1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a good time to start on semi-solids?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Anita, while it may be true to an extent that he may sleep longer, that longer is not going to be for more than 30 mins or so. Don't start solids because you heard he may sleep longer. Also, is his head stable completely? Is he able to sit with support (in a high chair)? He is showing interest in our food when you eat? Is the tongue thrust reflux gone?
    if the answer to all the above is yes, then ya, maybe he is ready for solids. Buts it's still recommended to wait until 6 months.
    he has all his life to eat solids.

Also, when you start solids, start in the afternoons. I started with mixing 50 ml of milk with tea spoon of rice cereal. It's pretty much just milk. At that age the main source of nutrition is still milk. We are just getting them used to the fact that food comes with a spoon also. After giving her cereal for about a week in the afternoon, I started giving that to her at nights also.

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

hi ladies,

my baby just completed 4 months old this Sunday. while he takes BM he gets hunger soon (had to feed every 3-4 hours once) but while he is on formula, he cries only after 5 hours or so. so, we started giving formula milk for night time (at 11 pm) so he sleeps until 5 am or so. Rest of the day, we give BM.

3. AnithaPartha

Chitra,

It is not a misconception. it is the FACT !
    when we keep babies tummy full then they sleep for longer hours (the longer I mean here is upto 5-6 hours and not expecting more than that for a 4 month older) :)

and more over all moms will be just waiting to give solid at 6 month thinking babies tend to sleep more lol ...

mine sleeps more on formula (max 5 hours) as formula is on heavier side and not with BM (max 3 hours) as BM is on lighter side but more nutritive and my baby had cried only for milk all these 4 months long (was never a fussy baby).. . he is such a cutie pie :)

i remember giving semi solid for my elder one at 3 months or so due to reflux issues.

4. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Hi Anitha,
    Even if he's on formula, 5 hours is too long a gap in between two feeds.

Edit: I just re-read your post and realised you meant the feed at night just before sleeping.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Im sure you know this...the fore milk in BM is watery and will not be filling up a baby's stomach as much as the hind milk. So, if you are pumping, you should be giving him a full feed. That is probably why your LO seems fuller with the formula. With my DS, Formula or BM did not make a difference. Like Rakhii mentioned, I would wait for the baby to situp, show interest in food and then introduce solids. 4 months seems too early otherwise. Pl go ahead if the baby's weight is on the lower side(Ofcourse, after your doctor gives a go ahead). Giving solids too soon might result in digestion problems.

6. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

True ramyav_cse, it's not about longer sleep... The baby's spine (especially neck) needs to be stable enough to sustain long durations of sitting up, and more importantly, the baby's digestive tract needs to be matured & developed enough to digest & process semi-solids, no matter how soft or liquid-like; there's a reason why 6 months is the usual recommended age for that. I feel the doctor's word should be the last word on such matters.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Anitha, what did your doctor say? Did he says the baby is ready for solids? They usually check the neck position and all before giving a go-ahead. Also have you read my response post#11? It has more things to look out for before starting solids.

As such, a lot of mom's (especially in India) start solids by 4 months. If your instincts say he is ready for solids, go for it. Just start slowly.

8. AnithaPartha

Hello Ladies,

The intention behind my thread was - is it good time to start semi - solids for 4 months old and not SOLIDS!!!

i'll appreciate if everyone can understand the intention of this thread and talk about semi-solids for a 4 months older.. I'm expecting ideas about how to feed semi solids for babies .. Thanks :)

I started with colostrum milk, BM (direct), Expressed BM (pumping) then formula milk.. Now, it's time for baby to start Semi solids ..

Our baby s 4th month vaccination went very well (80 percentile weight) and dr has given green signal to start with semi solids :thumbsup. He has asked us to start by adding 1 spoon rice cereal or barley baby cereal with 1 oz BM or formula milk and try with bowl and spoon and not in bottle ! He has asked to try twice a day ...

I'm planning to try it out just once a day and I ll post my baby s reaction to it :)
    I'm hoping he might like it .. Let's see... Baby now a days pulls our finger and puts into his mouth and keep on trying big toys to put into his mouth to lick it.. (Needs attention 24/7)

9. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi...

i am a ftm.when you ladies are saying cereal?
    what do you mean ?

also one question,

anitha..sorry for hijacking ur thread,i just have 1 query and i saw lot of exp mommies in this thread.hence asking it here.

my son wakes up every 3 hours sometimes 2 hours at night.he just entered 4 th month.
    is this common? I have heard my friend dd sleep straight 7 hrs.
    here anitha says 5 hrs.please pour in ur suggestion on sleep too.

10. AnithaPartha

Hi ladies,

we started with semi solids for my baby (4 months 3 weeks) .. Gerber rice cereal 1 tsp with 1 oz once per day .. He is doing good .. Next month will start cerelac :)