1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 month old not sleeping at night

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Butterflie, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

My DD used to sleep well up untill a month ago. SInce then, she wakes up every hour. Literally every hour. She just has to be fed to sleep. The moment I try to free her, she starts crying. If I make even the tiniest little noise, she wakes up. She has to be rocked in her bouncer in the mornings for her naps.
    She used to be a good sleeper and now, its being really hard for be. Its been so darn long since I had a good night's sleep and its taking a toll on my day.
    Also she has constipation issues since I started solids. She drinks around 6 oz of water but still.
    Please advice me.
    Thanks

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@butterflie she is probably teething. Babies change every month. Its very normal. Are you feeding her enough before going to bed? I know what you're talking about good night's sleep. Hang in and eventually it will be ok. If she is constipated you need to watch which food constipates her. Try giving fruits and veggies daily to ease it. Chances are constipation may hurt her tummy in the night and she could be cranky. Try changing her food and see.

2 people like this.
  3. momhappy

momhappy New IL'ite

Dear Butterflie,

My baby is also the same may be bcoz of the weather. Is it very cold in ur place? I put her on myself and sleep so my body heat will be there for her. starting from one month until I went to India. when I gone there she completely changed slept in the bed. my baby also wakes up for all the sounds So I kept the fan inside. Its will be little helpful but its a phase. It will get improve. Dont worry.tc

1 person likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Try using white noise(say static on the radio) when she sleeps. That helps tune out other noises.

If her weight gain is normal and you have fed her well during the day, get her dad to comfort her when she wakes up. In a couple of days, once she knows that she isn't about to get to comfort suckle however hard she cries, she will start sleeping better. Ride it out over a couple of weeks, then the child will sleep better.

He could offer her water in a bottle instead of you breast feeding her. (Of course infants under 9kg -I think, please check up - should not be given water at all since it could cause electrolyte imbalance.)

1 person likes this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@Butterflie -Waking every hour is really difficult for you... as other posters said - she could be teething or it could be gas. Solids introduction does cause problems till body gets adjusted.

Do you really give 6oz of water to baby? Is it suggested by your ped? My baby is same age - 6 +mon.

Ped suggested to start giving water 2 oz/day in a sippy cup.(My baby is little less 9Kgs). I think she gets just few drops for sippy cup as she does not know yet.

For constipation and gas : Are you giving her gripe water? We also gave saunf/ajwain home made drops to our baby in those days.

Heeng around navel is another home remedy and few exercises: lying on tummy, pressing around navel to help relieve gas, warm water bath.

Change the food habits of baby (like less oats)and yours if bf'ng. Actually Bf'ing babies poo more. If constipation is persistent, talk to ped. Sometimes my baby holds more than 24 hrs and gets very gassy.

another thing i can suggest is: Since 6 months is beautiful and active age. Make you baby play a lot, let her kick her legs, do all kind of stuff they do....so she gets tired and sleep and she gets her exercises.

Try white noise or rocker that has in-built vibrators if she likes. My baby sleeps in rocker and we transfer her to bed.

1 person likes this.
  6. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Chitra: I though so too about the teething. BUt Im not able to understand and check if she's teething. everything seems to be the same. I got her teethers, though she mouths everything else with the same zest.
    A friend told me to feed her prunes for the constipation. I have to check on that.
    Thanks for ur suggestions. :)

7. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Yup, its pretty cold here. She sleeps good when she is beside me, feeding. SO, yea, That could also be the problem. The blanket never stays on her!
    Thanks for ur suggestions. :)

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@butterflie Are you using pj's or sleep sack? They help a lot in cold weather.

1 person likes this.
  9. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

The dad is completely useless. Says, he has to work the next day.
    I tried the ferber method and let her cry for 3 days for about 40 mins each day. The third day I realised maybe this is one of the cases the thing dint work on. :((
    she took the pacifier when she was younger. Now she promptly throws it away.
    I will try the white noise. Thank you for your suggestions.

10. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

The doctor said i coupd give 6 oz as long as she can take it. I give it to her in a bottle.
    Sometimes I give her gripe water. How may times a day can it be given ?
    i will try the hing . Thank you for the suggestion.
    evenif she plays for a long time and gets tired, she gets cranky but doesnt sleep. I have to rock her in a bouncer. :( .