1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me

Discussion in 'Infants' started by aratisajjan, Feb 5, 2015.

1. aratisajjan

aratisajjan Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I delivered a baby girl last month who is 14 days old now. It was a normal delivery with pain induced. After delivery I did not produce any breast milk, not even the yellow thick milk.

Doc gave tablets after 3 days but there was no use. I started to make her suck more n now I see a bit improvement. She was on formula ( lactogen 30 ml) since birth n now I give my milk along with formula. The problem is the moment I put her to my breast, she sucks for 5-10 minutes n falls asleep. She won't wake up even if I trickle her. I feel she must be full n put her on bed, she wakes up after 2-3 mins n starts crying. I have to again put her to breast n she falls asleep.

This continues for an hour or so. Even at night same thing. n I am not able to take rest. My question is how will I make her suck for more time and how will I know if she is full or still hungry? I wonder if my milk is sufficient for her or not.

Sometimes she sucks both breasts for some good 30 mins and starts crying after 30 mins as if she is still hungry.Due to this confusion I still give her formula 2-3 times a day thinking she is not full.

Her sleeping pattern is also not good, she sleeps hardly for 6-7 hours in day/ night. I have heard infants sleep for more than 15 hours.

So please help me with my queries.

2. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @ aratisajjan,

Congrats.Did you discuss with your doctor regarding this.But I think babies waking in night for feed till one year is normal.

Don't you have anyone to help you so that you can take rest whenever baby is taking rest.
    Sorry I am not able to help you much.

3. aratisajjan

Hi harini,

My gync told me there is no medicine to increase BM n I should just make her suck more.
    I have my mother with me, she helps me in day time n I don't want her to stay awake at night too. So I manage at nights. But during day times if my girl cries, I wake up n feed her many times.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @aratisajjan -

I think waking up and crying of small baby is normal. Feed her as much as you can, whenever she demands and if she does not demand for many hours, then also.

You do not want her to loose any weight. I have been through similar issues 6 months back. Looks like you are in India so hire some help. But that will not get you more sleep and let you sleep. First 3-4 months are extremely difficult.

I know everyone says sleep when baby sleeps but it does not happen.

So hang on..
    Regarding increasing BM, I do not think there is any medicine.
    Do you know what tabs doc gave you? Vitamins? Baby is main medium and other is pump. More you pump, more you will get. It increases in no time. Your diet also helps.

soaked fenugreek seeds have been known to help in supply. Some say garlic cloves.

Try to add dry fruits and all those traditional heat producing things which will help your body recover.

When you are Bfeeding, you are suggested to eat prenatal tabs, which are given in pregnancy ( and when trying to conceive). I know in India docs give these days.

Talk to your doc about all these issues.

6. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

Hi @aratisajjan, congrats on the arrival of your princess.
    try to pump milk and see how much you are producing . Try to pump for 20 minutes . Also at night pump and Keep so that your DH can feed her and you can utilize the time to take rest .

include garlic in your food daily , have enough milk and water . Try mothers Horlicks and have it thrice a day . All these helps to increase BM . Avoid stress and stay positive. Soon your DD will latch properly . Just give yourself and her sometime to settle down dear . Eat well and stay healthy .

7. nikitaram

nikitaram Silver IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Many congratulations on your new baby and welcome to the roller coaster ride of breastfeeding!
    Regarding baby falling asleep at the breast, maybe u have a slow let down so the baby is falling asleep. Is it possible for you to pump a little before putting ur baby to the breast? If she falls asleep change her diaper- this worked for me! Also check if the latch is fine only then will the milk transfer be good.
    If your baby has a good number of wet nappies and is gaining weight that means she is getting enuf milk.
    Regarding baby crying for feed every 30 mins, in the initial few months this is very normal. Remember breastfeeding is not just abt milk. Its also abt comforting and nuturing ; some babies love comfort sucking. Forget the clock and feed on demand. Eventually you will settle into some sort of routine. The initial months are tough but it will get better.
    Even I had read that newborns sleep 15 hrs a day , I wish my baby did! Once the feeding is established the sleep routine will also fall in place.
    If you are in bangalore, you can visit a lactation consultant who can help you with breastfeeding issues like latching , supply etc. I went to the LC at cloud nine jaynagar and it really helped.
    Hang in there, it definitely gets better with time. Dont forget to enjoy your baby, shes never going to be a 15 day old again:)

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

How is your baby's weight gain? Is she having at least 8-12 wet nappies per day?

My dd used to sleep at my breast too and she was not gaining weight. It was as though she didn't have the energy to suck. So, I'd pump first and once the let down starts, I'd give her the breast. Or give the ounce of formula first so she has the energy to suck (combinewith pumping and she should suck more.)

take a teaspoon of methi seeds and soak it in 4-5 spoons of yoghurt overnight. Then the next day eat a spoon of it every couple of hours - when the methi has soaked up all the cute, add more curd. This increased my milk supply vastly. Didn't cause cold or other issues for my child. All the best.

9. aratisajjan

Thank you all for your valuable suggestion. I reduced the formula to just 2 times yesterday to see how she reacts, was giving my milk in between.

She started crying profusely after 15 mins feeding n my mom was scolding me telling im not giving her sufficient formula:hide:. So I gave her formula again.

She won't sleep while giving formula. N May be I have a slow let down as Nikitaram mentioned. I am planning to consult a paed.

Nikitaram@ I did not deliver in cloudnine, can I still consult a LC ? How much will they charge?

10. nikitaram

nikitaram Silver IL'ite

Hi aratisajjan,
    You can consult the LC in cloudnine even if u dont deliver there. Ask for sister ruth. They charge 350 rupees per visit.