1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moms of babies under 1 year

Discussion in 'Infants' started by rose8282, Jun 16, 2014.

1. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi all...I am a second time mom. My son has completed 3 months. It is better to introduce solids after 6 months. Breastfeeding till that time period is better for the baby. Some docs tell to give mashed fruits here after completing 4 months. But I have no such plans. I did not do it with my dd and not planning to do it with ds also. My son also poops once in 4 days and that is ok as long as he is exclusively on bm. If formula is being given then they have to be monitored for constipation. Giving prune juice to an infant is not advisable. My son takes his feed once in 2 to 3 hours. Night time he sleeps for max 5 to 6 hours. When I had pumped milk I did feed him with a dropper since he did not take the bottle and was fussing with the nipple.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My son is 8 months old. This is his routine.

6.00 am - Wake up. He usually poops within couple of minutes. So diaper change and feed. Plays/crawls all around the house. He is trying to stand by himself so lots of crying involved as and when he falls.
    7.45 am - Feed/nap time
    9.00 am - Breakfast - idli/dosa
    10.30 am - Bath
    11.00 am - Feed/nap time
    12.30 pm - Lunch- mashed rice + veggies + dal
    1.30 pm - Nap time
    3.30 pm - Snack - Gerber puffs/Marie biscuits/Murmura/Mashed fruits
    6.00 pm - Dinner - Fruit/Sooji cereal
    7.00 pm - Bedtime

He is teething so he being a cranky boy and terrible sleeper.

1 person likes this.
  3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

My daughter is 6 months old. This is her routine:

6.30-7:30am – Does not crawl, so plays in the crib till I brush teeth/make tea and husband gets ready for work. Usually poops too at this time.

7.45 – 8:30am – Plays on activity mat, spends time with husband on balcony, morning routine of meeting our cat (which my cat does not enjoy at all)

8:30 am – Feed/Nap

9:30am-wakes up, feeds sometimes

10:30 am – Eats rice/dal/veggie puree

10:30-12:00- go to library for storytime, playgroup, shopping, errands etc…

12:00 pm – Feed/Nap time

2:30 pm – Eats fruit puree

3:00-5:00pm- plays, go for a walk (may take a short nap in stroller), read book etc…

5:00pm- Feeds/sometimes naps

6:00pm- plays with husband

7.00 pm – Eats rice/dal/veggie

7:15pm- Massage

7:30-Bath

8:00pm- Feeds/Sleep

Will wake up again between 10pm-12am, then at 3am and 5am.

Cooks

2 people like this.
  4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

cooks,

Such an exhaustive plan..it's awesome..could you please give us pointers on how you achieved and established this routine for your DD?

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Do you feed him before bedtime? Or he has solids and goes to sleep?
    Cooks

6. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

cooks awesome plan...I hope I too can follow similar one.

Radical

7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks!!. Shes a tiny baby, 14lbs at 6 months but lots of energy and loud!!

Starting 5 months I mostly follow this routine. Other times when she sleeps extra or we go to the mall / BJs / temple in the evenings, things change. On the weekends, we have no routine and anything goes.

This routine is mainly for weekdays when I am alone. About the morning routine, since she was a baby when she wakes up, we didnt rush to her as soon as she opened her eyes. She would slowly wake up, start babbling and we would say good morning to her, she would just smile and play.

Every morning she plays on this mat (thats the only time she gets to play on it, so I think when she sees it every morning, shes happy to spend time on it).

Discover 'n Grow

Just recently started solids (a few weeks ago). Started with once a day in the morning, then morning and evening and since last week 3 times a day.

The morning routine of going out, we started since last month. We go to storytime at local library on Thu., to playgroup on Tues and other times I will take her with me to run errands (bank, library, groceries, etc...). Sometimes she does sleep extra and we miss things. I sometimes put on a baby-mommy exercise DVD too, she likes that.

I found the local playgroup at:
    Find your people - Meetup

I live in a big apartment complex, so I am planning to ask my building manager if I can start a playgroup of my own in the clubhouse in the mornings (if there are enough parents....not sure yet). We already have a book club, cultural night and senior citizens night at the clubhouse.

I have asked around for a playgroup on our local desi website, but no responses. We dont have activities for babies at our local temple, just for toddlers. So might put up a flier, to start a local desi playgroup, I will have to talk to the temple committee members first.

When she was younger, I used to give her a massage during daytime 11am (since we couldnt go out, it was winter and no vaccines), but now I changed that to evenings. It helps her relax.

I have been taking her for a walk since 4 months, she really likes that. She falls asleep quickly. So it used to save me time to put her to sleep. I have been reading board books since 2 months, just showing her colors, words and pictures. Rest of the time the board books are in her mouth.

I think if you do things the same way everyday it will establish a routine. Also keep observing your childs cues, make note of what times they get tired, are more active...usually they establish the routing themselves. They will be tired, active at the same time each day...so you can plan playtime and naps accordingly.

Hope this helps,
    Cooks.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    3 people like this.
  8. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hi, tried sending a private message, your inbox is full :). I will send you the details later again.

Cooks.

1 person likes this.
  9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Forgot to mention, since its summer break here in the US, from July there will be more storytime and baby bounce (music) activities at the local library. You should definitely check those out, they are free, but some do require pre-registration. Baby activities are from 0-24 months.

Also we have certain places which give music classes for babies. They are $100 for 2 months (July-Aug), not sure if its worth it. We also have a local gym for babies (4-10 months), $30 per month starting next week, but the classes are at 8:45am...too early!! We have baby yoga and massage classes at the hospital where I delivered, but havent been to that.

Unfortunately we dont yet have swimming classes for mommy-baby, that would have been fun. I am planning to take her to our apartment pool, when the weather warms up, just to see how she reacts to the water.

Sometimes there are too many local activities and I am too tired to go or not enough time :) Please do check out the local gymboree too, they have play - learn classes, our local gymboree doesnt offer those.

Cooks.

2 people like this.
  10. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I just realized I sound like one of those over-bearing moms, who enrolls there kid in every extracurricular and after school activity doh1laugh1smiley:eek:mg:

Cooks.

1 person likes this.