1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Little one sucking his hands

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Imsimple, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

Hi all
    my lo start sucking his hands recently.can I give him pacifier (or leave him sucking his hands) because later on he will leave pacifier easily.

2. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

It might sound funny, but when I started doing it when i was a kid, my mom was lenient with me and my thumb started going thin as i was sucking it always. but then she use to apply karela on my thumb, just put something bitter in my hand all the time, that reduced it a lot but the only thing that stopped is one tight slap across face by my father. that is the only time tht my father has raised his hand on me !! 26 years later tht is the only time tht my father has raised his hand on me !!

3. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

He is sucking his hands too much.if I give him pacifier he might leave sucking his hands & if I give him pacifier will it effect on his feeding(I'm breast feeding him)

4. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

Ladies I need your suggestion

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I would let him suck his hands, mine did the same and now at 8 months does not do it. Though because it was winter here she used to wear mittens. During night she still wears mittens to prevent scratching.

I wouldn't give pacifier. My Dr. Recommended it, but I would just let baby suck hands, its soothing to them and they won't do it forever.

How old is your baby?

Cooks

2 people like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

My daughter sucked her thumb for 5-6 years...we tried everything to stop her.Nothing worked. Her front teeth were effected. She had to wear braces for two years to correct them.

The pediatrician told us thumb sucking is fine......but the dentists don't agree with this view. It effects the teeth .

I wonder if a pacifier effects the teeth too.

7. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Imsimple ...your baby is just 2 months old. It is not a habit at this age. Let him do it. It will go away on its own. Dont give pacifier

1 person likes this.