1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby getting frequently sick at daycare

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mariegold, Jan 24, 2015.

1. mariegold

mariegold Junior IL'ite

Friends,

My daughter was very healthy until she joined daycare, we joined her daycare at 6 months and she has been getting sick often. I was told that kids going to daycare get sick, but she is getting sick every two weeks, this time she is down with something serious and I feel very nervous about it. We are going to keep her home now but I am worried if I send her back she will get sick again :(

We did a lot of research about daycare and chose what we thought was best in terms of health, care and hygiene.

Both me and my husbands employers dont encourage work from home, hence we were not comfortable leaving the baby alone with Nanny, our parents are in India so they cant help us either, parents have asked to send baby to India but we are not able to make up our mind to send baby to India

How did you make your babies feel comfortable with daycare enviroment, what other thing can be done so that baby does not get sick often ?( we give her all kids of fruits and veggies to boost her immune system and she was bf)

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Mariegold,
    I faced with same problem with my son. We started his daycare at 4 months in the month of October and he was sick very often and got 3 back to back year infections due to cold and side effects due to continuous use of antibiotics.
    We spoke to our pead and he said it common for babies who attend day care and flue season makes it worse.
    Most of my friends and colleagues told me that when ever you join your kids to day care or school they will have to got go through this irrespective of age. They just have to build their immune systems. They will be fine as long as they are at home.

For now we took him out day care and hired a nanny and using homeopathy to build his immune system. We are planning to send him back to day care starting summer when he turns 1.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Don't send your kid to India. My goddaughter's parent did this when she was 11 months and brought her back a little less than two years later. She is 8 now and a good little girl but still a little messed up about relationships so I feel she is not totally bonded with them. Don't do it.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Do not send the child away, it would be extremely traumatic for the baby!

Children get sick in daycare because of the amount of people. Cold/flues spread by viruses and the more people involved the increased possibility there is that someone having a virus (or their siblings/parents etc). That is why for babies it is better to have a nanny or family care. The risk can be slightly decreased with good hygiene, washing hands, having napkin when sneezing/coughing etc.

Consider a nanny or then take some time off. Children are more resistanat when they are growing up, already when they are 2 the rate will go down.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Most babies go through this. Even if you send her to india now, when she returns and starts school, you are going to end with the same problem. The reason they fall sick often is because they are building their immune system. Until that is stable, they do fall sick. As such, my daughter also fell sick frequently until she turned two. Then it started getting better.

some of the things you can do is to wash her hands when she comes home or from Parks etc. keep the snatinizer with you and use it should there be a need. Add vitamin C rich food to her diet.

It it will get better. Don't worry.

1 person likes this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

hi mariegold

I have not heard any kid in daycare not getting sick. Some say it is good for immunity buildup.

At 3 months, we had daycare arranged for our baby & I was very emotional about leaving her in bunch of kids. Suddenly one friend told me nanny option that she was doing. We had dejected that time ans husband was totally against it. You know cash pay and single person coming home to take care reduces accountability...

So we had options - Leaving baby to India, or Day-care or Nanny.

After googling a lot, I found out kids get sick a lot in day-cares, and we started thinking about it. We thought to give it a go, for 1 month or many be till summer.
    With 1 person WFH with nanny.
    It been just few months and I think we are okay with this option and we are thinking to start going to office fully as its difficult with manager asking all the time. I feel guilt all the time in meetings.

Many at work suggested leaving kid of India is good because kids build up immunity and they learn very fast, grandparents take great care. Someone said daycare to build up immunity. But by then we had nanny already. And leaving baby away :-((( no..

If possible, talk to your manager about "work from home" for some days in a week & try to alternate with your husband with nanny at home.

Now at daycare also if baby is sick, your work suffers. Or try to reduce no of days at day-care & part time nanny with WFH.

Do you have option to wait for daycare till summer? kids get more sick in fall/winters.

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

It just suddenly popped into my mind and I logged in to find this post and reply.

Can you find shared private care option? Like having nanny at some friend's place taking care of 2 or more kids. Its cheaper and win win for everyone. Or some friends running private family daycare with cash. No 3rd unknown person as nanny.