1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping pattern of 3 month old baby boy - Please help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sandhya13, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

My baby is 3 months old and I am very concerned about his sleeping pattern. Please pour in your suggestions.

My baby has always been a good sleeper. He can fall asleep by himself and he needs little comforting from me to fall back asleep when he wakes up in the middle of his nap. He usually falls asleep around 10 PM and wakes up around 8 AM. Of course he wakes up to nurse in between this time and quickly falls back asleep.
    First 6 weeks - he used to wake up once in 2-3 hours at night for milk and then fall back asleep. With time, the duration between feeds increased.

At 8 weeks - he will nurse around 10 PM and then sleep for 5 hours at a stretch, again feed around 3 AM and then sleep for 5 hours at a stretch and get up around 8 AM for feed. When I checked with his pediatrician about this he said that it is fine and not to wake him up in the middle of sleep. He was at 46th percentile weight and 56th percentile height at that time.

Now at 3 months - he nurses around 10 PM and then sleeps for 7 hours at a stretch. Then feeds around 5 AM and falls back asleep. He feeds again around 8 AM. I am very much concerned about this. If I wake him up after 4-5 hours, he gets mad at me and screams at the top of his voice. And then he immediately falls back asleep when I let go of him.

His day time feeds are fine. BTW, he is both breast and bottle fed but exclusively with breast milk. These days he is mostly bottle fed. At night he is always bottle fed since he would not suck properly from breast as he wants to go back to sleep as soon as he can. He has a good number of wet and dirty diapers and has always been active. His weight gain is also fine. Is it okay that he feeds only twice in 10 hours period at night? My DH tells me not to wake him up anymore as it upsets him. Please let me know what you think. I am very worried as breast milk gets digested quickly. Drinking from bottle is easy compared to nursing from breast. It seems he doesnt want to even do that in sleep until he is really really hungry. What should I do?

Another thing is his day time nap. He does not sleep continuously for 2 hours. He sleeps only 30 mins and then wakes up for some time and then again sleeps for 30 mins. Sometimes it is 1 hour and rarely 2 hours at a stretch. Overall he sleeps 14+ hours but not 2 hours at a stretch in day time. At night it seems he is having a deep sleep and doesnt want to be bothered.

2. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I read somewhere that nursing frequently and sleeping well are essential for brain development. He nurses frequently during daytime but doesnt do that at night. He sleeps very well at night but not 2 hours at a stretch during day. He started looking at our face and focussing well since 6 weeks and he started to respond well (by smiling back, trying to talk etc) since he was 8 weeks old. He started to try to roll over from 2 months and now at 3 months he can roll over from belly to back. He is still trying to do back to belly. He has always been a happy and not a fussy baby. Am I woried unnecessarily? I think I just need some reassurance that it is okay to keep me at peace.

3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Sandhya13 You're one lucky mom to get that kind of sleep. Count your blessings. At 3 months he will be able to gauge and tell when he needs milk. Don't be surprised if all this changes upside down in a month or so. That's how babies are. Since you baby is in good weight scaled with good number of diapers I think he is perfectly normal. You need to be alarmed only when your ped says so. Also getting rid of night feeds is the hardest if he is already doing so I suggest you let him be and don't disturb him.

3 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You are one LUCKY mom! I am telling you! I completely agree with Chitra. Your son is blessed :) and so are you :)

If he is getting enough wet dipers, then just let him be. Since he is 3 months old, he will wake up when he is hungry.

Regarding the daytime naps, do you follow any routine? I used to take her out for a walk (weather permitting), then change her cloths, feed her and then put her for nap (in a dark room with a night light). It is common for babies to wake up when are at a stage of REM (rapid Eye moment). For my DD, after 20 minutes, she used to wake up. So, as she is waking up, i used to slowly pat her. After doing it for several days, it increased from 20 minutes to an hour and eventually to 2 hours (takes more than a months practice at times). Try this. When you see him moving or waking up, pat him gently or say shhhhh.

3 people like this.
  5. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Rakhi and Chitra for your kind words :) You gave me huge relief!!

I will not disturb my baby from now on and let him sleep as long as he wants. Anybody who sees him asleep will start a fight with me for even thinking to wake him. He would be having such a peaceful deep sleep. Thank God for that! Jai Sri Ram!

I was actually waking him up with a heavy heart calming myself that it is for his good. From now on I will never do that. Moreover I just joined back work. So, a good night sleep is much needed for me at this point. My DH said last week that he will take care of night time plus early morning feedings from then on so that I can sleep well. And in return I was mad at him and scolded him even today morning that just because he wants to sleep he is not feeding our baby properly by not waking him regularly at night for feed. Poor guy, he felt very bad. I feel very very sorry for that. I was just being a silly over protective mom. I am going to call my DH now :)

@Rakhi - Regarding day time naps, I never followed any routine. In fact I never followed any routine with my baby for anything. I just go with it and do whatever he wants to. I now realise that it is common for babies (esp with RED) to wake up quite often during daytime. My MIL is now taking care of my baby while I am at work and I will tell her to do as you suggested. Thank you :) Hopefully he will be able to take longer day time naps soon.

6. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I meant babies with REM not RED :bonk