1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Sleep suggestions

Discussion in 'Infants' started by nvembu, Oct 14, 2014.

1. nvembu

nvembu New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I have a 3 week old who struggles to sleep.. after morning wakeup he simply refuses to go back to sleep, unless i bathe and feed LO to sleep.. I have tried using pacifier but he just keeps sucking on it and starts fussing when it pops out of his mouth.[​IMG]. Its kinda of struggle everytime to put him to sleep.. We do not have the traditional Jhula/thooli provision here, so we have to rock him to sleep and starts fussing if put down. cosleeping is not helping either.. have tried the swing, he doesnt favor it :p I will be returning to work in 3 months, so i want to set a sleep pattern and cannot help him get used to being rocked or swung to sleep.. Have tried white noise and swaddling, but it is not helping much.. any suggestions on how to help him sleep better? Also do you think if we purchase Jhula/thooli now, will he be able to transition to crib in few months for daycare? Please suggest..

Worried Mom..

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I think its normal. Though doctors here suggest but 3 weeks is too small to find or set a pattern.
    He might be going through growth spurt. It will come and go.
    I had so many such days with my baby where she wont sleep at all or just for 1 min and keep on crying.
    Whole night we were up and DH will put her in car seat and rock like indian cradle.
    Putting car seat down and again she is up.
    There are similar bouncers available in stores as my DH had planned to buy but for space reasons we didnot.
    First 3 months are extremely difficult.. :-((. I have just returned to work and my baby can not sleep in dark as we used to rock her to sleep in main hall and then put her to bed.

I assume he is not on pacifier all the time. Also check if he is not gassy. In that case, use 'heeng'

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Too bad babies don't come with a sleep button; eh!

Check if the child has a silent reflux problem. When you are such a new mum, relax with the baby without stressing about patterns. A pattern will emerge. Have a darkened room and soothe your baby as much as you can.

And the problem with pacifiers is that you have to give it back when it falls out. Be thankful he accepted the pacifier. he will slowly learn to self soothe. Give him plenty of time to adjust. If a bath and a feed lulls him to sleep, do that.

One technique you can use is pop a cushion over yourself and lay your child on the cusion(swaddle to minimise Moro reflex even if he gets out of it in a few min) when he sleeps move the cushion to the cot.

perhaps he wants to sleep on his tummy. As it is very dangerous to lay the child on his tummy in the cot, one way to get him to sleep is to pop him over yourself as you are reclining. My daughter barely slept for a long time and once she learnt to flip over she'd sleep much better on days she had flipped over. She is over three and still mostly sleeps on her tummy.

Start having a routine for each nap time. He will eventually learn. enjoy your baby.

4. nvembu

nvembu New IL'ite

Thank you sanjuruby3.. yes.. might be growth spurt.. but one day after other? he is on paci when we put him to sleep.. will that cause issues? he just wants to sleep on my lap and will not settledown elsewhere.. we have a bouncer and a swing but he doesnt prefer it either..

5. nvembu

nvembu New IL'ite

True guesshoo.. and who ever invented the term "sleep like a baby".. huh!..

he does seem a bit gassy and doesnt burp after every feeding.. i try holding him upright for min 15 mins, but still doesnt help.. gas drops help a bit.. tummy time doesnt work always :(

can we lay baby on a pillow?

6. Me1

Me1 Silver IL'ite

These are the side effects of becoming a mumma.
    My kid too had the same pattern. He is around 9 months now and still he sleeps not more than 15-20 mins. Luckily he sleeps with me at night. I guess he has a strong nose. As soon as I get away he gets up and wont sleep in any one's lap.

Wish the time passes soon.
    Good Luck!

7. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

hi new mother,

it is a new born - a baby- don't expect it to sleep, the way u sleep.

check this link: Babies & Sleep | BabyCenter

putting him on pacifier!!!! very bad.

and take care of the baby.

feed it often.

regards
    resmij

8. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi op,

3 week old babies are like that.
    and since u just delivered ur hormones will be driving u crazy and no sleep at night to make thing worse.
    it wont be long that soon your baby will give you more sleep.
    hang in dr.
    if he sleeps on ur lap n d moment u transfer him to his bed he wakes up?
    try keeping a quilt or bed sheetk, once he dozes off..wrap him warm in the quilt and transfer him to crib with the quilt.new borns love moms warmth and once they feel diff in temps they will wake up.slowly a pattern will start, dont worry.
    all the best.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi op,
    any changes in the sleep?
    its been 15 days since u posted.

10. nvembu

nvembu New IL'ite

Hi Gae3,

No improvements yet, so trying to accept this is how LO is.. LO is almost 7 weeks and we have no pattern emerging yet.. Somedays are better than others, but the last two days and nights have been really tough.. LO has been waking every 2hrs for feeding at night and I am not sure if it is a growth spurt because baby's pattern is all over the place and am not able to identify any cues yet.. Am planning to buy a thooli/Jhula/hammock to see if it helps.. Do you know if transition to crib will be tougher if we start using a baby Jhula?

Also am planning to supplement with formula to check if it helps baby sleep at night as am doubting my BM supply, because LO is up every 2 hrs(used to do 3 hr streches at night)..

Thanks for following up :)