1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does my baby have constipation?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by uma321, Apr 3, 2014.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

My son is 6 weeks old. He used to poop every 3 hours till week 4 and he started pooping only once a day after that. He hasn't pooped yet in the last two days. I give him both breast milk and formula in case if it matters. There is no change in my diet.

Till last week, he used to take more than 3.5 oz every 3 hours. It went down to 2 oz every 3 hours from last week. From yesterday he takes 1 oz sometimes (every hour)

The last time he pooped was at 7.30 PM on 31st March. From this morning he is pushing and crying to poop, but not able to. He is a calm baby usually. But he is crying quite often from this morning, especially while feeding.

I called doctor's office and they prescribed Axid for acid reflex. I gave him the medication tonight and he hasn't cried while pushing during the last feed. But still he is pushing too hard to poop while drinking milk. I don't know if the medication works. Need to wait and see.

He doesn't have fever; burps well; passes gas. I really don't know what to do to make him poop.

I'm giving him tummy massage 3 times a day. I took his rectal temperature as I heard somewhere that it stimulates the bowel movement for babies.

Doctor suggested me gas drop as well. He said I can try the Axid alone at first and decide on gas drop if Axid alone doesn't work. Does gas drop help the babies to poop?

My heart aches when I see him cry. I feel helpless. Need your help.

1 person likes this.

2. urmilaraj

urmilaraj IL Hall of Fame

hi, feed him warm water, you can also boil raisins and give that water.

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

It is supposed to be normal. The child's intestines are just developing and the child is getting used to using his bottom muscles.

Also check if the water to formula ratio is correct and the water isn't too hot when to mix the formula that a lot of it is still evaporating.

After the first month my DD would poop only once is three-four days, sometimes 5 days. I was told by the doctors here not to give medicines or home remedies or put anything on her bottom - and also to start worrying only if she didn't poop for 10 days. She was mostly breastfed and I noticed that soon after she was given formula she would poop.

There is an "I love you" massage for the tummy to be done clockwise. Look it up. Also put your baby on his back and move his legs like he is cycling. Making sure he isn't uncomfortable, try to take his feet to his head. Also try giving him some tummy time.

this should get sorted soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Guesshoo, thanks.. what do you mean by water-formula ratio? I'm using the recommended quantity. I use water in normal temperature.

Did she try to push from second day?

I do both the "I Love You" message and cycling. I missed to put him for tummy time in the last two days. Will try tomorrow. Thanks!

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@uma my DS used to (still does. He is 6 months old) poop once in 2 days. On the days that he did not poop he would constantly keep trying. He would be cranky. He was exclusively BFed. Paed said it was common among babies. She strongly advised against any medication.

I used to apply castor oil on his rectum and on his tummy. That would calm him and he would poop in couple of hours. I also give him omam water (1/4 tsp) alternate days.

1 person likes this.
  6. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Uma put a piece of cotton in warm water and gently rub it in the rectal region.

Our doctor told me to take rectal temp to make my baby poop. But many told me that it's not a good idea to do it. I'm doing bicycling and massage for him.
    Check if he's dehydrated. Gas drops are good we are giving it at times from Sunday. He passes gas very well. Yesterday doctor told to give gripe water also.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Uma, it is normal for babies not to poop even for 4 days. When mixing the formula, say the prescribed amount is 1 heaped tsp for 2 oz (just an example), make it 1 leveled spoon for 2 oz water. See if this works.

Unless he is really crying, it is recommenced not to introduce medications until 3 months. However, since your doctor suggested, I guess it was fine.

When he is trying to poop, put your hands against his feet/heels in a way that he can take support from your hands and push harder. That encourages poo.
    Another way is to leave him diaper free for sometime on the changing table while he is pushing (you can support his feet with his hands).

I do not know if gripe water can be used for this but I had used it since she turned 1 month until she turned 1 year and that really calmed her down. I used to give her daily at 10 AM, 1 tsp and 5 PM another tsp.

And I agree with Ramya. Castor oil massage on tummy really works. Even now when my DD is 2 +, I still use that method. Massage on tummy gently with castor oil followed by warm bath. So far this method didnt fail for me and I would have used it at least 30 times in 2 years.

Edit: I must add, it is not required to give additional water to him. What he is getting from BM and formula is plenty.

1 person likes this.
  8. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Ramya. He just pooped and the poop was normal. Couldn't be happier :)

The medication I'm giving him is for acid reflex. Not for bowel movement. I started giving him the medication from yesterday and I see a huge difference in his crying (he used to cry while feeding and won't feed well).

1 person likes this.
  9. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Shruti,

My doctor recommended us to take rectal temperature to check the temperature. So, I take rectal temperature if the underarm one is not convincing.

I do the massages every day. thanks!

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii,

I was against using any medication. But looks like he is suffering from acid reflex and his feeding went down drastically. So, I had to use the prescribed one yesterday and it really worked. He stopped crying while feeding and feeding ok comparing the last 4-5 days.

I'm using only coconut oil. Let me use castor oil for massage and see if it helps.

Thanks! He just pooped and I'm a happy mom hugsmiley

1 person likes this.