1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travel with infant from US to India

Discussion in 'Infants' started by kavitha87, Jul 1, 2014.

1. kavitha87

kavitha87 New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

I am kavitha. I am new to IL. This is my first post. But i follow IL whenever i need help. I am going to India from US with my 4 month old on july 14th. So i am nervous about my travel. Thank god my mom who is 60+ also coming with me. But still I am nervous about my travel because i cant expect more help from my mom. We booked wheel chair for my mom. So i have to take care of my son and my mom. Can you pls help to make this travel safe and happy?

I am exclusively BF and now i am going to try similac for my baby. For that i have to train bottle feeding. I am on the process now.

So this is my case. What are the things should i take for my baby for flight travel?And how to handle my baby throughout my travel.

i booked tickets in emirates and got bassinet also.

can you pls suggest some useful tips because this is my first flight travel with my LO.

Thank you.

2. kriztina

kriztina Bronze IL'ite

Be ready with the basics, diaper bag. Take your LO favorite or blanket that your baby always uses at home. You can breast feed your baby with a cover up or something similar shawl etc. Try to feed baby when taking off and landing for sure since they will be pressure difference and most babies cry due to associated ear pain I have heard. But I haven't experienced that in my LO.You don't have to think about food for baby since baby is EBF for now. This is obvious advice you make sure to drink lots of fluid to avoid being fatigued due to journey and BF. May be get a carrier for baby so you can wear your baby comfortably and you can push a cabin bag and carry a diaper bag comfortably. Be careful about things allowed in a diaper bag. My LO hated the bassinet, I hope your LO settles down for along flight. But easier to manage 4 month old baby than a rambunctious toddler. Don't be nervous have safe flight. Since travelers with a child will get more priority you will be fine.

3. kavitha87

kavitha87 New IL'ite

Thank you kriztina for your reply. Is there anything else i should consider while travelling? Some people are suggesting that we can give minimal amount of sedative to make baby to sleep. is this advisable?

4. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Absolutely no to sedatives. Please don't worry. Be calm. Take some music, toys to keep your baby happy. Don't get worried. Its hard but you will manage. Air hostesses also are very nice and will help you out. Safe travel.

5. kriztina

kriztina Bronze IL'ite

I don't believe in giving sedatives to infant. He/she's just a baby, its easy to handle a swaddled baby my dear you will understand as your baby starts to crawl and get into things. Moisturizer for the baby as AC is very drying for everybody. Wipes and more wipes. That should be enough for this age as you don't have to heat or prepare any sort of food. Okay now remember to right your experience on flight with 4 month old baby when your back.:thumbsup

6. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely no to sedatives. As for ear ache, I followed advice that I read in of all things a novel! And it absolutely worked. During take off and landing, you will have to keep baby in your lap. Hold your baby tight against you will the head facing your chest, just like you would cuddle. Using your hands, close the ears - before taxiing. This will keep the ear pressure even without fluctuation.

I used it on my DS till our last trip during which time he himself started closing his ears and has never had problems.

I know that every infant is different, so this may or maynot work for your baby. But please don't give any sedatives. And another important factor - you be happy...and automatically your baby will too.

1 person likes this.
  7. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Babies like the white noise of the plane...it puts even fussy babies to sleep. I am the example....my baby slept most of the flight,generally she is mostly awake.

So dont worry. Lotsa diapers,wipes and importantly a THICK blanket...the air conditioning in plane is generally high. Just 2 or 3 favorite toys. Lucky that your baby is 4 mos old....after 1 yr they become very tough in travel.

No sedatives(cold syrups,gripe waters). Why? coz when you give a sedative it might actually make the baby lose consciousness...and one will keep thinking the baby is asleep, when you realise some thing wrong, you will be in air. So take no chances, better baby cries and be awake than fainted.

1 person likes this.
  8. MonuInUsa

MonuInUsa New IL'ite

I hope I can offer you advice since I travelled with my 4 month old son from US to India 4 years ago.

1) I would not switch to formula before you travel. Having to deal with bottles and warm water is sososo much harder than breastfeeding. Plus you don't know what type reaction your LO will have to formula and could have tummy problems and cry a lot on the plane. Keep breastfeeding they don't need formula if breastfeeding is going well.

2) you can call the airline and request a bassinet seat. If they have it available thy will provide you seat in which bassinet can be attached in front of you and also can sleep. If this is not an option then take car seat or bouncer seat if your LO will sleep in it.

3) have diaper bag all ready and in front of you

4) nurse at takeoff and landing to minimize ear pain

5) take stroller or carrier for time at the airport. You can check in the stroller at the gate

i can't think if anything else right now. Good luck and safe travels!

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

10. kavitha87

kavitha87 New IL'ite

Thank you hope2b , kriztina , DKI , heron , MonuInUsa for ur valuable advice.

Today i went to pediatrician to check about vaccines. And i asked reg. my air travel.she said i can use Tylenol drops if my baby is cranky. It will make him to sleep. But i am afraid to do it. confused now. What to do? Any ideas?

And reg, formula he is not at all drinking single drop of similac. I tried a lot. Now i feed him every 2 or 3 hrs. As of now i am having enough milk. But i dot know whether i ll make enough milk during air travel.If i am not, what should i do?pls advice me.

Planning to pump and store some breast milk. But i dont know how much OZ i can take into flight?

Experienced mom, how did you handle your child during your flight travel?

Usually i can manage my son wherever i go out. He is a good boy only. But i am not sure about air travel. What will i do if my son starts crying?

Praying god to make my trip happy and safe.

Expecting your answers friends.