1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

19 days old baby, need a supplementary..

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ChillySnow, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ChillySnow

ChillySnow New IL'ite

Hi All,

My sister gave birth to girl baby on 1st week of feb (weight 2.8 kg), she is 19 days old baby and she is 2.4 kg now. Doctor has said if she doesn't put on some weight by next week baby would be admitted in hospital. Inspite of my sis also taking lactare tablets (6 tabs/day) , garlic and paalsorra too there is no sufficient milk for breast feeding. Can any one please suggest any supplementary food to be given to baby along with breast milk.
    Please help...
    :cry:

Thanks,
    Anu.R

A baby is an inestimable blessing and bother. (Mark Twain)

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Please consult doctor about giving formula milk to baby, if you think mother's milk is not sufficient. There are so many brands in the market. "Similac advanced" is very good one.

But before giving, take doctor's advice, as baby is too young.

Also, I heard that new born loose some weight in first few weeks (they loose water content in their body), and then start to gain weight.

3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

She can try formula along with breastfeeding. Ask her to continue breastfeeding too. Formula will help in weight gain too.

4. ChillySnow

ChillySnow New IL'ite

We have consulted doctor and he has given [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Similac advanced (0-6mths) but soon after drinking it she is vomiting it. We have informed this to doctor still he says to continue the same..[/FONT]

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

May be the baby didn't burp after drinking milk. Put baby on shoulders (with hands support on neck) for few minutes or till baby burps.

prepare milk little diluted than said on the milk tin,

Also feed little little as it is new to her, only 1-2 times per day for first 2 days and see how it goes.

6. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

hi,

consult the infant pediatrician @ ur hospital, he will be able to help u decide a formula milk brand.

also provide the mom- healthy nutritious food, lots of water- to keep her hydrated, also milk, juices- fresh home made

and some indian stuff- jiggery, methi etc include in food- it is useful for increasing mother's milk.
    also the more you feed, more milk will be produced. so encourage to feed.

Diet for a healthy breastfeeding mum - BabyCentre

read the link, I am sure itt will help your sister.

regards,
    resmij

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    As many posters suggested, give her formula per doctors advice. Similac is very good but sometimes babies are sensitive to brands.
    Other brands are - NanPro( Indian brand and heard its very good) and Enfamil

Babies do lose weight in first week but it should not be more than 15% of birth weight. Mine was at 13%. After that I started full formula on her.

Along with foods to increase BM supply, pump plays major role. Its difficult to do but that's motherhood.

You can also trying feed frequently with less quantity if vomiting everytime even with burping.

8. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

For increasing breast milk supply, give iron rich food, along with methi seeds (I used all these in my curries or make methi seeds tea and sip it 3 time a day. Don't take more than tsp a day) and lots of water (Barley water is best).
    Don't skip nighttime feeding. It common to have less milk supply at 3 weeks, i had the same issue, my milk supply increased of 2 months. If giving formula, feed first and then finish with formula.