1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Iugr baby weights 2.5 kg. what to giv to increase weight

Discussion in 'Infants' started by akilakarthi, Oct 15, 2014.

1. akilakarthi

akilakarthi Junior IL'ite

My daughter is an iugr baby born on full term weights 2.5 kg. I breast feed her every 2 hours or 1 hour. At first week she reduced to 2.25 kg. Now she is 2 weeks old still luks same. wht to do to increase her weight.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

what is 'iugr' ? pardon my ignorance here.
    did you talk to ped? My baby was also very tiny and within first few days, she dropped lot more weight as she was not latching and we were missing feeds of formula..( stupid us).

Goal is to reach birth weight (weight she was born with in first 10-15 days).
    Feed her frequently and talk to doc.
    Check if she is getting enough from you as it takes time in the beginning to establish. Use alternatives if doc suggests and you are comfortable.

3. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi...iugr is intruterine growth restriction. Tbe fetus does not grow in the womb in the last few weeks or for some people the growth is slow in the beginning itself. Even I had a iugr baby weighing 2 kg. Was difficult in the initial few weeks since he was so tiny and was very scared to handle him. All you can do to increase the weight is feed her every two hours. The doc must also have given drops fpr weight gain. If yes then give them regularly. Btw what was the reason for iugr in your case.

4. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Akila,
    Newborn babies lose weight and come back to original birth weight in 15 days I.e., 2 weeks. Then only they start gaining. Kepp feeding the baby every 2 to 3 hours and on demand. You will see the increase in weight from now on. You dont need to worry about IUGR now. She is a normal baby like any other full term.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You can't make out subtle growth changes of your baby - it is literally 10s of ym's. If you are concerned, get her weighed on reliable scales at your paed's office. Just keep up with feeding her on demand and ensure you snuggle and soothe her as much as you can - when a baby is calm and relaxed he/ she grows quickly; stress hormones hamper growth. Focus on the baby, have a calm atmosphere without loud noises and harsh light. Your baby will be fine without you having to do anything extra.. Have fun with your little one!

1 person likes this.
  6. akilakarthi

@apirl1981 at last month of pregnancy scan they said AC Diameter is below 5th percentile. And baby has iugr. I dont have any health issue during pregnancy except excessive nausea and vomiting throughout pregnancy. Even doc said she can't predict the reason for baby being iugr

7. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

IUGR is intrauterine growth retardation. Most of the time it is difficult to find out the reason for it.
    New born babies usually lose upto 10% of their birth weight during the first week but start gaining weight there after - 30gms / day. since it is so little you may not notice it.
    The best way to increase her weight is breastfeeding her regularly and frequently. Even during night time feed her every 2-3 hours. You eat well, relax, take plenty of water, milk, fruit juices.
    Lactare is helpful in increasing breast milk secretion and is safe.
    Don't start feeding with bottle or formula feeds unless it is indicated by your pediatrician.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Akila, when my DD was born at 2.45 kgs, I was asked to feed her every 2 hours and/or on demand. She will gain weight soon enough. Dont worry.

9. akilakarthi

My dd was given vitamin drops by doc. Is thr any other drops for improving weihht?

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

no and you shouldn't be giving her ANYTHING other than milk at this age.