1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 month old not sleeping at night

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Butterflie, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

I use the pjs and then put a hoodie on it. But the hands always get stone cold. Mittens are always chewed-on and damp.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Butterf, which solid foods are you giving the baby and at what times? If the problem started after introducing her to solids, it could be that she is not yet ready to take solids. Yes, sometimes kids take longer to be able to digest solids.
    Let me know her meal and sleep times and we will see if something is off there.

3. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Hi rakhi..
    The problem certainly started after solids. I gave her only once a day, a little rice cereal. I stopped giving it for a week but it dint change. So i Started solids again.
    Usually i give her a fruit mixed with cereal in the morning and our regular rice and dal in the evening . I also noticed that she stays full for a little longer in the night that way. In between she takes milk.
    she naps well in the morning. 2 or sometimes even 3 naps. Only in the night she has a problem staying asleep for more than an hour.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Maybe 'staying full for a longer time' is causing her some discomfort. She might be gaseous because of dal.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

When exactly does she have her dinner? Is there at least a 2 hour gap between dinner and sleep? Also, maybe the dal is not sitting well with her. Can you try and mix veggie (like beans or carrots) with rice and see if its easier on her tummy?

Having said all this, perhaps she is going through a growth spurt. When they are going through that phase, they do feel hungry more often.

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Butterflie- My baby is somewhat of same age and in same phase.

We have to rock her in the night. She gets tired in the evening and cranky, sleepy eyes so will start crying. She used to wake up, look around, small cry, then go back to sleep if we shift her from crib to bed with us. Now a days, she has started waking up, play and lot of crying.

Sleep sacks do not work on her and never have. I put fleece PJ's with sweats. How is your room temp?

I am asked to give max 2 oz of water in sippy cup. She drinks just few drops yet.

7. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

I will try giving only veggies and see how it goes. The doctor doesnt even seemto consider it as a problem.
    Im really lost and clueless.

8. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Lots of issues right? The baby was much easier to handle when she was younger. I seem to be getting everything wrong.
    My room temp is 71. She takes cold much better than heat. As is the case of all US born kids.

9. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

I will stop giving dal and see how it goes ramya.

10. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My baby has started waking up and crying relentlessly in the night ( 3-4 am). She sleeps very late that too after lot of crying, rocking, jumping..then wakes up early morning 6 am (which is normal for babies) but now waking and crying loudly at 3am ..ohmm
    we are losing our sleep and feel fatigued whole day.
    Nanny suggested no grains porridge and no veggies for gas...Not that I give her a lot but will see if it helps tonight.

Then what are the options for dinner- just rice khichadi, fruits are colder
    Any other suggestions?