1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to let baby watch tv?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rainbo, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Rainbo

Rainbo Silver IL'ite

I am a full time mom of a 4 month old..I am mostly al alone all day once my hubby leaves for work...so it's just me n my baby..I try to keep him entertained but it's not possible for me to talk to him all the time..so I let him watch tv when I want some time for me or I have todo some daily chores...
    I personally don't like the idea of letting baby watch tv..but I don't have choice..

What u moms who spends whole day with their baby's alone do??

1 person likes this.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rainbo: NO absolutely not ok for you baby to watch TV. TV was no no when my DD was a baby until she was 15 months old. Now she is 3.5yrs and gets bored with TV after 30 mins.Thank god :)

Your baby is too small and TV rays are not good for him. it will cause problems to his eyes inlong run. I don't stay at home but I do take care of my second son on weekends and believe me TV would be the last thing that I can remember. I feel I don't have time at all. Why don't you take your son to a near by park, or library or just a stroll. At this age I am sure your baby is not awake that much either. He would still be sleeping on and off and may be awake for an hour or two and its easy to engage. Yes you need to play with him, talk to him, take him out. Just engage him.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Her rainbow,
    Please stop your 4 month old baby's TV watch..it's big no no ..Till 6 month their eyes are not fully developed and you are exploiting them before complete development.

My DD is 3.5 yrs and she started watching TV from 2.5years that too for limited time. We have not exposed her to theatre yet..if we want to go for movie, go on some working days when she is at daycare..

If you are not able to manage, please arrange Nanny or day care some thing instead of showing TV

4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

Is it ok to show them laptop/tablet screens? We do weekly video calls with the family and it's not possible not to show them in the screen.

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Uma: Are you asking or telling waitingsmiley. Anyways for me its a NO NO again. But you say you can't avoid so there is nothing more we can do about it. Just minimize the exposure.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  6. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

no!
    rainbow tv is absolutely big no for such a small baby.
    for the baby you can buy some activity toys which willl keep him busy, like bouncer , baby gym , and even a mobile on his cot can keep a baby occupied.
    my son even enjoyed staring at the fan for some time.
    for such small babies every thing is amazing and they try to observe everything carefully, you will see if you keep a baby bouncer or play pen near a window which lets them enjoy the outside view they will not cry.
    my suggestion will be try to finish most of your work in his naps , and even if you have to work , keep singing or talking to the baby , i would sing rhymes or my favorite baby songs , sometimes i would play them on my mobile and the baby would coo back. it is really sweet. also try to read to him, you fight find it funny to read to a small baby but it does help and is better than tv on any day.

7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

For me it's big no no gain..if you want to show your family then try to occupy baby with some toys like gym or some musical toys etc. By this mean baby will be busy with toys and family can see baby as well. If you are just showing for few minutes then I guess it's OK but not for hour or so.

1 person likes this.
  8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi dear,

As others have said before, tv is not advisable at all. It is recommended that kids get 0 screen time at least until they turn two years old.

My child was extra fussy at that age; a baby gym mat worked quite well. Also a baby bouncer was useful as I could strap the baby in it while cooking and talk / sing to her. You could play music softly on an iPod Dock or the laptop. While feeding her, I would read or have earphones on to watch videos on my laptop.

Having a routine would really help you and settle the child much better. Look online for routines for a 4 month old. Once you get into it you will be really relieved. Take care

9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

My doctor also advised the same, TV should start after 2 years of age. Its ok if the baby glances at it or just passes by it. It should not be continuous watching.

I know its easier said then done. My husband when he comes home from work, likes to sit in front of TV. So my baby (7 month) will be playing with him while he's watching TV, she will steal glances at it from time to time and sometimes stare at it.

To keep your 4 month old occupied, I would suggest an activity mat like the fisherprice rainforest gym or the gymini mat. I also have the fisherprice piano activity gym, my daughter still plays with it each morning. You can get a swing with a vibrate function, they like that. Other times keep baby occupied with rattles, read books, show mobiles or musical toys. Give baby a massage so it relaxes and try to exercise with baby too (try an exercise mom-baby DVD). Switch on the radio or music, babies love to listen to people talking.

Cooks.

10. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Try to get chores done when baby is sleeping or when husband is taking care of baby. Hire some help for an hour or two, someone who can play with baby, maybe twice a week. You can then get things done around the house while the hired person keeps baby occupied. You can search on "Care.com" or your local desi area classifields. Its usually $10-$14 per hour depending upon area.

If you have friends with babies, then try to do time-sharing baby sitting. Have them come over with there baby. While they play , you can finish house-work and you can do the same for them.

Cooks.