1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vaccination advice for 2 month old..urgent..plz help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutebarbie, Aug 21, 2014.

1. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My DS is 2 months old. He is thin and not gaining much weight. I got my son vaccined 2 weeks back.. The doctor gave oral rota virus, IPV polio injection, PCV injection and DPT injection.. I gave paracetamol drops for him post vaccination.. but 3 hours later he was crying very badly (uncontrollable) and his thigh was swollen.. He cried, cried and started coughing.. 2 days later he was vomitting, coughing, sneezing with blocked nose.. Then i happened to travel 600kms via train for urgent work with my DS, and there i consulted a pead.. he gave cepodem, betnasol, cough syrup and kufril for DS.. continued the medication for 6 days.. Later my DS started passing dark green stools 3 to 4 times per day.. now i reached my place and consulted another paed.. the doc told me to give enterogermina (half dose twice for 3 days).. Now DS is passing stools once in a day(he usually passes stools once) with light green color..
    My question is last month he was given all the 4 vaccinations together(3 injections and 1 oral drop).. and he could not bear the pain and got ill.. Is it possible to divide the vaccinations this time.. I mean like 2 vaccinations for 1 day..and then after 3 days gap another 2 vaccinations??
    Please reply

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Cutebarbie: I don't think your babies reaction of fever and others were to vaccination. Of course the pain in the leg will be there atleast for a day or two. I am not sure why you kept on changing the doc? Was there any reason to consult multiple docs. Its best to trust one doc and go with him as far as babies go.

Regarding taking shots in interval, you may want to check with your doc. Again just find one and stick with him. Normally they do allow vaccination in interval yes a week or so but it may depend on doctor.

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Usually DTP,Polio(IPV/OPV) and Hib are given together and is called pentavalent vaccination. You can opt to give rota virus and PCV on separate days next time.
    There are two types of DTP vaccination of which the previous type(I think it is called DTwP and recent one is DTaP) will have pain &fever as side effect but the latter wont have.So the pain in your LO's leg should be due to that and nothing to worry.
    What did the docs say were the cause of infection? Travel might have aggravated the cold. Check with doc or google on side effects of the medication given. For e.g. cefaxim(an antibiotic) caused constipation in my 1+year old. So we told the doc and later on he dont prescribe that. And as Chitra suggested its better if you stick to one paed if he is good. Because s/he will know your LO's medical history well and will be able to prescribe medicines based on that. From your profile I see you are in bangalore, if in south bangalore I can suggest you two paeds if required.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Cutebarbie,
    My tiny preemie had a lot of issues with getting all four shots at once at two months. He was sick for a couple of weeks afterwards. So for the next set, I had them staggered. I didn't let them stick all four all at once. I was still seeing his neonatologist at the time and he agreed with my plan. We gave him one shot every two weeks the next time onwards. That seemed to help a lot.
    Btw, it is rare but vaccines can cause a lot of reactions in some babies. My friends full term baby had a lot of reactions to multiple jabs at once and she also staggered vaccinations.

P.S - I too lived in Bangalore at the time. So yes, it's possible to give vaccines in staggered doses.

1 person likes this.
  5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I agree with Laks, you can tell yoru doc you dont want to give rotavirus and PCV together with pentavalent. Forgot to add that. Also before any vaccinations comes up if there are multiple vaccines suggested together check with your doctor which all can be given separately. We do the same for our DD. Infact we are yet to give PCV because after 2year LOs require only one dose instead of two dose given if they are <2yrs.

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ami,
    I managed to split up the pentavalebt too. I gave him DTaP first, HiB next and IPV next. I got rotavirus much later.
    OP, Rotarix is not a mandatory vaccine and it's not available outside of India, so you can probably do it later, when the baby is older to tolerate it.

L

7. priyasaki

priyasaki Gold IL'ite

cutebarbie,

u can go for painless injection(pentaxim i think)...
    but it costs a few extra bugs...

8. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

thanks for the reply friends..
    As i travelled to my native place, i consulted a paed there..
    @amihere Yes i live in south bangalore.. Please suggest me a good paed..
    As the next vaccination date is nearing, iam feeling very stressed out and worried..

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I have PMed you.

10. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

My Pead only gives one shot per month. Please inquire about painless shots. If need be insist the pead on only one shot per visit/per month. I can only imagine what trauma you and the little one had to go through. I have also heard from a few of my friends that giving a dose of fever medicine actually helps in keeping the pain away before the shot apt. I sincerely hope your LO doesn't have to go through any of this again. Hope next vaccination is a breeze through ...