1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mom and Baby having fever and feeling sick Dad not arround what to do

Discussion in 'Infants' started by RedRuby, Feb 22, 2015.

1. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Thanks a lot!

I meassured with clinical thermomether (i got a baby one for her) its a german brand one and said its 38,2 and the display is red discription says if its red its fever. its increasing from 37,3 to 37,8 to 38,2 in several hours (display stores last temperature for comparison).
    I gave her a medicine named ben-u-ron, the doctor gave when she got vaccination.
    beginning of this month she was 8.5 kg she is a tall girl (and chubby).
    She drank milk pritty normal which is huge reliefe to me.
    She is very fussy and cries and moans a lot her head feels hot and her cheeks changed color like she is toothing but she isnt.
    She ate bit pumpkin mash but she cried in between (she is a foody and loves all sort of food so that fussyness is not normal for her).
    No cough
    Nose is alright she breathes freely nothing runny.

Lady in practice told there is infections going arround and i might gave to her as i seem to have same.

2. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Dear Red Ruby,
    You did the right thing by giving her Ben-u-ron which is again nothing but paracetamol suppository... I'm presuming its of 125mg [which should be correct dose for your baby].
    Her temperature should start dropping and max effect you can notice within next 4-6hrs.

Do not give her anymore medicine unless her temperature is increasing or she is having chills or shivering.

I would not think it of any emergency as of yet but do keep monitoring her breathing and her temperature as well as her feeding and urine output.

If you find any changes then plz do reach out to a doctor asap.

And yes, do not take the same suppository for yourself which you have given your baby.

That's a pediatric dose and you taking it will be of no use. I would rather suggest you take oral tablet of paracetamol [whatever brand you get there].

do not use too cold compresses to reduce fever as it would inturn raise the body temperature.

And to be honest, watever epidemic or infectious diseases may be going around in your area, still I would say it's highly unlikely that you would pass it on to your baby through your breast milk.

Keep these points in mind which would atleast help prevent you transmitting any such diseases to your baby :

1)Always wash your hands prior to handling baby
    2)When you sneeze or cough, use a tissue and throw it into dustbin. Wash your hands or use sanitiser before holding baby
    3) If you are not well, try not to kiss your baby face [i know it's difficult to not kiss your baby but atleast try not to untill you are fine]
    4) keep your nipple area clean before and after feeding your lil one.

Take care.

3. pinky2cute

and yes, i would say paracetamol suppositories dose should not exceed max 4 doses in 24hrs.... so plz keep a note of it....

2 people like this.
  4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pinky2Cute,

thanks a lot for your advices. Me to never heard before about mother passing on deaseses to baby over milk but it alertet and shocked me as its never been my intention to harm my baby, i just thought of doing best by giving her breastmilk.

I used dettol hand sanitiser to clean hands hope thats enough as she still got it. Whats confusing me is that we developed fever both exactly same time and over less hours without any other symptom like sneesing.

I breastfed her just again, she seemed calm. She sleeps now as she was very much tired. Im glad she drank enough at least i feel it was pritty much normal. Should i wake her in the night to check her temperature? She will need milk in middle of the night shall i meassure then again? Or will it risk to make her fussy again as i have to undress and wake her up fully to do so?

Relative told me i have to stop breastfeeding if my own temperature increases to high. If it is so why? Is it really true? I actually still beliefe its best to continue bf but im insecure now.

Ben-u-ron has 75 mg of paracetamol the package says i can give her every 6 hours 1.

All im having for adults is panadol (arabic medicine) as i dont understand arab well enough and i dont get french at all i have no clue wether its ok to take during bf :( all i understand is it contains 500 mg paracetamol and 65 mg coffeine which i think is too much for bf... shell i take that or just try without and wait till tomorrow?

5. pinky2cute

75mg is less as your baby weight is 8.5kg

Usual recommended dose for infants is 60mg/kg/day in divided doses.

For your baby that would come to approx 125mg per dose.

Max paracetamol should be given in 4 doses that would be same as giving once every 6hours.

Apart from fever if no other symptoms then it maybe a simple viral fever.

But I wouldn't be able to tell it 100% sure without examining you or baby.

All I would say if she's feeding well and sleeping well with adequate wet nappies, I do not think it should be a major causr of worry.

Yet I would advice to better see a doctor if the fever doesn't subside or you notice any further signs that I already mentioned above.

As a doctor, I highly recommend to continue breast feeding. Rest its upon you to follow it or not.

Need not wake up baby to check temperature. Are you checking her rectal temperature or axilla?

For yourself: paracetamol is totally safe in breastfeeding. Yes caffiene is said to pass on to baby through breast milk making some babies irritable but a nursing mother can at the max consume 300mg if caffiene per day (that includes tablets or tea or coffee).

So for now if panadol is what all you have then take 1tablet to give you relief now. Later you can get only paracetamol tablets sans caffiene.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    5 people like this.
  6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Red ruby

My prayers for you and baby to get well soon. Also remember to eat some mildfood during this time to keep up your energy.

Pinky2cute, doc gud job helping redruby here. May god blessu

1 person likes this.
  7. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister @redruby

Take care of yourself and Baby, Yes BF need not be stopped and manage to eat something for yourself too.

Will keep you in prayers, May Baba get mom and DD to be well soon, SAIRAM

@pinky2cute Sister,

Thank you for the kind help and May Baba bless your home in abundance, SAIRAM

2 people like this.
  8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pinky2Cute, thanks again for your great help and advice i feel really lucky you helped me out so much, may god bless you for your good heart :)

Her fever reduced a lot (i always check rectal as its most precice isnt it?), she drank the whole night so frequently (every alternate hour or 30 mins) and was quite fussy but i felt by kissing her forehead (didnt wake her totally and was quite mashy myself) that it slowly starts to be better. I guess the paracetamol was enough in combination with the milk but you are right i too think its less content. Package says highest dose is for babies over 3 month upto 6 kg´s and mine was already far above that when the doc gave the medicine to us, no clue why he did so.

She plays with her toys today normally even she is moody.

She was coughing a bit in the morning but im not sure if she had something in her throat or its real cough as she stopped doing it.

She can still drink and keeps on being at breast for longer time to comfort herself and have a sip every now and then, i let her to make her relax and get enough liquid plus it assures me her nose isnt blocked as she breathes normally wile sucking.

I didnt take the medicine as i already had a coffe in the morning and was concernd it might be too much coffeine. My fever increased during night with heavy body pain but dropped a bit in early morning out of no reason. I too just kept on drinking like my baby did. So i guess it was just some viral infection and i hope we are over the edge now..

thanks a lot again i hope fever will keeping on decreasing and no more symptoms will come, i keep an eye on her couging in case she does it again.

Thanks a lot again :)

1 person likes this.
  9. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sister Saisakthi, You where totally right, i kept on breastfeeding her during the night and it seems she needed it a lot and it helped her to recover although im not sure if it was more the fact she needed liquid and physical closeness or if the breast milk itself made the difference but it doesnt matter as long it helps. I had some soup so you where right with that too, even we dont feel like eating we should at least try :) and thanks for keeping us in your prayers I beliefe that too helped us :)

1 person likes this.
  10. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi @VanithaSudhir, thank you too for dropping by to help me out, no i couldnt ask someone. I thought of whiping her off with a cold wet towel but got scared to make it worse :( but i guess you are right i should have done it. I used the paracetamol as i dont have crocin here. What do you mean with fits? Im sorry i didnt get it. Else is your suggestion totally right and others who read this should have less concern to whipe baby with tepid water or let the water dry on baby i think it helps.