1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Undescended testicle in baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by shrutimanjunath, Sep 19, 2014.

1. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

My six month old son has undescended testicle.

I have checked with a urologist in USA and he said to wait till 6 months.

Now son is already 6 months old and we are going to india. We will return only after few months if all is fine. Until then my doctor has asked me to get this checked from a urologist in India.

Any of your babies faced this ? How long to wait to get this descended. Is it a major issue.

2. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

Is it there any pain for ur son in urine .. is the shape and size makes difficult ...

3. shrutimanjunath

I think no pain. But one scrotum is empty

4. aabcii

aabcii Gold IL'ite

ohh .. then seems to consult the doc too .. kindly update the result too

5. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Testicles are developed inside the abdomen when the child is in mother's uterus. Before delivery that is around 32 to 36 weeks they will descend down to scrotum.Sometimes they will come down during the first few months after birth. If not so a small surgery is done to bring them down. Ideally it should be done between 9 to 15 months.

Nature has kept testicles inside the scrotum because the temperature is low there compared to abdomen. If they continue to be inside the abdomen, fertility will be affected in adult life. Another problem faced during adult life will be tumour of the testicles.

So it is strongly advisable to go for surgery to bring down the testicles. A good pediatric surgeon or a Urologist will do it. The child will be discharged on the same day or in a day or 2. I don't know which part of India you belong to? If you belong to Chennai then Dr. Sripathy, a pediatric urologist is the best one.

6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

It happens in some cases, generally surgery is done.

Just consult a good doctor, and do the needful. Don't worry, your baby will be ok.

If it is treated correctly, then he will not face any fertility issues in problem, and will have a good life.

7. shrutimanjunath

His one testicle is completely fine. One has descended but hasn't gone into scrotum yet. So I m sure with one testicle his fertility would be not effected. Just that the other one should be in scrotum.

8. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Hi Shruti, my son also has an undescended testy and is scheduled for out patient surgery in November after he turns 6 months. I consulted pediatric urologist and my son had an ultrasound and it is little further so no chances of it getting down by itself. I was also worried about it and I am still nervous but everywhere I read it said to treat it earlier while they are little so have no memory of hospital. The nurse told me that he will be under anesthesia and will be on pain medicine for a day, and generally kids their age do good. He will stay home for just 4-5 days and will be able to go to daycare after that. If untreated it can lead to testicular cancer in their adult life. I am also very nervous for my baby being operated but keeping it cool and playing tough for his better health.

Right now I am writing based on whatever his pediatrician and urologist recommended. I can provide actual information based on my experience only after he is done with the surgery. Good luck with everything and have a safe trip to India.

1 person likes this.