1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Flu vaccine necessary I and II much necessary for 6 month old baby??

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutebarbie, Jan 22, 2015.

1. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My DS is 7 months old. Doc said to take flu vaccine for my son.. Dosage Flu vaccine I at 6th month, and Vaccine II at 7th month..
    But the vaccine was not mentioned in Immunization chart.. When asked, he said the vaccine is for swine flu, etc and the immunization chart prepared 3 or 4 years back, and thats why not mentioned in it..
    My DH not interested to get my son vaccined for flu.. He is saying that it is better to follow immunization chart for now. What ever other vaccines we can take it up later after 1 or 1.5 years..
    Did anybody get your kid vaccined for this swine flu, other flu?
    Please reply asap..
    plz

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I suggest you get a second opinion from another doctor.Swine flu is becoming more common and small babies are susceptible.

3. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

thanks yellowmango.. i would definitely ask somebody else..
    Can others in IL, please tell your suggestion on this??

4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

To my knowledge flu vaccine is a yearly vaccine . 1st time you get two doses and next year inwards you get 1 dose . Since it is yearly vaccine , it is not part if immunization charts .

it does not protect completely against flu but the symptoms will be less and suffering will be less of you happen to catch flu .

If flu is very prevalent in you area, it is good to take .

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's s nice to have and not mandatory and hence not in the AAPs vaccine chart. Btw, the flu vaccine doesn't protect against all forms of the flu. Not sure of swine flu but my family got the flu shots before leaving on vacation, I don't take it, so I didn't get it. The rest of my family got the flu while I didnt. The doc there said it was swine flu and vaccine doesn't cover it. I don't take it because I feel my natural immunity will go down.

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi CuteBarbie

My baby also got Flu vaccination at her 6months visit and next flu shot is after 1 1/2 months.

Before having baby, when I was pregnant, I had planned about not having those unnecessary vaccinations - like flu shots , travel vaccinations which just interfere in building immunity.

I was strongly against travel vaccination for India visit and actually felt offended being Indian myself.
    Now after having her, I give her everything that I think will keep her safe. It is your personal opinion. If I did not get her flu-shots and god forbid, she catches flu, I willl be guilt-filled my whole life.

7. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Flue vaccine is not mandatory for an otherwise healthy child - This is what my doc said. You have Paediatrics doctor here who can answer your questions online for free. May be you can ask one of those doctors here Pediatrics - Health for Kids - Kids