1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Colic pain

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramya_psk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Traveller...

Thank you for your reply. My mom also made the saunf water. But it didn't help either. I am really surprised how other babies calm down by doing different things and how come for my baby NOTHING is working. I know my baby is really tough.

Again thank you for the advice. Take care.

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi amicable,
    I had a colicky baby..I did not give him any home remedy or other medicine..just bear with it..thats all we can do..baby will be alright after10-12 weeks..Do not do experiement by giving various things..It would have worked for some but that doesnt mean you must try all that too....Just my 2 cents..

Just make sure that baby is not swallowing too much air while drinking from bottle..burp him frequently..do gentle massage..

to cope with colic

1.Get outdoors and fresh air
    2.Get a baby swing and rock..if possible get a indian type hammock(if need website pm me)
    3.Hold him closely and walk..i remember walking hours together but definitely worth trying
    4. see if he is over/under dressed
    5.Warm bath(you /baby)

"This phase will also pass" keep this in mind at any stage of the baby..

3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hello Lavanya and Raj...

Thank you for your suggestions. I checked with the pedtrician about his colic problem. I was giving my baby Gripe water without alcohol. But again no use. So my doctor priscribed Hyoscyamine Sulfate Oral drops. It contained Hyoscyamine sulfate U.S.P...0.125 mg and Alcohol...5%.v/v , 5 drops after every 4 hours. I was totally against giving my baby anything alcohol in it. But my husband who himself is a physician insisted we should give this medicine because we are running out all the other options, but I am cheating little bit. I am giving these drops only at night time before his colic time starts around 11 PM and only three drops. Its been three days...his colic time is getting lesser now till 2 am. Day time my baby is really an angel (touchwood).

As I was not lacting enough, so after two weeks my baby is absolutly on Similac Advance formula liquid form. His Pedtrician changed the formula to Similac senstive formula but my baby couldn't digest it and he got diarhea and he was still very gassy and fussy with that formula. So now I am back to the same formula I was giving him before.

My pedtrician is not concern about anything, but do you think is there any problem with my baby?

Thank you all for your help. I am really greatful to this Indusladies forum who helped me all through my pregnancy and now helping with my baby.

God bless all.

4. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriyadinesh...

Thank you for the tips. You are right not all the kids are same. Different things work for different kids. As I said before..my baby is really checking our patience. But he is a special gift by god..we won't give up. As you suggested to take him out in the open air. I take him out for a walk for one hour every evening. Giving him warm bath...but in the afternoon (as my MIL is against giving bath at night time to the little kid). I do hold him close and walk walk walk...thats all we do at night time. Everybody is surprised to see me that I have lost the weight and baby belly within one month. So...this special thanks goes to my baby (LOL). About dress and diaper I am making sure its in good condition.

I spend $160 for the fisherprice swing. But he didn't like that. Could you please post the website for hamock? My baby is 5 weeks and I think we have to deal with his colic problem for another two more months as everybody is telling me. Thanks again for your reply.

Take care.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  5. SupriyaDinesh

Hi Amicable,
    here is the link http://www.ambybaby.com/
    DO not lose hope or feel bad..I would suggest you try Bfing..How did you know you know you are not producing enough milk?Please reconsider BFing..Not that it will stop colic but just a suggestion..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  6. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriyadinesh...

In the begining I tried to breastpump so many times for an hour or less a day but nothing was coming out. Baby used to bit me alot because of struggling for milk, he used to cry alot at day time too. Later I started having pain like pins and neddles so bad due to biting I had to take medicine for that. My doctor also suggested formula due to medicine. Since then he is absolutly on formula. I feel guilty about it though. Now I can't consider breastfeeding again because I got my periods back. It means I won't lactate anymore.

Anyhow...thank you for the link. Take care.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  7. SupriyaDinesh

Hi Amicable..Looks like you have lot of misconceptions about BFing.Anyways thats your personal choice.Do not feed guilty though.All the best.

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Amicable,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. But don't feel guilty. One thing I didn't follow from your reply though... why do you think periods stops lactation? I already got my periods after delivery (in less than 3 months). it was the same case with my first delivery as well.

Latha

9. poojabalaji

poojabalaji New IL'ite

Hi Amicable,

I am a new iLite and was browsing the site when i came across this thread and the replies to it. Everyone out there have given you very good suggestions and i have nothing more or special to add, but all i wanted to let u know is i can relate to how u are feeling...and that u are not alone.

My daughter was also severely colic she used to cry from around 10:30 at night to even 8 or 9 in the morning , we really had a tough time coping up with her. she did cry from around her 3 rd week to around 10 weeks (67 days to be exact) then all of a sudden she stopped crying on the 68th day and she started sleeping better. Even now i really dread those days.No remedy suggested would pacify her. I feel how hard it is for u. But as u have mentioned we have to cope with this for our little one.
    Even i used to feel very bad and used to cry for hours together to my husband as i was not able to console her or stop her from crying. I even started to worry that my DD has some serious issue which we were over looking. But i was wrong. Some kids are severely colic. But they come out of it on their own. Though there are lot of ways suggested to handle them ... its only time which decides when they come out it.

My husband , my mother and father were all very supportive to me and still we found it difficult to handle her.
    My husband used to tell me to imagine things as i having a great time with her after this colic was gone and to tell u the truth amazingly she responded to such thoughts well. Once she was out of this colic period i started having really enjoyable time with her. she is the very very naughty and adorable :)

So just try to get some time from ur child if u can and ask ur DH to take care of the childand do get some sleep and try doing some other activity apart from thinking abt why the child is colic and when it will subside. This helps us to relax.

ABOVE all, i suggest that u dont ponder over the internet to find solutions or suggestions for colic becos the more i browsed and got info abt it(though most of them did not help) the more i was thinking about her colic nature that i really did not enjoy her non-colicky times like the day times when she was better. Its just my suggestion.
    Excessive browsing and pondering made me obcessed with her colicky nature.

Hey u know what as u have mentioned even i lost my weight and baby belly :hiyawith tin first six weeks :cheers

Sorry ppl if it was along post, just cldnt stop the flow. sorry again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers
    Hope ur child gets better soon

cheers

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

That's would be my question too! I had my periods in three months and I am still BFing fine.

I agree with pooja, just get some time off everyday and go for a walk, or catch up on that sleep. Hang in there, it won't last forever.

Pooja, having a colic baby that cried all night doesn't sound fun at all!! I can't even imagine how you felt when the baby cried all night. Kudos to you. :) I am glad it's all over for you.

Raj