1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 month baby feeding/formula

Discussion in 'Infants' started by viki123, Feb 21, 2015.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

I need suggestions on finger foods my DS.
    My DS is 9 months and started showing interest in finger foods when he was 8 months. I started with yogurt melts and puffs for him. He was constipated due to puffs so was giving some yogurt melts in the evening. Since this week, he is not allowing us to feed, he wants to feed on his own, and he grabs the spoon and other things. Only way I am able to control him is by placing some finger foods on his high chair plate, he eats what we feed only after he completes what is there on the plate .
    For now I am giving him yogurt melts during snack time (He drinks his milk only after eating those), During dinner/lunch/breakfast small pieces of banana, roasted sweet potato/carrot.
    I have tried giving him blue berries but he can’t swallow the thick skin and starts coughing.
    Could you please suggest finger foods or tips on how to mange him ?
    He also hates formula, if I trick him he takes a sip and stops once he realizes it formula, now days he started smelling it. What formula do babies prefer, I tried Enfamil & baby one organic?
    Actually he was shouting on his caretaker yesterday and she was giving him milk instead of yogurt melts.

2. Avani29

Avani29 New IL'ite

Hi viki123 i have 9 months old son. Surprisingly he was interested in what we were eating more than his food. So i asked health visitor and she told me if ur baby is showing interest in ur food than just try it as now if u start giving him all them taste he is going to taste in future then he won't be fussy or picky, he'll eat everything. Guess what I have started with malted milk biscuits then give him tiny bites from whatever we're eating like chapattis, sandwiches etc.... Now he eats everything except spicy food we do just rub tiny bite chapatti in sauce but not yhat much he didn't like rice when we tried it eats crisps soft ones that can melt in ur mouth patato waffles cheese or jam sandwich etc... His best finger food is biscuits....

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Avani29,
    I tried giving him blueberries but he is not able to swallow the skin and starts gagging.
    I tried to make chapati for him but they turned too crisp instead of soft. I gave him dosa once and idli he was able to eat them. I planning on starting on bread (toast) after i speak to my ped.
    he loves yogurt melts, rice crisps and teething biscuits.

My only challenge with him getting him to drink formula, he hates and it and starts shouting like any thing. If i am at home, i nurse him but when when i am away he is giving tough time to his caretaker. if she gives hims solids like fruits etc he eats and starts playing on his own with out any fuss.

4. Avani29

Avani29 New IL'ite

I know my little one does it as well i feed him sma milk sometimes but mostly let him hold his bottle but he is very lazy not like to hold his bottle or want me to feed him but i talk to him sayin no u have to hold it if u wanna drink it u know babies do understand you if u say something they r really clever. I've tried idli just last week he eat half of it and now i m trying to give him spaghetti and see how it goes. At first i know he might spit it out as its new taste but if he has 3 or 4 times he might like it. My health visitor told me u can feed him anything u want ir food except peanuts as long as he is with u or any elders. When i wanted to start formula milk he wasn't having it at all in starting i had hard time. So i got 5 to 6 new toys or new things anything like mobile house phon water bottle glass or even small keyring anything that can keep his mind occupied whils he was playing with them things i put bottle in his mouth by the time he realised that he is drinking he must have finished half or full of if it took me about 5 to 6 weeks to make him like that to make him understand that he has no choice but to drink that formula milk. Try it u never know grab sny 5 to 6 things that ur baby can play safely without any danger and while baby's attention is on that thing just put milk bottle in baby's mouth. ..

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Avani,
    I tried all tricks with my DS to get him to drink formula. I used to give him formula in the evening when my supply was but less since 2 months. He was fine with that till 5 months of age. At 6 the month he started rejecting, but i used to put him to sleep and feed him. At 7th month he rejected bottle completely used to scream at the sight of bottle and was using sippy cup. He holds the cup on his now and drinks water, BM, juice ect but not formula. I tried adding banana for 2 days he had it and rejected it again. Now a days he is smelling the sippy cup before putting in mouth.
    If i give him toys he will open his mouth once, when he releases its formula, he doesn't open it aging even if I offer some thing different, i have been trying it since 2 months. I tried mixing in his fav fruit but no use.
    He never rejected any food that I offer, for some reason he rejects only formula :bang.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Today morning at he was rejecting milk and my caretaker offered him buttermilk. He was nodding his head and screaming, some how she made him sip once but again he reject it. She left the sippy cup one table and went to do some chore. There was milk cup and butter milk cup, he grabbed the buttermilk cup and finished it with out a fuss.

I have concluded today that he just donsn't want formula