1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two children under 2 years of age

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Minkis, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Hi, no I couldn't get an appointment with my preferred doctor, got one for next week, will update what she said as soon as I visit her.

minkis

2. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Thanks, I think initially when we found out, we thought that's impossible and were not prepared. Its still slowly sinking in. We keep procrastinating about our day to day duties, how will be put two kids to sleep, bathe them and take them to restaurants, travel with them etc... I guess its difficult for us to see 2 kids fit into our lifestyle and we have gotten very comfortable with one and have finally established a set routine which is working great!!

Minkis

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Me and my brother are just 1.5 yrs apart from each other. But we had our grand mother stayed with us permanently. Most of the time I was with her only, so it wasnt that much of a difficulty for my mom to handle.

Sure, you will have a touch time. Specially with both pregnancy and toddler. But it is all just for a couple of years, later it is much more easier to handle both of them.

Find a help if you could. If possible take a break from career, and stay at home. Find some day care for the elder one before the little one is born. So that you could spend some useful time with the newborn.

Prepare your H as much as you can to handle to elder one, such as bathing, putting to sleep etc..etc.. but change duties, as he may deprived of his mom's love in a long run.

Stay positive, God will show a way

4. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Congratulations.As all suggested it will hectic for the first 3 years.But then you will enjoy with them after that.

My brother had 2 kids with just 1.5 years gap,but they had my aunty help.Still I think you will get used to it and will have another set of schedule in place in no time at all.

5. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I thought I would post an update. Well, two days before my doctors appointment I got my periods. I did meet with the doctor she confirmed that I am no longer pregnant. She said that since it was just 9 months since I had my first baby and I was breastfeeding, my body may not be producing enough hormones to support another pregnancy.

It is pretty normal for this to happen and had no effect on future pregnancies ... i.e. it doesn't mean that I will have difficulty having a baby later on.

My husband and I are both very much relieved but also a little sad too about what might have been. Would like to thank everyone for there support.

Minki

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry for the miscarriage, OP. Physically, your body knows what it can and cannot handle. I would suggest you get enough of rest and eat proper food and get some multivitamins. Your body has just gone through a pregnancy loss, plus you are still breast feeding. You need some rest and care. Take care of yourself. Don't take this as a normal period. Relax and find time for yourself.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Minki Thank you for sharing your update with us. I guess it is all for the best!

8. Gnanaprasannag5

Gnanaprasannag5 New IL'ite

Hi Minkis

I am 39 now and bit confused to go for second or not, at this age and health after having a baby if so. I have a Son of 4 years old.

any suggestions please.

Thanks
    Prasu

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

hi OP

Everything will be okay.. You and your H will survive and your elder one will have a sibling.
    One of my relatives in India had kids just 11 months apart and she survived. It will be very difficult in first few years but once they grow up, it will be easy and fun. At toddler age, they will be busy with each other than seeking your attention.At teenage, they will be friends.

IMO, If planning to have more than 1 and situation allows, good have within 2 yrs.

Without parents help, it is difficult so try to arrange that. About household work, try to hire a help.

Indian nanny option is also available that will take care of your elder one and minor household work.

Are you working? If not, it should be little easier I think.

10. Minkis

Minkis Junior IL'ite

Hello Prasu,

I guess its a very personal decision. If you are healthy and can afford it, go ahead, its definitely not too late and your son can be of help too at this age. You might be occupied for another 1-2 years but then it will be back to normal. Has your son hinted about having a bro/sis? or is he happy as an only child? Do you think he will be able to help out and take on more responsibility or is he dependent on you?

Do you work...will it fit into your work schedule? Do you have the space for 2 children, at home and in the car? Will you be able to cook/look after and put 2 kids to bed at the same time? Is your husband on board, is he ready to help out with day to day stuff? Can you afford child care for both...babysitter, nanny, school etc etc? Can you afford/manage travel/vacations/trips with 2 kids in the long term?

Think through it carefully, all the pros and cons. I even read a few books about single child, only child and only children and we think we have made the right choice.

Minkis