1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

At what age do babies sleep on their own

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vaisnavi, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Vaisnavi

Vaisnavi Silver IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    At what age do babies sleep on their own..?that is without rocking..swinging etc
    My baby is 4 and half months old..even if she is too sleepy she needs rocking or swinging in cradle to go into sleep.
    And most of the time she rolls over in sleep and wakes up...we need to again rock her to sleep:-(

Is it too early to expect her to sleep on her own?any help on this?

2 people like this.

2. Kita

Kita Senior IL'ite

Some kids starts as they start gong to school and some kids start late......you can try once in a week first to make your baby sleep by her own by just lying with your baby....it will be difficult initially but you can try..... Sing some or or tell some story so that baby can enjoy....

3. nalinidiv

nalinidiv Platinum IL'ite

My dd got trained to sleeping on her own from 5 months . pediatrician suggested to keep a dark and silent room environment every night. I followed the same she got used to it very easily. Now she s four yr old. She doesn't need any action to make her go to sleep

4. Vaisnavi

Vaisnavi Silver IL'ite

At 5 months!!! So cool...may be I need to try this....

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

she insists because she likes it. She isn't about to stop automatically. You need to let her learn it. It is especially important for babies to sleep uninterrupted as it is hugely beneficial for their brain development.

About a week after we started sleep training, my dd turned into a completely changed, happy child. I recommend the baby whisperer's technique. Do look it up online.

Since my dd had various health problems the first 6-7 months, we sleep trained her only when she was 8.5 mo. It was a huge battle with all of us weeping and the baby wailing. However the struggle was worth it. IMO it would have been much easier if I had done the sleep training before she learnt to sit and stand holding the railings on her cot. So, it is the right time for you to start.

Good luck.

ps: I had written some pointers in these threads perhaps you would find them useful

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/200973-13-month-old-girl-not.html#post2613916

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/244965-need-help-stopping-cradle-sleep.html#post3128720

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/infants/252341-sleep-training-6-months-old.html#post3204655

2 people like this.
  6. sangeethaamar

sangeethaamar Silver IL'ite

By 5 1\2 month ,we started to train him. We switched the light off and slept with him. Starting he used to roll here and there then after some time he started to sleep on his own.
    P.s : I never used cradle for him from the beginning.

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

my kids slept around 16 months whole night! If I lie near them,then they started sleeping on their own around 11 months..sorry if it did not help u but understand this time flies very very fast before u even know!

Other than that u can try sleep training.It works if u r emotionally strong.It worked for me BUT once I went for a vacation and they slept with me and that's it! back to square one!but u keep trying again it definetly works!Although never start sleep training before 7 months.

I have twins:) so u can imagine how it must have been:)) if this seems a bit consoling to u but life is so good now.so no worries.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hi could you give more details?, would you sleep next to baby?

Cooks.

9. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

Hi vaishnavi,

My son is 5 months old..it worked for me..when he is tummy full n tired
    we jus sleep together silently. ..no matter lights on or off..
    he goes to sleep on his own..

with my daughter..she started to sleep on her own by 10 months
    but I have to tell stories for tat or grace her legs n hands by finger tip

regards
    bestmom

10. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

My baby slept better as a newborn. Since her 5th month, she started to fuss to sleep and I can see day by day, she fusses more and cries when she is being put to sleep. I read the posts by guesshoo but scared to try it. Yesterday I put my little one in the crib and she cried soooo much. I spend so much time to put her to sleep that it tests my patience. I bring her midnight to sleep next to me (she's already in her sleep but wakes up tossing and turning out of habit, and that's when I bring her to my bed and she comfort sucks herself to sleep)
    ladies I know the solution but need some support. Should I stop bringing her to my bed. At the moment she doesn't cry to sleep with me...it's my guilt that does that. The problem I have is she cries when she is being rocked or put to sleep in the first place.