1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toys for baby in the first year

Discussion in 'Infants' started by shrutimanjunath, Jun 6, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Even I was considering buying the jumperoo,but was delaying it for the same reason as you rose. My baby turned 6 months this week and will definitely go and check them out as she gets bored playing on the floor all the time. She is still trying to rollover and doesn't sit yet, should I wait till she can sit before getting the jumperoo?

Thanks,
    Cooks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I would suggest showing them colorful rattles and mobiles and board books with contrast / bright pictures. I liked the "black on white" books, specifically for babies.

Cooks

1 person likes this.
  3. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

If you go to any big toy shops , u will find lot of toys suitable for your kid, we bought links for our grandkid who is 11 months old. we can give it any shape, and each link is colourful and child enjoys the colours and even if he keeps it in the mouth, it is no harm besides taste differs from child to child

4. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Cooks, I procrastinated and got it just last weekend for my baby's 6 month birthday. The fisher price jumperoo has 3 height adjustment levels and R (my baby) is already on level 2. So I lost some time already. Some parents use it from the babies' 3rd or 4th month itself. I am planning to use it twice a day and time it each time, so it doesn't affect her in anyway. I wish I would have bought it earlier because she really enjoys it. To answer your question, you can definitely buy for your baby now...they don't have to sit unsupported to be in it. Mine does not either.

Rainforest and baby einstein both have good reviews. In the rainforest, toys are not that good as baby einstein. In the latter, you can even hang your own toys...it has 5 height adjustments so longer usage. I bought rainforest because it is bounces more freely and thought R would enjoy it more as she already has enough toys to play with. Depends on what you want. I researched a whole 2 nights crazily on jumperoo's and exersaucer...I'm too crazy!

chitra, I saw baby einstein and I like that it is more colorful. I was confused which one to buy amongst two and finally got rainforest for above reasons. Just was not sure if it is harmful if used for long.

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot rose!, I'll get into my research mode and take a look at them both. Maybe I will put her in them at BBB and see what she likes

Cooks

6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Rose- We bought the jumparoo at around 6.5 months. I wish we would have bought it earlier because we could use it only for 3 months and then he outgrew. My son is quite tall for his age (95th percentile) and we used it on highest setting so he wasn't flat footed. He loved it. We let him use the jumparoo for 10-15 min at a time (2-3 times a day), he would jump for 3-4 min, play with other things on it and then jump again so he gave himself a break. His babysitter had the baby einestein one and he loved that too but jumparoo was clearly his favorite. I didn't notice any delayed milestone. He started walking at 10 months and my, he speaks a lot for his age (he is 19 months and already making sentences). May be by the sound your daughter trying to say something? Like, mommy, I'm not ready to come out of it or it was fun :).
    Walker: We didn't use the walker (I mean the real walker). The walker toy I mentioned has two settings, you can set it up (so the child can practice standing up) or take it down for the child to sit and play. My son loved playing with the moving ball and flaps things on it. It is a really great toy for both gross and fine motor skills. When he was already taking a few steps on his own, he started walking with it and gained confidence in walking more than few steps. One night he just took off (with the help of this little walker) and next day he was walking real well.
    Although, walkers are a big no now-a-days, personally, I don't see them as a hazard. Ofcourse, anything will be a hazard if the child is unattended.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks nuss! Your response put my fears to rest!

8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Once your baby has reached the standing up stage try giving an empty cardboard box (big enough for him to sit on it). Open two sides so that he can crawl in/out. Babies have loads of fun with this.

Tested and tried with my two kids.

1 person likes this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Agree! My son loves his "tunnel" made out of carseat box.

10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

I have used lamaze stuff, when my kids were under 3 months. Amazon.com : Lamaze Play & Grow Freddie the Firefly Take Along Toy : Baby Toys : Baby.

Also soft blocks while they were a few months old http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts..._sbs_ba_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=128V79TY3RHP81Z9CTW8

Another thing, that got my son transfixed for many minutes was this ;) . A must of mom of active boys, and girls ( to make them sit still atleast through the meal time) Amazon.com : Sassy Wonder Wheel : Baby Toys : Baby

After three months, http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-..._sbs_ba_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=06SFNYKQ8VZC50S91NY6. Motivates them to roll ;)

A nice friend gifted to my girl Amazon.com: Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Say Please Tea Set: Baby. Plus, this is the toy that has withstood almost 4 years of constant "kid-handling and sibling fights". As I type this my second one is playing with it :))- It has been almost 4 years we got it, and had one battery change so far. The girl is now five years, and still she has "tea parties" with this set .

Enjoy parenting. One of the very best part of life..
    -Nitha

2 people like this.