1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crawling with bum

Discussion in 'Infants' started by shari2003, Nov 17, 2014.

1. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

My LO is 6.5 months old now. She rolls over her tummy and back, but does not crawl. Instead she lies on her back and pushes herself using her feet. She does spend time on her tummy, but, does not crawl. Once or twice she had crawled backwards, but, she doesnt do that anymore. I have tried to get her crawl by placing her favorite toys nearby to encourage her, but, she goes back on her back and then pushes herself up using her feet to get the toy.

has anyone experienced this???

2. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

While it may be perfectly fine/just that some kids prefer one way over the other, I just want to share my experience so you can take the correct call.

My daughter had a different problem, when she was supposed to be walking, she was not walking, instead crawling. Initially she tried to stand up with both legs but then after few days, she just fold one of her knee and tried to reach for things in that pose. Then luckily we discovered she was very highly deficient on her Vit.D levels, once we corrected that, she met all her milestones properly. We felt very guilty for not finding it out early on when we read all the symptoms and issues behind this deficiency. Main one is body pain/joint pains, we figured out later that was her constant nagging/crying.

So whoever has some complaints on their kids delay on milestones, I immediately ask them to get sufficient sunlight to the baby and if thats not a possible option, at least make sure Vit.D levels are normal. We did VitD3 25 hydroxy test - was painful to get the blood from a 9 month old baby then, but we are glad at least we detected it before other major complications set-in.

All the best and take care...

1 person likes this.
  3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I know a friends baby at 8 months, she was crawling same way as shari's baby but on tummy. She would lie on tummy and keep her both hands together, one over another on floor and would give a push with her both legs to move forward (like swimming pose) Not traditional crawl which is similar to walk ,one knee forward and then other.

May be thats normal. But thats good thing to note that "msm" told - keep check on vitamin D levels.

4. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Thanks msm and sanjuruby for your responses.
    We keep her in mild sunlight around 2 hours everyday and so, I wonder if vitD deficiency could be the problem. I shall meet her paed and discuss this certainly.

Yes, there are different ways in which they crawl, but, I have never seen this, and so posted the query.

Thnks for your responses.

5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

To be honest to imagine your lil one is very very cute :) i think she is just being creative :) it reminded me somehow on one baby in an nappy advertisement who moves forward by bouncing on its bum, too sweet. As long as she has no vitamin deficiancy everything is perfectly fine i guess.

Edit: forgort to mention i know one baby who moved forward by rolling over to the side - from back to tummy and round to back again - that way he sort of rolled his way through the room :D

6. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Oh.. yes! RedRuby its very cute to watch her cruise around! Only that we have to be very watchful because we are not able to predict the direction in which her next jump/ bounce would be.. And, the back side of her head might soon turn bald :-( due to constant friction...

7. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

You are doing the right thing. Keep on putting her in her tummy and challenge her to crawl that way. Persistence will win and she will realize that it is easier to do it this way.

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

This Vit D part is very interesting. In prior generations here (historical generations perhaps) babies were, if the weather was mild, put in baby carriages or other baby furniture and placed outside under a tree (so they wouldn't burn) for their naps. Even for myself there is an old picture of me napping with the family collie on guard. My mom said it was for fresh air but perhaps it also helped with the Vit D.