1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Red rashes on babys face

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jan 15, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My 6 months girl has reddish rashes on her face and there are days they look agitated and very red.

Its on area near to neck, like they are from rubbing chin area with her dress. Also her skin on that part is very dry and kind of tiny bumps ( seen in bright light).
    Ped said its just dryness or heat rash etc.

I can see it more these days. One day I came home from work, it looked so severe like reddish color smudged cheeks and chin (like a clown). I bathed and oiled her well and changed into cotton which took away.

We thought its her woollen sweaters rubbing against skin (do not how cheeks got the rash) or formula soaked then dried bibs. It went away after bath but I see often.
    I moisterize her a lot( with Burt bees oil, lotion, Vit E oil) but her skin seems to be dry all the time. We have room temp at 75 and humidifier.

Please suggest.

2. Orchids1

Orchids1 Senior IL'ite

Congratz on your baby @Sanjuruby3! You can try Cetaphil moisturizer for your DD. I used it on my DD in winters when her skin turns red and dry and it works.

If it still continues or gets worse, take her to Pediatrician to check in person.

3. sanjuruby3

Is it Cetaphil for babies or regular? Did someone try Aquaphor also?

4. Orchids1

Orchids1 Senior IL'ite

I tried the regular cetaphil cream..not the lotion.

Don't know about aquaphor.

5. sanjuruby3

Update so others can benefit.

I found Aquaphor Healing Ointment in the store and using it. My baby's face is far better today morning. Also switched her oils - tried mustard oil instead of coconut oil in last night massaging. Will get Cetaphil also.
    I am very glad as her face was so bad,..

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sanju, unless you are taking the baby outside, keep her in cottons. Who takes care of the baby when you are gone? Instruct them as well about it. Also, how often do you bathe the baby?
    i massage mine with almond oil and use Aveeno baby. Seems to work. Don't change anything if the current one is working.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sounds like eczema.

As per 2 different paeds:

Oil will clog the pores thereby increasing the rashes. You can use oil for massage or for pre-bath. Use moisturizing cream/lotion for dry skin.

I use Aquaphor baby.

8. SwarnaMarshall

SwarnaMarshall New IL'ite

Hi OP
    My DS (now 7 months old) also had these red rashes around his chin when he was 6 months old. It started around the time I started him on solids and faded away in two weeks on its own. I guess it's skin reaction to food. If your doc says it's ok, just wait and watch.

9. sanjuruby3

My daughter had these tiny bumps and small rashes from the beginning. We had thought its wool sweaters or wet bibs touching and rubbing against that area. Only that it has got worse at the point she looked like painted red.
    And I started worrying and guessing - food reaction or wool or bib.

Doc had said dryness and Aquaphor.

Now I am happy its gone with aquaphor. This is now new staple in my home.