1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a good time to start on semi-solids?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Aug 7, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Is it a good idea to start semi - solids for a 4 month old? If yes, could you please give me some ideas ....

Currently, I prepare liquid formula like this - I add 2 scoop formula powder and 4 oz warm water. To prepare semi-solids, should I start adding rice cereal with this liquid formula?

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Yes anytime between 4-6 months is good. If you are breast feeding your baby, mix the cereal with breast milk(let it be soupy ., i.e, if you take one spoon of cereal please mix it with 3 or 4 spoons of milk till you feel its soupy enough) and start one or twice a day, then gradually increase it. Since your baby is only 4 months the more feeds needs to be breast milk or formula.

Yes you can start adding the cereal to your formula preparation, but please note it needs to be soupy not too thick.

3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Anitha. Any reason you want to start solids now and not wait till 6 months? Did your doc give a go ahead? I would say check with your doc on when to start solids.

2 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Chitra. Until 6 months, all the babies need is milk. Any reason why you are contemplating to start this early? If there is no medical reason, I suggest that you wait for at least another 6 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  5. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

Wait until 6 months until 6 months provide 100 % on Bm or formula. Wait at least he sits on his own without support. After 6 months u can start with fruits and veggies than starting with store bought cereal. Store bought cereal has lots of iron in it and it can get him constipated . If he is already on formula he don't need iron fortified cereal.
    Proceed with stage 1 fruits and veggies and continue with homemade rice and oats powder.

6. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

It is always recommended to wait till 6th month completion, at time time Annaprasana will be done and all types of foods are slowly started.

7. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

For my baby I waited until 6 months; my doctor very strictly advised against starting semi-solids before completion of 6 months.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  8. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

thanks ladies.. i just thought to start with semi-solids once he is 5 months old so that he sleeps for longer hours .. will check with my dr at his check up..

9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

OP, as far as preparing formula goes, follow the manufacturers instructions strictly. In the uk, every formula I have used suggested one scoop per ounce of water. Of course the difference could be because of the difference in the measure of ounce between here and there..

As for starting solids, while there have been people who have started it around 4 mo, 6 months is when it is recommended. Otherwise the child could possibly develop allergies. Whenever you start solids, use the milk the child is used to as a base and add little amounts of the chosen solids to it. (10:1 ratio initially) Even though the food will probably be like milk, make sure you give it with a cup and spoon while the child sits upright.

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

There is a misconception that starting semi solids is equal to long hour sleep. Every baby reacts differently to solids and for them to sleep through night they need solids multiple times in a day and not just once. It's a slow process so take it slowly at your babies pace.

3 people like this.