1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

do all infants fall sick on first trip to India?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cooks2010, Aug 27, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello, I will be taking my 11 month old to India. I always hear these stories from friends that there baby fell sick in India and had to be taken to doctor.

Does this inevitably happen, can anyone share a story where there baby didn't fall sick and see doctor in India.

I am planning to use filtered water for cooking/ drinking. What other steps can I take?

We will be taking a short trip from home for 3 days. I will be giving home food but I am also planning to give simple restaurant food like idli, dosa, roti, egg etc....is that ok.

I don't want to be too stringent, I would like her to be exposed to the environment but I don't want her to fall severely sick. Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Thanks,
    Cooks.

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My son was 11 months when we visited India. I took baby food jars from here and used mineral water for drinking and brushing teeth and used RO water for his baths. He ate fruits and tried everything that we ate (home cooked) but I didn't feed him anything from outside vendors (not even a good restaurant). I always packed his food (baby food jars) and water when we went out.
    Other than runny nose and fever that he got in the plane, he was fine. I gave him Tylenol for fever and didn't have to see a doctor.

3. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

I visited India while my son was 5 months old and then right after he turned 2. As your daughter is on solid food, make sure to give boiled-completely cooked meal. Also, make her wash her hands frequently and always after playing outside. I used to give my son boiled water to brush his teeth(ofcourse after it cools down). Avoid crowded places. If there are mosquitoes in the area you are visiting,put dress her in clothes that covers her hands and feet completely. I used to put my son into full sleeve night dress and used to spray mosquito repellent on his clothes.

My son did not get fever or anything during both of his trips. Have a safe trip

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

My daughter visited at 11 months of age and apart from aquaguard water, I took no other special precautions. She was fine. Her ped recommended malaria medication before leaving, but I forgot to give it to her. She did great, nevertheless.

We took her to tirupati, had her 1st bday function... fed her dal rice that everyone else ate and general restaurant food when we went out.

5. Rainbo

Rainbo Silver IL'ite

I visited india with my son when he was 3 months old in summer and also had to stay at some rural place for few days where electricity cut and Mosquitos was a big problem..
    he cried a lot may be because of hot whether a lot of ups and downs due to air conditioning nd outside whether differences ...few Mosquitos bit him..but thankfully he was all fine..
    I gave him Tylenol once we reached at my moms place..were no electricity cut and Mosquitos and much sanitary atmosphere..he dint cried a bit..

my plus was that I was breatfeeding so no worries of outside food and water ..
    but here in usa also we boil water and wash hands utensils to make baby food so there is nothing special in india..it's not like here it's all good ..do what you do here..

6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your tips, will definitely keep them in mind.

Cooks.