1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What can we give to a 2 month baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Imsimple, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

What can we give to a 2 month old baby apart from milk
    my baby is 2 month old and I'm giving him gripe water.do I need to give him anything else.

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

2 months is too early to give any thing to a baby(other than milk), without consulting the doctor. If you are breast feeding or giving formula please continue with the same until the baby is 6 months. Any supplements should be given under doctors guidance.

2 people like this.
  3. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

Thanks 4 reply actually somebody told me to give him carom seed water etc

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Does he have any trouble that people have suggested a remedy? If so, please do check with his doctor instead of giving home based remedies.

It is not recommended that infants are given anything other than milk - mums or formula. Gripe water if need be.

even water could potentially be dangerous as it might tip the child's electrolyte balance. The advice would be with good intentions but recent studies might prove otherwise. So do be cautious.

2 people like this.
  5. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

Thank u for your reply actually my in laws say give water,carom seed water to him.they say carom seed is good for digestion and baby will drink more milk.i m breast feeding him they say I should give him formula as well they say giving more milk is good for baby.i am a new mum so they always advice me.

6. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

Dont give anything apart from milk. Breastmilk is always better than formula. Why are u giving gripe water ? Is he having digestion problem ? Is he crying from colic pain ? Too much of gripe water is bad for babies. Start with rice cereal after 4 to 5 months at the earliest. Till then milk only, and no water.

Inlaws , and parents, advice a lot. Sorry to say but all advices are not correct. Breastmilk is best for baby, better than formula. Feed him as much as possible, the more u feed him, the more milk u will produce. If you start giving formula, baby will be full and not breastfeed much, and your body will produce less milk thinking baby needs less milk. So feed him as much as u can. These breastfeeding days are really tough for new moms, but do it, it is the best for your baby, enjoy breastfeeding, and congratulations

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

Thank u I will not give him anything.
    when my in laws ask me are u giving him formula or water what will I say to them if I say no they feel bad.whenever they come they ask me are u giving formula or not

8. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Tell your in laws that your son's pediatricians asked not to give anything other than breast milk until LO is 4-5 months old.

Mother's milk is best for the baby and unless your pediatrician recommends formula(because of poor weight gain), nothing should be given until baby is at least 4 moths old. I have a 4 year old and a 3 months old. My baby is exclusively on mom's milk and I will slowly introduce solid food once he is 4-5 months old. If his Ped says so then I will start rice-oatmeal cereal at 4 months.

1 person likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Only brest milk.Nothing else.
    No water please.....not required till 4 months at least. (a lot of diseases in early child hood are caused by water borne microbes)

No need to give any formula or solids till 4 months.

Tell in laws that the doctor scolded you for giving water and formula .
    Also don't give gripe water without asking the doctor.

1 person likes this.
  10. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

Thank u both of u.