1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My baby fell on floor

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jan 27, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I know you all are going to curse me for being a bad mother and I have been in guilt for past few days.

I never leave my baby on high areas without support for a minute and fight my DH when he does. For same reason I have her play-mats with toys on ground.

Now that she sits comfortably it is tempting leave her for a bit to do things quickly like grab something.

One reason I am posting this so others do not do this.

This bad day I had to see, I sat her on our wooden & slippery dining table with a toy and sat with her. Suddenly I moved my attention to pending household chores and moved a second away to pick something off floor. And to my horror, she was on floor......shakehead. Feel on her back, hit the chair , on floor hit her head.. OHHHHHHHMGODDD....:-(((((((((((((

For a second, I could not gather what just happened. Then instead of picking, I started crying loudly. She was crying and me & DH both crying. I thought I lost her... She was quiet after we gave her toy and we took her to immediate care. We both kept on crying.

I hate they took so much time diagnosing her. Because she was quiet and somehow ER scares us more, and immediate care was near as compared to ER so we took her there.
    They checked her reflexes, ears,eyes etc. Everything was okay except her knee bruised. We were told to observe her for few days.

Please ladies ...do not repeat what I did.

Me & my DH look at dining table & it rewinds in my brain. My darling was born after 10 yrs and when we was on hurt, everything was playing in my mind..her conceive, her birth, her eyes when born ..

Please never leave your babies unattended for a minute.

2. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Dont beat urself so much over this...My DS must have fallen off the crib/bed atleast 5 times in his first year...do check if she throws up or shows any distinct behavior. If not, just relax and enjoy parenting.

3. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

i understand ur pain.. also god grace nothing happen .. also kids have a great rebounce system i guess... they rarely get hurt when falling from tables and bed... many cases i hav seen kids fall from bed and tables but they hurtfree .... all said may be angels protect them.

4. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Mine fall down from bed when she was 7 months.Ofcourse she cried sometime later she was normal.
    Make sure to observe her for few days.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just watch the baby for a few days. I'm sure she is going to be fine. I've lost count of the number of times both my kids have fallen and hot themselves when they were learning to walk. My DS even now gets bumps and bruises regularly. Don't worry. If you need to put the baby on a table use a bouncer or something. That's safe.

6. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Dont worry, it happens with all. My elder daughter fell off from a kitchen chair when she was 9 months. I was really very tired of getting her down and warning her not to climb up. That evening, I just said if u climb u'll fall down, I came to the living room to give a coffee cup to my husband, there she fall face down + series of her crying.

Second episode - she was just behind my back holding my shoulder when I was putting my contact lens and in a fraction of second when she came to front to see my face, she slipped down this time face up but was very terribly shocked and me too unexpected this, so I cried/shouted, and her eyes went upwards and there was no voice coming out of her mouth but her mouth was open for crying, I just shook her very hardly then after few seconds she cried.

So kids do make all these scares in most of the family and these things dont make you a bad mother, but yes we have to keep an eye on these ppl every second. Having all these experiences, do you think I've any trouble free with my second one no - she got hit herself the maximum number of times from the sofa/table, just plain walking/running. Am kind of used to all these now. Dont worry. Everything will be alright, just watch for her throwing up/sleep patterns. Just in a day or two she should be perfectly alright

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am going to disappoint you and not curse you. Rather I am smiling - at memories of similar incidents from when my kid were babies and toddlers. The time my kid's fingers got jammed in the automatic closing car door. Driving her to the pediatrician I am crying and unable to see through tears, while she is normal enough in her car seat.

My pediatrician told us he once had a dad who brought in a baby. Baby had fallen off when the dad was changing diaper and momentarily distracted. After doctor said all was fine, the man was begging the doctor not to tell his wife as he was sure she would kill him. The pediatrician solemnly promised not to tell the mom.

Just an hour later, the man himself calls up his wife and tells him what happened, and sincerely takes the scoldings.. which continued for days. :)

Parental guilt and second-guessing... are part and parcel of parenting. Even required to an extent. Just don't beat yourself up too much over it. Learn from it, count your blessings that all is OK, and resolve to be more watchful.

sindmani, Rakhii, indoc and 1 other person like this.
  8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you girls for all your kind words !
    I know if my DH did this, I would have killed him. But it was me, he did not say a thing. He is very sensitive and I saw him sobbing so many times after the accident and it makes me feel so guilty.

You are right.. angels protect babies. They are so tiny & delicate o my:-(godd... I remember my infant brother in India had bus accident he was travelling in mothers lap and he was safe with no scratch. Another bus accident when he was 4-5 yrs older and he was injured badly.

1 person likes this.
  9. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Soory for u!! hope all is well and she is fine.!!console1

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sanju, you could use a hug. Sending you a big hug all the way from Canada. Now, don't beat yourself for this!

I am sure you thought of some ways to prevent this in future. here is my advise anyway, even for a second, place the baby on the floor. Or if you need the baby to be in one place (when you shower/ use washroom etc), use a playpen, use a high chair etc so that she is properly buckled. That way, you dont have to rush back in less than 2 seconds.