1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

travelling with infant

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

So we want to take our 6 months old to India soon to meet relatives and I am really afraid. We go to Delhi airport, then my husbands place and my place which are like 3 triangle ends that has to be covered with domestic flights.
    We spend about 30 hrs in flight.

My ped said we should till she is 15 or atleast 12 months. But we can not.

I am just confused how to plan all this and make the trip less traumatic. Here its difficult to take her to mall or library.

Each day doing something extra, small trip to grocery with baby etc ...means less attention to baby or baby chores.., means losing so much ..
    her solids training, her sleep schedule disturbed, or her diaper free time or her excercises or her food prep..or bottle care..

I may sound too obsessed, but for that reason, I could not go to gym.

so If some one could give me their trip experience and tips ..it would help me plan my trip according.

• Stuff to carry in flight, our own stuff
    • How much formula for flight, filtered water etc
    • crying, naps , how baby coped with on lap all the time
    • keeping her in lap all the time
    • How is flight experience with baby crying, sleep
    • stroller/car seat to india?
    • which airlines would be good for infants ( we fly from boston/NY to Delhi): bassinet, baby food, nanny service, etc.
    • Is it good to have direct flight, save time or layover and let baby relax

We plan to go there before summer gets harsh - like april/may but truth is we are not ready, my body is still traumatized by birth, no ready to take another jerk from travel, but we love our parents and they want to see her.

My condition is better in my place of course. But at my laws I have to do everything on my own plus additional problems.

Here I am kind of settled with all those baby chores and my chores. My place, my mother will help but it is going to be highly inconvenient at in-laws.

Taking care of baby, her fooding, health, and washing her stuff ( no washing machine), helping, bonding with in-laws and then also well dressed in Indian attire with everything on -bindi sindoor rings bangles... my in-laws are old fashioned...blah blah.
    Cleaning room,
    Then no putting under garments out to dry for others to see. Hide them perfectly..

Living here alone and then with baby care, I have forgot everything about myself now. Even for office I do not worry much about myself.

My husband becomes a total stranger to me there like I never knew him. I know he is not going to help me there.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Sanju Travelling with an infant on a long flight is very difficult. As parents we need lots of patience to ignore our sleep and rest and just handle the baby for those 30 hours. I have travelled once when my DD was 12 months and will do again in a week when my DS will be 12 months and DD 4yrs. Luckily the last time I went , my DD was a charm throughout the flight. Our flight from US was late in evening so she slept through the long journey. Like wise while coming back it was early in the morning so we started midnight and she lost her sleep but luckily slept full in flight. Since your baby will be less than a year they will give a bassinet if available. You can definitely put her in it and take few time off. You and your husband need to take turns in taking care of her. Check with your doctor for any medication you can give if she is very fussy.

I carried one full un opened box of powder formula and few premixed ones. They let every thing in my carry on. I had enough diapers and wipes too. I bought room temperature water bottles after I checked in the security. You also get warm water if requested in flight. In flight gives you various options on gerber food too. I kept Tylenol with me for emergency but never had to use it. Since your baby will be young you have to ask the doctor. Don't bother on what co passenger thinks. Handling a baby is tough and no one will understand unless they are in our shoes.

When you go to your Inlaws hire a help. You will have enough to handle the baby so you may not have time to take care of in laws needs.

All the said , I know you will have enough reasons to go against your doctors orders of 12/15 months but if possible do travel when your kid is 12 months old. My DD got sick on and off in india even though we used filtered water and used precaution. It was like I was constantly worrying about her than enjoying. chances are your baby will do just fine but you need to be prepared for everything. Check to see if they have good ped around area you visit.

All said I have friends who have travelled when baby was 3 months old and had initial hiccups and later were good. So just go with the flow. You seem to be already overwhelmed with lot of stuff so travel should be the last thing you want to do now. IMO

1 person likes this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It is actually easier with an infant compared with a 1-3 year old that has to move around and get bored. If you are used to using a baby sling that can be more convenient than a stroller. Take turns with your dh during the flights and the baby will also sleep in the bassinet. Buy ready mixed formula for the flights and then bottled water when there. There is quite a risk that the baby will catch a stomach bug. Use hand sanitizer and wash your hands regurarly. Baby wipes at least for the flight and also for the stay if possible.

4. sanjuruby3

Which airlines is more baby-friendly? I have not seen bassinets in all flights. I heard emirates is v. good but its too long for us.

How many diapers/wipes/formula you guys take in check-in for flight and after landing?
    I think 1- box for flight is enough.
    What about your own solid food?
    Bottle Cleaning in flight? We might have to take 2-3 flights.

Going to mall or shopping upsets our routine with baby, so I am sure babies do not take international travel that easy.

5. CrayoNess

It can be hard to clean the bottles in flight. If possible take so many bottles you need for the whole trip and then clean/boil them when at your parents/inlaws place. I assume all major airlines offer bassinets etc to babies but good to check before hand.

Babies at that age like to move around if they are used to it. Start now by carrying the baby with you (or in a stroller) to the park, mall etc.

6. sanjuruby3

Taking as many bottles per trip means 1 full bag of bottles. We have about 30 hours of journey before I could get access to kitchen. shakehead

I am really scared.

Does food/bottles/sterilization overhead reduces at 12 months...
    My and my DH are very scared to go now and confused. Only that apr/may weather is pleasant in up north.

7. sanjuruby3

And Its my guess baby is not given diaper-free time or left diaper free during the whole long journey.

So she will be strapped for whole 30 hours. ( Including time to recover from trip, when we reach home)

How to deal if she develop rashes? We can not wash her up with water in airport and place sinks.

Are plane bathrooms convenient for change? diaper changing stations etc. I have so many questions as I cared to notice these things before.

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I took my 2 month old last year to three cities with a short train journey too. Felt that was the best time as babies sleep a lot.

Six months may still be good time . Handling 1 or 1.5 year old baby is difficult because they would like to move.

Planes have changing tables , I suggest buy disposables changing sheets from babiesrus which you can spread on the changing table before you put the baby .

Take lot of formula , diapers in diaper bag and also some spare in carry on luggage.

try to have minimum hand luggage but everything for baby.

if you run out of formula or diapers, ask the air hostess , they would get you formula. They even have bottles I you forgot one. You can ask for warm water from them to mix formula. Do you use nursery water only, then you need to plan to take it , usually baby food related stuff is allowed on flight.

My baby is breast fed but I also used to give her pre mixed formula , so I carried those. I wanted some thing warm in the flight and I did not have spate bottles, so they gave me a bottle and formula milk , nicely mixed.

I am not sure how diaper free will work. Take diaper rash dream , it may help if you have an issue.

ask for a bassinet seat , it is good size crib and you place the baby in it when asleep. Book it ahead of time . I saw they get booked fast , some inconsiderate people take that seats for leg rooms even if they don't have babies.

You may not get your stroller back during transits and you may have to carry baby and all other stuff , so choose carefully what you want to carry, take the airport vehicles if you see them to go from gate to gate.

i don't see separate baby changing rooms in US airports but you do have them in inidan , Dubai airports . There you can ho in alone and use water to wash up baby if you feel to do so.

take all baby medication. Don't stress .

9. CrayoNess

You can also buy disposable bottle liners - one example: Disposable Baby Bottle Liners | Colic Reducing Baby Bottle

Some prefer to have a stroller, my daughter (who travelled a lot with her baby) again said that a baby sling (Baby sling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and a backpack is much more practical. A personal preference.

Not being diaper free should not be an issue. Have high quality diapers with you, apply cream if needed. You can also keep the baby for short periods without diaper in your lap. In many places there are baby rooms and you can also wash in normal sink if needed. Good quality baby wipes are also good to carry with you.

10. sanjuruby3

Thanks for all the experiences ..ladies.

Did you guys find any use of strollers in India? As I surfed different forums, people say stroller is overhead. Car and baby carrier is important

But I think here, in US, from home to airports and back and also at Indian airports, it will be easier with strollers. Car seat/carrier is difficult to hand carry.

Did you fly direct or layover? Which airlines did you fly?
    I have Dubai Stop-Over option with Emirates or direct Air India + 4 hrs car- travel from Boston to NY.