1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

1 month old needs to be held upright all the time !

Discussion in 'Infants' started by diyasdale, Sep 2, 2014.

1. diyasdale

diyasdale New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

My LO just crossed 1 month and he seems very very fussy. He is a lot gassy, and also would keep quit only when someone holds him up all the time. The moment we put him to lay down on his back, he would start screaming. Nothing seems to pacify him when he is left down. He also cried when he is left on the swing. Has anyone faced the same issue ? Any suggestions would help. :( I have tried gripe water, he keeps calm for sometime after that again he starts crying. It is like he is crying all the time. Holding him upright is not a problem but his spinal cord seems bent in a very uncomfortable position (he does not cry though) that I want to put him back asap so that he may feel less uncomfortable . But then he starts crying. The other way that would sooth him is putting him to my breasts. I need to do this even after he has had a full feeding. I am scared if I would be overfeeding him. Also, most of the time he is just sucking and not actually drinking breastmilk.

Any suggestions ? When would this go away ? :(

2. Ashat

Ashat New IL'ite

It might be acid reflux or colic.

3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Would suggest getting a baby carrier or sling. Seems like your dear baby needs some extra comforting. It should get better at 3 months. After feeding hold upright for 30 min, pat his back. Keep giving gripe water, it will help. Don't worry about over feeding, its fine if he sucks extra.

While feeding, choose a quite place, feed in same location every day, keep noise to a minimum, no TV, taking etc..

Cooks

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sounds like reflux. Both my kids had it. For the older one, I thought it was colic as suggested by her ped. All the gas drops and gripe water in the world didn't help. She was miserable and slept mostly in her car seat in the upright position. We all thought she was a baby needing to be held all the time! She outgrew it at 11 months when traditionally colic goes off at 4-5 months.
    With my son, he was in the NICU. He was the same. The docs started him on a reflux medicine and he was like a new baby. He just stopped fussing. The problem with silent reflux is that the babies don't spit up, so you don't realise they have reflux. The reflux is painful and they cry. Keeping them upright is the only way the milk doesn't regurgitate.

Based on my experience I would suggest you take your baby to the ped and get him checked out. The ped can determine if it is reflux and give something for it.

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Also,

Do not leave him alone for longer periods, look into his eyes...talk to him in calm voice, if you are agitated he will sense that. Try to keep a regular routine....try to catch his cues early...feed before he is hungry and put to sleep before he his sleepy.

This may just be a phase for a few weeks...he may just want you to be close...holding him. Once he develops a trust that you will be there when he needs you...he may relax more.

If it still doesn't get better in another 2 weeks, I would visit doctor, as the other poster mentioned it maybe reflux or colic...which needs professional help.

Regards,
    Cooks.

Cooks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I would suggest to check your baby's diet - any formula that is not agreeing with his stomach???

Any food that you eat that is not agreeing with baby?

Exactly the same thing used to happen when my baby was 1 month old - everyday it would start around 4 pm and go on till midnight!

- I stopped the formula
    (since he was a low sugar baby the doctors started him on formula immediately),
    - increased my breast milk through methi and satavarex,
    - stopped garlic completely and
    - absolutely no potatoes and he was a laughing baby :)

In the meantime -
    saying/singing sshshshshsh helps the baby calm down
    go on a drive holding him upright
    rub down his back from his shoulder blades to the lower back to relieve the gas - no upward strokes, only downward strokes
    sing songs and walk around holding him close so that your body softly presses his stomach

7. diyasdale

diyasdale New IL'ite

Thank you all for the suggestions. 80 percent ofbthe time he ia on formula..yeaterday suddenly he was screaming...and struggling to pass gas...I tried gripe water ..didnt work...there was blno change in formula since he is on the same formula from the beginning...today i am planning to see the doc...cant bear tears in his eyes....

8. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I had the same problem with my son, he is 4 months now. It is due to acid reflux, make sure he burps and put him in upright position for at least 15-20 min. If he not feeding, pump your milk and feed that, try to reduce formula and stop garlic.

For my son he liked full flow milk while feeding and would never suck
    if milk flow is less. So i started pumping and feeding him. My doctor prescribed me randatine. He is much better now.