1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gifts to give a new born baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by anu1215, Aug 6, 2014.

1. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Am thinking to take few gifts to my sis son.. he will be born in october, so can u please suggest things which i carry and will really help my sis after deliverly(she is in india) and she asked me to get quick dry sheet from US, i was confused there.. everyone gets from india to here? her friend cousin got one from US. pls let me know if anyone is aware about it.

Thanks
    anu

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Hi Anu

Here are few things which I suggest

1. Fisher Price's play gym(it has beautiful lights and music which little babies will really enjoy, they try to reach for those tiny hanging toys), This is very light to be carried.
    2. Good pacifiers
    3. Dr.Brown's feeding bottles, as they come with different nipple sizes which would suit as they grow up.
    4. Breast pump for your sister.
    5. Baby wipes and towels they are so soft and good here

These are few things that is coming to my mind

1 person likes this.
  3. theoffice

theoffice Bronze IL'ite

Breast pump, baby carrier...

4. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

I would suggest

- Infant Bibs, air-free baby bottles
    - new born/0-3 months clothes
    - play mat/gym mat
    - diaper bag

5. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Lavanya made up a beautiful list, i would like to add just if you look for toys the freddy the firefly toy by lamaze, i got it for my baby too :) if you would be in India i would say maybe some nice bangles, otherwise you can search arround for care products in US, i heard the brands in US are really good...what about a little care product for your sis? She might be really happy to get something little for herself too :)

Its lovely you ask so much in advance how to make your sis happy and what would be helpfull for her, seems you are a thoughtfull and caring sister :)

1 person likes this.
  6. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

From US to India, I would think of things like:
    1. Baby toiletries (especially creams & lotions) in brands like Aveeno, California Baby, Mustela, Burt's Bees, etc. These are either not available, or way too expensive as compared to overseas.
    2. Basic cognitive toys for infants by brands like LeapFrog, Lamaze, Fisher Price, etc.
    3. Sensitive skin diapers for newborns (better quality & cheaper than in India)
    4. A nice stroller
    5. Soft hypoallergenic baby blanket, towels, bibs, etc.
    6. Quality/sensitive wipes
    7. Baby Bottom balm for rashes & Nipple balm for mom (from brands like Earth Mama, Burt's Bees, Neal's Yard Remedies, etc)

Rest you get pretty much everything in India these days.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all for the list of items to buy. hope my sister enjoys the gifts

8. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I am not sure if you can carry stroller /baby carrier with you , if you do not have bay. Last year , I took these items for my SILs infants -
    1. Pair of bottles and nipple set (Dr brown or any good one) and breast pump
    2. Mittens (in india there are very expensive. Here you get 3 for $5 )
    3. Vibs
    4. Pacifier (I would say get atleast 2-3, I got 4 (2 for 0-3 month and 2 for 3-6 month)
    5. If you have any possibility of winter, then some winter cloths.
    6. I am not sure if blanket or towel is worth because here you will get good one in $12 (minimum) and may get better quality in 600 RS in india.
    7. Infant shoes (they are so cute)

1 person likes this.
  9. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

Strollers can be easily taken when packed, in cargo. They are very commonly brought from abroad to India, because of quality/variety and relatively cheaper prices. Everything else like blankets, towels, mittens, baby shoes, pacifiers, bottles (Avent, Dr Brown, etc) are all easily available in India too.

But toiletry brands are very limited and good international brands like Aveeno, Mustela, Burt's Bees, etc, (if available in select stores) are very expensive as compared to overseas.
    Also, the real good (preferably hypoallergenic) baby blankets are upwards of Rs.1,500-2,000/- a piece; you do get great quality & variety in US owing to the cold weather (esp. Northern states).
    Anyhow, I'm sure your sister will love the gifts you choose/have chosen for her. Happy shopping :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  10. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you lotus for taking time to write down ur experiencing buying the gifts.. i have twins they are 31/2 yrs... i like to know do we have humidifiers in india? is it cheaper or we can buy it from here.. my kids gonna stay in india at least 6months.. how to cope up for them not getting sick and get used to weather, last 2 trips were hectic with making rounds at hospital. and got sick for 3 weeks with throat infection . this time am going to boil the water and give it to them. should i carry some boiled water on the flight.. some say even the flight water is not bud for kids. please pour ur thoughts on this.