1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby not sleeping day and night

Discussion in 'Infants' started by kshema, Jul 19, 2014.

1. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    My 1 1/2 month baby boy not sleeping day time and nyte also.. If he sleeps its for 15min only.. Sometimes he cries for whole night... Totally in a day he sleeps only 2 3 hours... Please help me how to make him sleep... Any home remedies?? Please share

2. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

OP, usually babies of this age spend most of the time sleeping...if he is crying at night, this maybe because he is getting hungry..when he cries have you tried feeding him ? Also, colic pain is a major cause due to which babies cry a lot...there are anti-colic drops like Decolic for infants (give ONLY after prescribed by doctor and in right dosage)...I am not aware of home-remedies for colic pain...drops give quick relief usually...is he passing stool regularly ?

In day time are you giving him oil massage before bath ? Also, try giving head bath as this soothes a baby and helps him sleep..

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you. My daughter was like that. It will pass but will be excruciating! A lot of people said let her cry but one lifesaving midwife told me that she just needs to be held and upright. She said I won't be spoiling her by giving her this comfort During those early days. The children need the security and touch soothes them and that in then reduces the stress hormones in their bodies which prevent proper growth.

have you spoken to his doctor to see what the problem might be? Is he gaining enough weight? Perhaps he is lactose intolerant?

Has he says been like this or is it a recent phenomena? Around the 1.5 month mark, they have a growth spurt. They'd want to feed day and night if breast feeding. Let him. In 3/4 days your supply will be established better and your routine will be back.

My dd cried all the time since birth. Here are some things based on our experience.

- burp him after each feed and keep him upright for at least 20 min after a feed, patting gently on his back. when you burp him, pat gently in the middle of his back and move your hand up. (We used to go from top to bottom traditionally. But I found bottom to top much more effective with my dd)
    - do the I-love-you massage on his tummy - check for online videos. Also pedal his legs while singing a gentle song. Press his knees gently on his tummy. All these will help relieve gas. as jigisha says massage is great but there as no way my dd would let us do it- she'd scream her head off :(
    - ask for Simethicone drops to relieve gas. I think you can even give gripe water now.
    - have a baby bath tub and bathe him in it. My dd would be calm and almost doze off in the lukewarm water - check for temperature with your elbow. Her bath times were long - nearly 20 min. She would loudly protest when we picked her up though.
    - if you are breast feeding, feed on demand.
    - at the same time if your child is too demanding, introduce a pacifier because sometimes the child just wants to suckle for comfort. He might reject it initially. Don't stuff it in his mouth but gently keep offering it by stroking his lower lip gently with it. (Check Videos online) he will eventually accept it.
    - With my dd, giving her 15 ml formula top up after every feed helped. Sometimes after the top up, she would feed better.
    - also recline with 4/5 pillows to support your back and lie your baby on top of you on his tummy. It seemed like a great way to feed too and my dd slept better on her tummy on me. Check out biological nurturing feeding position for how to do this. (I used to have a lot of skin to skin contact with her by putting her in just her nappy inside my robe. It really calmed her)
    - when you do the above and at most times, make sure the noise levels are super low and the lights are out, curtains drawn. Bring black out blinds if you can.
    - introduce white noise to dull everything else out. Eg. tune radio to a static station in the room your baby is sleeping in.
    - elevate his cot such that his head is 30 degrees higher than his feet - not the head alone with pillows. The entire cot needs to be raised on the side he lays his head. We put heavy dictionaries/ encyclopaedias to prop the entire cot up.
    - avoid stimulation. Cut down on visitors or just take him in when he gets agitated.
    - avoid bouncing him.
    - swaddle him (don't straighten his legs when you do this) with his arms tucked in - it should be tight enough but not too tight. A soft cotton duppata folded into two was perfect for this.
    - have him on your shoulder, pat him rhythmically on the back, and keep saying shhhhh gently
    - avoid loud noises, same loud singing. Make sure everything is calming(my mum claimed singing loudly will make the infant sleep but it only made the child extremely upset and exhausted with crying and wake up screaming in 10 min)
    - actually, unless you are feeding him try to get someone else to hold him. With me she expected to be fed and would scream her head off when I went near her. Even if she'd just fed. With my husband she settle sooner. She even slept more with my SIL who was also lactating then! Sometimes mum just means milk supplier :(
    - check out if there are cranial osteopaths near you. Make sure they are good by checking out reviews. Once we took her to a cranial osteopath, my dd did cry less.

Take care. It will certainly get better

7 people like this.
  4. kshema

kshema Bronze IL'ite

Thanks both for your suggestions...

5. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

hats of to u guesshoo.
    so sweet to have written down everything so well.
    thank you,