1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Colic pain

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramya_psk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Colic baby

Hi Amicable,
    Amitha has given a range of ideas. I have no more - but I do think that changing the formula will help. Also like she says colic ends at a maximum of 12 weeks (for my son it ended at 10 but it was nowhere near as bad as you describe). So (((hugs))) to you - can you get someone else to watch him for a few hours in the daytime? If so take a nice long hot bath and sleep - dont feel guilty - you need a break.

Vanathi.

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Thank you Amitha, Vanathi and Cheer. I will try few more things it has described in the link. I got this cassette "The happy baby in the block" by Dr. Harvey kerr. It failed too. My mom is here to help me out, but I can't sleep when my baby is screaming. So...I am getting really tired. Well...thank you all for your replies. Hope he will get over from this colic problem soon. Thanks again.

Regards

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Amicable,

You already have excellent tips. My 2 cents that helps my 3 month old girl (she's not often colicky but it does help when she is). Take few saunf seeds... not the green ones that we use in South India. Buy the brown ones that i understand is used in north indian cuisine and is less pungent. Boil in water until you see the water colour changing as the essence mixes in. Strain and cool this water. You can keep in fridge for upto 3 days and dilute with boiled, cooled water when you want to use. Just 1/2 tsp of this can be given to your baby. This tip was given to me by my midwife and i had given this water to my baby when she was 3 weeks old itself. Even for you when you have flatulence a stronger decoction is very good in regulating your digestive system.

Latha

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

This is what we do for our son though his colicky times are way lesser than what you've described, Amicable. We take him out of the house just before the colicky time starts (its in the evening when light is still there). A good stroller walk with change of environment helps calm him. Then we give either Woodwards Gripe Water or Mylicon with the next feed. He gets a warm bath, feed and then we put him down to bed while singing some soothing songs.
    Just hang in there, it will get better with time, though it doesn't look like that right now.
    -L.

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Lavanya, doesn't Woodwards have alcohol in it? I was told by a couple of my friends and I also researched later on and found out that babies shouldn't be given anything with alcohol in it no matter how small the quantity is. I also read that it has sodium bi-carbonate and dill oil in it, not usually recommended for babies otherwise.

Riya had some usual stomach issues and I used to give her nutmeg rubbed on a hard surface with a teaspoon of warm water. It always helped her.

Raj

7. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Raj, Woodwards doesn't have any alcohol in it (though the original recipe which we or our parents may have consumed supposedly had). It has soda bicarb, dill oil in sugar water base. Until date I haven't come across any concrete evidence to say that gripe water is harmful. Every company has slightly different ingredients including fennel, ginger etc. Back home dill seeds are boiled and strained and the extract is given mixed with some sugar. Nutmeg/Mace on the other hand is supposedly stronger so I never tried it. I guess every home has some remedies passed on from previous generations.

-L.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Okay, didn't know that Gripe water now has no alcohol in it. But how about Soda bi carb, is that okay for an infant?

I don't think Gripe water is harmful either, but the alcohol in it is something that I was concerned about, but that's just me. :) I read and research too much when it comes to Riya. Just a paranoid first time parent :).

Raj

P.S - Is Dil available in India? I was looking for some when I was in India for making some potato salad and couldn't find any. What is it called in tamil/hindi?

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Raj,

Dill is 'Sadakuppai' in tamil and available in all naattu marundu shops. In Germany we get so much... wish I can send you some. In fact amma took from here to make rasam which is supposed to be very good for aiding digestion. Here all children tea (that can also be given for babies) have fennel and dill seeds. I keep them at home and is a very handy home remedy.

Wonder if moms of colicky babies can get this product in the US. It's a cream made of caraway seeds oil (kümmel in german) and the base is vaselin. For babies we just have to massage it in the belly button and it's a great relief. For children and adults they have a syrup with caraway and koriander oil in a sugar base (no alcohol). 1/2 tsp in milk or tea is an instant relief.

the link is in German sorry but i'm referring to this - 'Windsalbe'. May be if you can get something similar Hochwertige Babyprodukte aus der Natur - Öl, Tee und Salben. The brand is Tamany med. This I took as gifts to my cousins' children last time when i went to india and now there is a great demand for it:)

Edited: Saw that you can click on the british flag on to your left for english version:)
    Latha

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Latha, share some dill recipes for babies. I have dill here at home, but I didn't realize it's medicinal properties!

I'll have to look into that cream you are talking about.

Raj