1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mom and Baby having fever and feeling sick Dad not arround what to do

Discussion in 'Infants' started by RedRuby, Feb 22, 2015.

1. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Preethiitech, thank you too for dropping in and your nice wishes. You think i should avoid spicy food? I defrosted a thai style soup (means really spicy and hot) as i thought it will make more sweat which brings out the bad things but now i think i might be wrong as that is more in case of cold and that way i might have even increased the fever :shock: will stop eating spicy soup now.

2. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

More stupid questions: Which temperature i can relax and she will be fine again? Is there a chance it will increase again even its back in the normal area?

As my temperature is still higher then hers do i have to take any other precautions then what pinky2cute already said? Is it true that i have to stop breastfeeding when its above a certain point? Even i dont think so but dont want to take risk

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

darn, i was hoping you would update saying all is well now.

RedRuby, here we take Tylenol (acetaminophen composition) as it is better on tummy compared to advil (ibuprofen composition). I was asked to follow the same for my DD too.

Having said this, are you noting down the temperature for your LO? Make sure to track it. But at that age, its always best to take her to the doctors. Can you reach out to someone today? here they dont give meds without knowing the root cause of the fever.

As for you, if you eat meat, chicken noodle soup is best. Keep hydrated. Try not to stress. sleep when she sleeps. Order in food, dont bother cooking.

1 person likes this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Redruby, I came in to check how you are doing. Keep feeding your baby. BF is soothing to the baby. If she has a nose congestion, you can switch on the humidifier to help her breathe easy. Else switch on the shower (hot water) close the bathroom door and stand with your baby (outside the water) so she can inhale the steam. Does a ton of good.

Also please take her to the doctor now that the week has started.

1 person likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@Redruby

I am late and hope things are better now.

Do not you have any 24hrs line for ped? where you can call and check the symptoms?
    Child tylenol is helpful in mild fevers and pains.

For home remedies for adults, we take ginger +black pepper kernels crushed + sugar + tulasi(if available)..ou could make it water and optionally put black tea and milk in it.

If fever is high, cold water compress on forehead is also done. Then tylenol and other pain killers can be taken.

1 person likes this.
  6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

If the fever is below 38.5 for the baby there is no need to cool down. Paracetamol or similar OTC:s (for infants) can be given per the instructions. Most probably a virus infection so no medication necessary. Sometimes there can be a bacterial infection after the viral infection. The rule of thumb is that fever can go on for three days, after that better to visit a ped.

1 person likes this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Hey Redruby.Just wanted to say ,take care dear.Take care of the both of you. Do have your hot soup and inhale the steam while you have it.If you can take stream...do it.You will feel better and then you can make your little princess feel better.

1 person likes this.
  8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Fever is a sign that your body is fighting against illness. I just felt mild food is better. Definitely soups are mild. But Thai style is supposed to be hot! I am not sure. I think you should take some broken rice porridge with steamchicken or so. Easy to cook, mild, nutritious.
    For vegetarian, I usually make rice rasam dhal thogayal.or rice porridge with buttermilk. My DD usually has this during fever. And water. She won't have appetite for anything else

1 person likes this.
  9. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi everyone got good news :) she is much better fever is down and seems stable now she is just sneezing a bit but didnt developed a cough (touch wood), my fever decreased too so i can take care better of her now.

@Rakhii Im really poor in knowledge about medicines as i seldom fall ill and this was first time my lil one was on top the fever confused me i feel :( so i just had anti colic stuff and this suppository for babies with paracetamol to help reducing fever and pains (and suppository to help when baby has constipation). It seems they helped. Will check on Tylenol as i too heard that ibuprofen isnt good for babies. I tracked her fever fruequently and wrote down on a paper in case i mix something up and it seems good now, touch wood she stays stable. Wanted to get some maggy noodles hope that will work too, had some pumpkin soup which i had in freezer seems it worked as well.

@butterflyice: thanks for popping in :) i dont have a humidifier so i just put a bowl with water on the heater but now im thinking if i should get one.. just in case .. the air in the winter is really dry here in europe maybe you are right and that increased the problem or increases risk, will check on humidifiers now. You are too right that sucking on breast soothes her last night too she woke up to drink much more often then usual and it wasnt "just" because she needed more liquid. Im glad she knows so well what helps her, such a good girl. The shower trick i tried a bit but it seems she hates it :( i tried to put some camilla flowers in a bowl with hot water and tried to inhale the steam with her but she startet crying as she feels uncomfortable it seems.. so i try to watch it.. in case i have some saltwater liquid for babies to drop in the nose here which i can use hope that works too.

@sanjuruby: there where some 24hours lines for emergency but that lady told me these funny thinks about breastfeeding.. otherwise i now heard we just go to the hospital in emergency but i felt so sick i didnt want to travel through the half city with a feverish baby, thought it would make it worse, specially as they told i have to wait there for several hours as they dont know when a doctor would have the time to check on her.. i really have to get more information about the system and what to do in emergency cases as this sounds strange. I didnt have tulsi here so i took ginger, honey, lemon, black pepper and put it in herbal tea im still drinking that mixture and it feels it helps (or i just imagine and its just placebo effect dont know). My mom too did the cold water compress :)

@CrayoNess: do you know how can figure out if its some bacterias too and not just a virus? arnt antibiotics often necessary if its bacterias? As the fever is down now i guess its just been a virus. I called her paed and they said if its increasing again i should visit there so they check on her.

@Yellowmango: oohh yes piping hot soup feels so good when one is sick.. its real comfort food

@Preethiitech: Rassam was the one i was going to make and then changed my mind as i always make it very hot :) it usually helps when nose is blocked maybe feverish-confusion why i thought it would help here too. But your suggestions are very good idea in that case.. actually made me drooling a bit :D :D

1 person likes this.
  10. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

No foolproof way but usually it is a virus if you get a cold. If the fever comes back (and very high) it can be a sign of bacterial infection. Most of these will also go away without antibiotics but better then to check with the ped. Especially inner ear infections are painful and require usually antibiotics.

1 person likes this.