). But I got my periods a couple of days before. I was very very nauseous during the first day and could not eat anything. I also had cramps. This is how it always is for me since I was 14. And since I am breastfeeding now, my supply was almost NIL on that day. The next few days it kept improving since I was able to eat something but it nowhere close what my baby needs. I was very much worried about it. Today I am back to my regular diet and still it is not what it used to be. I never expected that I will get periods so soon.

I want to breastfeed atleast till he turns one. I had stored some milk when I had oversupply during the initial weeks and I used those for the past days. My baby has a good appetite and now I have none left out in store. Today we gave him formula after I nursed him. I feel guilty that I didnt work hard enough to save the extra milk when I had oversupply. I am very guilty about that. Now I dont have enough. Will it improve at all? Has anyone gone through this? My MIL says that it will continue to decrease gradually with each cycle. I am very distressed :-(

2. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

1. Your boy seems ready to sit. Looks like due to his weight and height ratio, he is able to support himself. Please encourage what is coming naturally to him. No need to stress, that its early. All babies are different and you acknowledge that. So why worry about your Mil? You are the parent now. Check with the ped if you are concerned and let the elder know.

2. Some get periods within a month as well. Don't worry about that. Top up your supply on low days or try get in more sessions. The milk might catch up to his needs. If he is still hungry, giving formula is not wrong. Some moms don't get the opportunity from day one. So please don't be sad, which is also a cause for low supplies. Keep it going and top whenever needed. You will do fine. Bf milk won't decrease due to periods. There will slight change in flavor due to harmonal changes. So again seek PEDs answer if you are worried and don't forget to let your Mil know;)

You are a great mom and don't worry. You will do great.

3. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @ sandhya13,

I think your baby is doing great.Every baby is different and if he is comfortable just allow him to sit.
    Regarding his food consult your doctor and change his diet accordingly.
    Don't worry. Don't go into any guilt trap.Enjoy your motherhood and be happy.

4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for taking time to reply! I feel better now. I've decided not to worry about my supply. I will just give him what I have and then supplement. He is always a happy content baby.

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sandha13,
    #1, Don't worry much regarding sitting up, my DS was same since 3 months, he always wanted to sit with support. During my ped appointment my doc used to make him sit with hand support while we were talking. I think they like to sit because they were more interested surrounding and by sitting they get a better view. I used to place my DS in a bouncer chair, which he enjoyed as he was much comfortable for him. At that time i used place him in bouncer or play gym were he love the color full toys around him. My DS is 9 months today, he rolled over in 6 th month and started crawling (he was never at once place after crawling), he skipped sitting and now starting to stand.

#2. Regarding BF you have done what best you could, so don't fee guilty. there is nothing wrong in giving formula. To get back ur supply nurse him as much as possible, they get more milk from nursing than pumping. Even thought i did not get my periods my supply dropped after 6 months. Milk we produce is based on baby needs. so don't take stress.

During motherhood, you get 101 suggestions from "N" number of people, but do what you heart say as you know ur kid better than any one and enjoy ur motherhood.

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sandhya13

1#. I think your baby is doing great. As long as your ped is fine, it should be okay. Tell your MIL politely about ped's comment on situation. MIL does not mean harm to her grandson. Her suggestions come from her experience and they can be wrong sometimes.

2#. About not being able to BF and store, do not fall into guilt trip please. It does not help anybody but only you and reduce your supply. Eventually you will come out of it. So let it be sooner and later.

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Let the baby do what comes naturally.ask his dr in our next visit.

breastmilk will be less during periods but will pick up in couple of days . Just keep eating good quantity food and it will increase milk . This is temporary. The breast milk decreases based on your babies consumption in the long run . When he starts solid food , you may find go down but it will be enough for the baby needs .

it is ok to give formula once in a while don't beat yourself up for it. I always used to have bottles of liquid formula with me even though I breast fed my baby . If your supply is low it is always good to feed the baby with formula than let the baby cry.

8. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for taking time to respond to me. It means a lot :)

I know that my MIL means good to her grandson but you are right that sometimes elders could be wrong. Their experience come in handy and useful a lot of times too. So I was rather confused. In such scenario I just follow my babys cues and do what my instinct says. And regarding BF, my supply has come up now. It is close to what it used to be. As you all said not being stressed out helped me a lot. Thanks again ladies :)