1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom starting solids to 5 month old.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by viki123, Oct 31, 2014.

1. mariegold

mariegold Junior IL'ite

Viki,

Firstly congratulations and I am sure you are loving each moment with the baby. I have a 8th Month old daughter
    and she started at daycare at 5 months too.

1) earth best organic cereal is good and certified so you dont have to worry about offering it to the
    baby. If time permits you can also make food ast home it will give you chance to add some lentils and
    veggies. Here is what we did

a) When you start solids for the first time babies are not sure how to swallow it becuase
    they are used of taking just BM/formula. So we first time mixed one small spoon of ready made
    rice cereal in BM and offered it to the baby, it took her about a week to get used to feeding with spoon

b) Once she started doing better we used about on ounce of milk and mixed rice cereal with it, her portion size slowly increased to 2 ounces rice cereal over month or so

c) I made home made fruit purees like apple, pear, banana, carrot

d) Once she was doing good with rice cereal, I started making home made rice cereal for her.

Procedure: I cleaned 1 cup of organic rice, washed it and left it for drying, cleaned half cup of moong dal and left it for drying too.I grinded the miztures seperately and put poowder mixture in air tight container.
    Every morning I take about tablespoon of cereal add veggies like spinach, caroot, tomato, beetroot, kale and cook it. Once it cools down I just grind it one pulse and pack it for babies day care.
    As rice is cleaned it should not take more than 15 minutes to cook and pack.

e) We do the same thing with fruits steam the fruits and make puree

2) I have kept aside to Medela BM bottles and pack the solids in that bottles. Packing the solids in the bottle helps the daycare provider to heat the food without spilling as they use bottle warmer.

3) If your baby is not sitting up right yet, you can place him on your lap hold him with one hand and offer the food. If he is sitting upright than high chair is good option.

4) Other tips would be try to speak to daycare provider and have schedule for baby. Request the daycare provider to always follow the schedule like nap time, feeding time etc.

I hope information helps.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks LuvLadoo35,
    Initially i was thinking of high chair, bur now a days he is bending and looking down and trying to jump. He is doing it in this bouncer and in bath tub. I am afraid that he might fall. So for now I bought booster seat with toys and planning on taking High Chair once he is 9 months or so, when he on 3 times complete meals.

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

mariegold,
    Thanks for you suggestions this is really helpful to me.
    How is your daughter doing at day care ? It took almost 3 weeks for my son to get adjusted. He was down with cold and ear infection just after one week and was on antibiotics.
    I was feeling sad for him, now he enjoying and playing with other kids and his teachers.

4. mariegold

mariegold Junior IL'ite

Viki,

Sorry to hear that son was down with cold and ear infection, My daughter got sick in first three days of joining day care because it was the first time it did take some time for her to recover. As parents we were doubting our decision for sending her to group day care but things got better as time passed.

My daughter now loves her daycare and teachers, she on schedule now and teachers at daycare are very caring.

My daughters pediatrician is very supportive, she did mention that kids who go the
    group day care catch cold on average every 3 weeks. It was hard to accept at first
    but what I observed that now though she catches cold she is not so fussy as before and recovers faster than first time.

There immunity systems are building up hence dont worry too much , it is expected in the first year.

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

OP: Normally booster seat is preferred at later stages of baby life and high chair is pretty safe during early stage. It comes with a belt and table so there is no way your kid will jump or fall. Since you already got a booster seat and if your son is fine with it, then stick with it and IMO you should not buy high chair at all as he will be completely fine with booster till he is old enough to sit separately in dining chair ( which with my DD happened at 18 months) She wanted to sit like us and avoided her booster or high chair.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Mariegold,
    After knowing about your daughter, i am at ease that my son would be better too. Out Ped also said the same thing about cold. I am mostly worried about ear infections which come along with cold.
    His first cold was too bad, he was just clinging to me for 2 days, and i have no sleep or proper food during that time and fell sick after that. Now he seem to be back in form happy and playing.

7. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Chiravivek. I hope my son does the same. I less time at home ;-). Already my home is filled with his stuff and really scattered.

8. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

I have started solids for my son and it all happened in an opposite way to what I have planned. He got used to it quickly and is now on solids two times as day.

I started him with banana in the evening. He seemed to like it and we continue it for 4 days. On the fourth day my husband gave him banana in the morning (completely unplanned) and that day evening we gave him rice cereal for dinner. He completed full serving, first I gave him 2 TBS and he seemed hungry rejected milk but had another 2TBS of rice cereal. By the time we introduced to rice cereal it was weekend so I started giving him the morning around 9:00am.
    After four days for rice cereal I gave him apple sauce (homemade) and he liked it.
    For now he is on solids 2 times a day. Morning at 7:30am 2oz fruit (currently apple) mixed with 2 TBS of rice cereal and for dinner at 7:30pm 4TBS of rice cereal.
    I am panning on continuing this till our next ped appointment and introduce lunch time solids based on his suggestions.
    For now I have introduced:
    1. Banana
    2. Apple
    3. Rice Cereal
    Next I am planning on:
    1. Carrot
    2. Oat meal
    3. Pears
    4. Sweet potato
    He is used to solids so fast that he is rejecting milk but eating solids. He is actually looking at me & saying “aaa” to feed him
    My ped advised the following to introduce cereal:
    Day 1: 1 TBS of cereal with 2oz of milk
    Day 2: 2 TBS of cereal with 2oz of milk
    Day 3: 3 TBS of cereal with 2oz of milk
    Day 4: 4 TBS of cereal with 2oz of milk
    Since I started with Banana, I gave with 2 TBS of cereal with 2 oz milk and he was drinking it as milk and splashing it. Then I added another 1 TBS of cereal and he was comfortable with it.
    Now I am giving 4 TBS of cereal with 5TBS of milk.

sanjuruby3, let me know how is it going with your daughter.