1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

High Chair, Walker ? Where and when to buy?and its importance?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Dec 6, 2014.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    My baby is 5 months old and I look back so many things we bought were actually not needed, we bought out of whim or people/online articles make it important.

Like bouncer chairs, remote operated musical mirrors I never needed them.
    Cloth diapers (Us style)- so expensive and I bought so many, never used.
    Onesies - tight before I worn them 2nd time or with tags.

Boppy pillow was money waste for me but I hate these things more because there are also space-wasters.
    Can not throw them.

Ofcourse somethings work for someone and not for others. So I though I ill ask if I really need these things- high chairs and walkers.

There are so many and so expensive in market.
    In high hairs - plain high chairs are 150$ and just booster seat are cheaper.
    Not sure which one to buy, for how long 150$ spent be used.
    Which one is good and economic and where to buy?

Walkers - not recommended in US. Did anyone buy this? how useful it is?

Activity tables - ??

In india, we were(long back when times were simpler) brought up with just 1-2 wooden toys and now I am surprised at the complexity of all those V-tech toys.
    All that light and sound ..

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

A good high chair is very good to have. The baby can start to use when he/she able to sit without support and can use the high chair til 2-3 years old. Some models turn into models that can be used when they are older. The baby enjoy sitting with the other at the dinner table and usually they start to eat themselves around 1-1,5 year old. It is a messy thing when they start to eat so get a model that can be easily cleaned.

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I would not recommend a walker. It was quite a waste.

A high chair on the other hand is brilliant. My daughter is 3 and is a bit big for her high hair but yet loves eating her meals there. A booster seat is a great alternative though. You could get a booster with a detachable tray to begin with; once your child is older, you can do away with the tray and have your child directly at the table on the booster seat. My high chair had lots of features - 3 reclining positions, height adjustable, foldable etc. however I've rarely used these features; even when I did it was only for entertainment rather than for any actual purpose. as long as your dining chairs won't get damaged by the booster seat, it is a great choice.

About the the sound and light toys they are just made to annoy the adults I feel! Studies have show a that The simple ones like blocks and tower rings are much better than laptops and other jing bang gadgets

4. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

Even i thought highchair would be waste of cost. but i got one for my son's bday party hoping to return it after one day celebration but i understood the real usage of it. Trust me we cannot feed them without tying them up in the chair. we had booster chair as well but it was not comfortable for him. what we had was fisher price booster chair which doesn't have comfortable cushions in it. My son loved the high chair we got. it was comfortable with three position of seating. he will also sit with us for dinner and lunch. I will put dosa pieces or any pick up food pieces int hat tray or keep his book and we will have dinner/lunch. he will also see us having food and he will take from tray and have it on his own. Also when i do some kitchen work and he doesnt want to play alone then i will put him in that chair and keep book or put some cherrios. i will talk with him and do my work. ofcourse there are days where he wil shout on top of his voice to not sit him there but he knows that i have some work or we wil have food.. i m using it very badly for past 2 months. i think i can use it for another 2 yrs as my son is 14 months old. i didnt get any higher end version.. i got the one below. There are one's which u can convert to booster seat but my req was satisfied with the below one. try it.. its not waste of money..

i got Baby Trend Sit-Right High Chair, Bobbleheads - Walmart.com

5. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

w.r.t walker i got push cart like walker.
    VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker - Walmart.com

they say that it doesnt aid in walking . But my son started using it when he was 10 month old and started walking with in a month. he liked it so much. for his first bday he walked very well. i bought normal walker but he didnt like it . i asked my ped he said as long as he dont strain too much to walk or we dont force him to walk he was fine with push cart like walker but he was totally no no to the closed walker(i think u know wat i mean). I like that product. cost effective. anyways i got a used one. only thing that annoys me is the sound frm that walker. he will swtich it on but he doesnt know how to stop it. so that walker keeps on singing until i go and swtich it off. sometimes i will sing those rhymes when i take bath w/o my knowledge. gigglingsmiley.. but dont make ur kid to use the walker until he is ready. crawling aids to strengthen the spine of the baby. i didnt care abt walking till 9 months. he was happliy crawling for 3 months. I know toughest thing is decision making while parenting... Happy parenting...

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

You don't have to go for expensive high chairs. When my nephew was a baby, my sister had a seat that could be attached to ANY table. So even when they went out, she would just slip it into a bag and take it with her. I have seen similar ones in the US too. When my DS was born, I had my sister send one for me when my PIL arrived. Very very very convenient. When he got too big for it, got a simple high chair from Graco. This is the best way to train them early on to sit in one place instead of having to run around the place feeding them

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

High chair/booster seat is a must. I got a booster seat and attached it to one of the dining table chairs. We started using it when DD was 8 months old. Super useful.

The booster seat I have has 3 reclining positions with 3 positions for food tray. Easy to clean too.

Baby who is destined to be an early walker will walk early without walker itself. With my DD we received walker as a gift when she had already started walking. So she just played with sound/music.

With my DS he started walking independently without using walker. Now that he is running, he pushes the walker fast and topples when the walker hits something. This is the most dangerous part. This is when babies get hurt.

Activity table - Any new toy is fascinating at this stage. Just keep it at his standing level and he will start exploring it. So if you have lots of other toys do not invest in activity table.

9. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

High chairs are the best option.
    Since your baby is 5 months, this is the right time to go for a high chair.From 7 months you can make him sit in high chair and let him have food (small pieces of soft fruits)along with you. you can buy them in walmart ,target or any other stores.Check it well,whether your baby is comfortable in that before buying one.

Blocks,soft balls,stacking rings or cups,musical ride on (if u can bare the noise)are good for them.Bought these for my DD when she was 16 months,She is 3 now and still plays with all of these,Even though we bought her a leapfrog laptop,disney princess dolls and all those expensive ones.
    Mostly she pretends cooking with my cookware and utensils. :goodidea:

10. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks girls..For lot of your valuable inputs. I am thinking to look in different stores Christmas holidays as I would have some time. Do you guys know if they have any sales on these kind of stuff. Babies RU have 20%off coupon they send out but things do not come in mind that time and it gets wasted.

All these stuff is expensive.