1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby not accepting solids....How to handle it.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Dec 15, 2014.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@chitravivek : thanks for your concern.
    I follow internet just like most of us and talk to everyone. So based on that, I came to know FF- based can start early on solids. I do not remember exactly where, but I think It was from some legitimate source, 5-6 as recommended for FF.

Then from real people, they all say 4.5 to 5 is good to start and of course start slowly.

3 days.., no... no more than a pinch and just AM/PM
    3 days x 2 = I had 6 feedings.

If she did not like oats, Ok lets see banana...did not like probably bananas smell, okay
    oats with formula next time.
    then okay may be avocado...

Remember everyone takes and thinks parenting differently ..and behave differently.

Mostly of us do not exactly as guided but no one means harm.

Yes, we do eat rice and when it comes to babies, we want to know other experiences and think 1000 times. We question on even small things and then we do something else and when our case turns out okay , we suggest others ..rice is okay,...bathing with this soap is okay..this oil is okay...

About nanny, since my girl does not take on and cries, I am worried to give so much tension to nanny and its easy to lose patience with kids.

You gave rice to your kids, it went okay,great..(i will also give of course). But based on that, our parents tried different foods on babies in same day...and we turned out okay. I have seen people giving meat that early and they turned out okay..

That does not mean we all will do that.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanju,
    Did you try store bought cereal ? My son did not like home made rice cereal but likes the earths best rice cereal mixed with milk, apple juice or pureed fruit/veggie. Most kids like apple, my son like apple sauce and eats any thing mixed with it. Just a note, I would introduce avacado, wheat, potato after they are used to solids as they can be heavy on their tummy.

Also try to give one ingredient at a time and see how it goes and their reaction.
    I started my son with banana mashed he liked it. But it he did not like mashed carrots (steamed) or home made rice cereal. So I used baby bullet to pure his cooked fruits and veggies and he likes it.
    Every baby is different u just have to experiment and try feeding as a play time not when hungry. When my son is hungry he would cry if i feed him solids, I think he associates milk a to satisfy his hunger. It took him almost one month to realize that solids also satisfy his hunger.

Hope this helps.

3. sanjuruby3

Thanks @viki123

Since I have just begun, I have not tried all other things But I do plan to. As my peds says ..its all trial and error.

So far I have given her just a bit. My purpose is to get her the taste of other things and i do not want her to be allergic of anything as most of american kids these days are I see around.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Sanju As a first time mom the best thing you can do is follow your pediatrician's advice. I am not sure if there is any pediatrician asking moms to introduce 4-5 different foods the first week of solid food introduction. Following things based out of internet alone is not a good idea. Internet can be misleading too.

Yes our parents gave us multiple items and we turned out okay. But they did not start giving us different food items right off the bat. They would also wait and watch. Only after certain number of months, we can start giving multiple items.

Yes meat can be given early. Any food item (within reasonable limits) can be started early as long as you stick to 1 new item in a day. The food schedule is followed not only for checking on allergies but for allowing the child to explore the new taste, for keeping a tab on the kid's pooping pattern etc.

Kids are not allergic to foods just because they are not introduced early. Allergies are on the rise due to our changing lifestyles, increased toxicity in our environment, vaccine side effects.

I gave my kids quinoa, hemp seeds, chia seeds all grains/seeds new to my family. I wanted them to have the experience. But I started all this around 9-10 months when I knew how they reacted to regular food items.

We are all moms who have been in your situation earlier. It is ok if you don't follow the points suggested by moms. These moms took time to actually reply to your concerns.

5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

To add to the points suggested by other posters, babies do take some time to adjust to the new texture and taste.
    My baby is 7.5 months old, and I started with ragi cereal in palm sugar in her 6th month. But, she cried and refused to take it for the first 3-4 days. Slowly started taking 1-2 small spoons and then increased quantities and variety over the last 2 months.

6. srinithivasan

srinithivasan Silver IL'ite

you try with ragi porridge. Its best for babies. I started giving ragi porridge when she was 5 and half month old.

7. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Oats or oatmeal is too much for 6 mo.. Infant's digestive system isn't fully developed to digest 'starch heavy' foods like Oatmeal.
    Best option to start solids is with cerelac.. preferably ceralac rice.. slowly introduce dal water, clear juices(not canned, but freshly made), soups etc.

8. sanjuruby3

Hi indoc,

I give her moong daal-water but I think I should made it more runny as she can not swallow it yet. Cerelac not available in US. Oats I mix in moong daal flours and she just consumes 1/2 tsp inside, rest she throws out. Such a mess...

Her ped said 'no to juices' for now for sugar content but 'big yes' to yogurt and water and few sips of real milk.

I will start ragi porridge too. I have brought millet, sorghum flours to grid and keep.

9. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

If your kid is above 7 months or so you can definitely try dal chawal or kichadi with some ghee in it. Cereals are crappy so they tend not to like it. Some babies love spice and ghee.