1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Formula Feed for 2 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Blueblue, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Blueblue

Blueblue Bronze IL'ite

Hello All,

My LO will complete 2 months. I want to start formula. Right now I am BF. I know my milk production has reduced. LO is crying every 30 mins, I tried pump but no use, I ate all suggested veggies, greens, drank loads water, had oats nothing is helping. LO weight is not increasing. My dr is saying eat more veggies and we will see if weight will increase but I cant see my LO crying....my heart breaks.

I want to start formula but again I dont know if I have taken right decision.
    Can anyone please help me. I read that formula feed is not good. Please help me.

Blue

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, You can start formula . Consult the baby's doctor and do it. They will suggest brands of formula. I did for my baby becoz he didnt get the hang of breastfeeding .Good Luck.

3. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Formula feeding my baby since birth and no issues yet..touchwood...formula is not harmful though it causes constipation in some babies..just talk to your paediatrician for the right brand for your baby..

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Dear, don't worry. Formula is also food for the infant and if that is what your hold needs, do give it. Talk to the doctor and start immediately especially if your hold isn't gainng weight. Think of it like this - your child needs nutrition one way or another.

Feed your child and then give about an ounce of formula. Often your child will feel a bit more energetic to suck after that quick dose of formula. You would soon settle into a routine with your child of a bf session topped up with an ounce or two of formula.

Take care

1 person likes this.
  5. Blueblue

Blueblue Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much for all your responses. I havent slept properly thinking of side effects of formula.

My dr is saying no to formula. I have planned to give Nan pro 1.
    I got chico bottle, have sterlized. I am confused about the feeding chart.

So it says -

Age of infant - 3rd and 4th month

Quantity per feed -
    previously boiled water 180ml or 6oz
    Number of measuring scoops - 6

Number of feeds per day -Formula - 5

My question is 180 ml with 6 scoops of formula per feed, isnt this quantity too much for LO.

Should this be given as lukewarm.

what are the side effects of feeding formula?

Please help
    Blue

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Blue Do not feel guilty about feeding formula. Go with your gut feel. If you feel your baby is hungry even after taking a feed from you, then give formula.

How are you pumping? Have you tried pumping in the early mornings to check if you have a good supply?

With respect to formula: First you feed your LO. If he is still crying then give formula. Start with 1 oz of formula. If he drinks it completely then increase the quantity slightly. Do not start with 6 oz of formula right away. First your LO has to get used to the taste of formula and the bottle nipple. This will take some time. LO would probably be frustrated and start crying more. But hold on and your LO would soon start accepting them.

4-6 oz is the amount range for 3-4 month old baby.

Formula needs to be lukewarm. Test the warmth on the back of your palm.

7. Blueblue

Blueblue Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much ramya for your reply.

I gave my LO 1 scoop of formula mixed in 30 ml luke warm water. I gave him in the night as a top feed. He accepted well. I am happy. Today I gave him in the morning after bath he drank, planning to give again in the night.

Am I doing it right? Sometimes he falls asleep while drinking, how long I can keep the remaining formula milk. Can I keep it in refrigarator and then give him.

Blue

8. priyasaki

priyasaki Gold IL'ite

blueblue,

my LO is 5 months old...
    i am giving him formula as supplement from 18th day itself...

u can keep the formula only for 30mins...
    should not keep in refrigerator...

9. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Mix bf with formula. First bf then give formula. After 30 minutes throw away the remaining formula. Slowly increase the amount. Your baby is gaining weight that's all.

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, Formula can be used for maximum 1 hr of mixing.It was suggested by paed.6 oz formula maybe too much.Good Luck.