1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 7 month does not crawl

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Feb 4, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My 7 mo baby has not started crawling yet and she does not do tummy time.
    Sometimes I put her on tummy and she cries like anything and for 15 minutes she will keep crying to scare us to not to repeat it. So I guess her muscles did not strengthen.

I know another 8 mo old baby that used to crawl on tummy by 8 months. My baby,scoots to pick toys, but does not go further but if needed, she will cry to show frustration.
    She got her teeth at 5 months that I heard sometimes slows other developmental activities.

We also have activity walker (that closed kind in US) for help to strengthen her legs.
    Anyone else had the problem? do we need to worry?

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

No, you need not worry. At least not yet. mine didnt crawl until after 8 months and didnt walk up to 14 months.

3. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

give her more tummy time. if she does not like to be on the floor, put her on top of you till she gets more comfortable. try and distract her with toys.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

She will start crawling when she is ready. Increasing tummy time (which she does not seem to like) will only make her irritable. She will figure it out on her own. Trust her!

1 person likes this.
  5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Give her tummy time, thats what I did. Do tummy time for 1-2 minutes, shorter time, but 2-3 times a day. Its ok if you forget some days, I did. But keep doing tummy time 2-3 times a day for 1-2 minutes and she will get used to it. If she cries, dont continue for longer then a few minutes.

Dont worry, mine started crawling at 10 months, that to the army crawl, where she would drag herself forward. She started crawling on all fours at 11-12 months. She is 14 months and we are patiently waiting for her to walk, she can hold furniture and walk, but is too scared to let go :)

I too was worried, but its normal, each child has there own pace. Mine didnt roll over by herself till 8 months. She just got her 2 front teeth at 13 months too. Yes I have heard too that if they get there teeth early, it slows development in other areas. Not sure if its true though.

Be patient and things will fall into place.

Cooks

6. sanjuruby3

Thanks @cooks2010. Thats relief to know similar experience. In person, whomever i know or even random talked, their babies starting crawling at 7/8 mon and then if I tell she does not even roll over....they get surprised :shock: which scares me.

We give her tummy time strictly now though she hates us for that and cries for 15 min after to punish us.

She got just 2 teeth very early stopped right there..no more teeth also.
    Here only progress now is here sound box in her throat which gets louder each day and learns more sounds.gigglingsmiley

7. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

@sanjurubi3 dont worry mine is 6 month and she just slowly gets used to tummy time too.. im a tiny bit more stubborn then her. Innitially when she startet to make a ruckus i sat down with my legs a bit pulled towards me so they would make a triangle shape where i can lay her with head over my knees so she has a nice view. I figured out her problem was that she couldnt view as good as she could on her back. then i lengthend the time and lowerd the legs... in between turned her arround (gave a lil push at her hips to make her notice how to do it). The moment she lay on her tummy i placed her favourite toys in front of her to distract her and make her happy, that way she would calm down and try to reach with her hands which strengthens the back muscles. Know she is able to push up her full upper body and i slowly support her by putting her bottom up (did start not long ago) even after one day (repeated same several times) she realised the movement. First it was hard for her to hold arms and front and legs same time so i supportet her lil bit. Now she can hold both same time for few seconds upto 1 minute max. so i start to help her move slowly back and forth. She is still complaining often as she is very bad with keeping patience. Just thought of telling you how i do it as yours might be a lil i need the best view and hate it if i cant do it right away perfectionist as well :) my way is not bullet proofed its just what i did and so far it helped.
    BTW must be too cute her smile with those lil teeth :) :) how adorable

Please keep in mind many babies need long time to learn crawling, in our baby group are several 9 month olds who sort of layaway by just using their arms looking like little seal babies

8. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

It may not be really possible to predict a baby's development, like which milestone he/ she may complete when. And, each baby is different.

My baby (completing 10 months today) does not crawl, she spends very less time on her tummy too. She used to roll over and back, that's it; showed discomfort if her tried to make her lay on her tummy for more than a minute or two. I had consulted my pediatrician after she completed 8 months, and the doc said not to worry as long as she is rolling over and back. She said crawling is not considered as a must-do milestone.
    Instead, doc asked us to help her with exercises to sit up. By the beginning of 9th month she began slowly sitting up on her own, and then started to scoot forwards within a week. So, that is how she commutes now, she sits up and uses her limbs to push forward.

So, some children may not crawl, but, they would go through other milestones at the right time. Do not get tensed.

9. sanjuruby3

Thanks a lot girls.

@RedRuby You baby is younger than mine so please keep doing tummy time whatever way she is comfortable. Then slowly they gain their own personality and start showing attitude like mine does. Yes, her 2 teeth looks very cute always showing up :) like we mad at her for not showing progess, she shows 2 teeth always.

But seems she wants and tries to pull those out with whatever she finds - tiny ropes/threads on toys, by stucking toys edges in there on purpose and I get worried :spin

@shari2003 - Did your doc say roll-over is a must-do milestone? Mine does not roll-over.thinkingsmiley . My ped is not much worried. TUMMY TIME is only MANTRA chanted.

My girl looks okay otherwise... no other developmental issues seen so far.

10. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Some babies skip roll over, your doctor is right, I have seen babies who sat up and skipped roll over.

Please do not worry, my son did roll over when he was 4 months but crawled only when he was 10 months