1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop breast feeding

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Me1, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

My LO is 10 months old. I am a working mother so for whole day long he feeds on cows milk but at night when he wants to sleep he wants to be breast feeded.

He has got 2 tooth and sometimes bite me and also some people suggested me to avoid breast feeding him now as he is big enough. He will develop a habit of it and will ask for it publicly soon which will not look good.

Till what age should baby be breast feed so that he do not get it as a habit. And how to train him?

Please suggest.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

2. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

now he s 10 mnths ly u can feed him, even for 3yrs also some mom feed.
    if u would like to stop ...then u can try neem oil. apply neemoil on the breast with the smell of the oil he ll not cum near u n ll not ask for it. gradually he ll forgot abt breast feedg
    (to stop breast feeding is a big challenge)

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Usually doctors advice at least 6-9 months.If he is only asking at sleep times...you can continue for a few more months.
    When you want to stop...you can give him heavier dinner or bottle milk just before sleep time. You can offer the breast ...but put some thing bitter on it.Like bitter gourd juice. Slowly he will realize it is no longer fun.May throw a tantrum too. I breast fed till my older one was 16 months old. Had to stop when I conceived my second one. I used bitter gourd juice. My daughter used to go fetch a towel and try to wipe it off and latch on again...but soon stopped.

1 person likes this.
  4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Try pacifier or pacifier that can be put into freezer so it is cold. This will calm his itches as he is teething. Can your husband help him sleep and you move away in another room? This way he will not see you and not call for you. Make sure he is full before going to sleep.

Give him your milk as long as you can. Maybe use a pump.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

Lollzz :rotfl

Is it necessary be cold? I am concerned as winters are approaching.Also, have heard pacifiers bend the teeth.

6. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

dear ,
    only 10 months old . let him have it. I fed my child till 2

I gave no other milk to drink - powder, or cows milk, till he was 2,but instead gave cow milk along with cerelac, also gave it like rusk soaked in mik.

Once starts eating solid foods- what you make at home- idli/ dosa/ chappati/ rice, his stomach will feel full, and he himself will come out of this.

and then at the age of 2 I applied ' srikand ' to the nipples, it has a mix smell of milk and curd- which he felt like vomiting, so he never asked for it. some times he asked , I applied 'srikand' and gave, he came near, and made faces, and went...

cried a bit, but not much..

try putting bitter gourd juice or neem leaf paste, something which is bitter., or something that ur child dislikes. (mine it was smell coming from srikand)

for the time being , please feed the child

take care,
    resmij

7. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I feed my kid till 1.5 years but my sil feed till 2.5 years so it depends on you also when you want to stop.

At night your kid needs you to feed so at that time try to give the alternative milk in small amount and immediately fall him asleep. Do this atleast a week and see how your kid forgets the breast feed. I did this so giving you the same suggestion.

Regards,

Prachi

1 person likes this.
  8. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

Any idea how much gap should be maintained in cow's milk and then giving bf?

9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Cold ones will help stop the itch due to teething. It has a soothing effect. A lot of my friends have used pacifiers for their children and no issues with the teeth. Anyway the baby teeth fall off. Maybe prolonged use may be until ages 3-4 may have some effect.

10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

The world health organisation recommends that children be breastfed until they are two.

It is important to not let the child sleep while feeding since any left over milk in the mouth causes rapid tooth decay. So since your child already has teeth, the best routine to follow is feed, brush his teeth and then put him in bed. If he refuses to stay there, just get someone else to put him in bed - other people won't have the goods! You just have to be firm and stay away while he throws a tantrum. Within a week, he will understand his new routine if your stay consistent.

About biting, well, when my DD got her teeth, (was about 5 mo) I felt like a fool following this techique but it certainly worked - as soon as she bites, I would rapidly unlatch her, put her away on the floor at arms length while saying "we don't do that. It hurts." No eye contact or anything for about half a min or so. Since your child is older, perhaps you need to walk away. She tested it a few more times but I was consistent. If my memory serves me right she stopped biting in less than a week. I continued to bf her till my supply tapered off around the time she was 1.5 years old.

Btw, it is important to not feel conscious about feeding your child. Remember you are the one making the decision and breast milk is one of the most nutritious foods you can give your child. How long you bf should only be your decision and ther is no need to worry about whether it will look good in public or not.