1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bcg vaccine

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sunshinebeauty, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Sunshinebeauty

Sunshinebeauty Gold IL'ite

Thanks Dinny for the reply

1 person likes this.
  2. swapna82

swapna82 New IL'ite

sunshine, I am too planning to get my baby BCG. Pls let me know i u got Mantaux test done before giving BCG. I am so tensed about the test. your reply will be valuable to us.

3. Sunshinebeauty

@Swapna82

Hi,

I didn't do Mantaux test for my baby. They just gave bcg vaccine.

How many months old your baby is?

4. swapna82

swapna82 New IL'ite

My son is 2 yrs old, born in US. We are now in India and going to stay for more than 6months. So I planned to get my child BCG,and when i visited doctor here,he told me to get Mantoux test done before getting BCG.

It seems if the test result is -ve only then they give BCG, if it is positive they wont give BCG to my child. Now my problem is i have make my son go thru Mantoux test, then BCG. And after i return to US, it seems the docs will perform PPD (TB skin test) as part of their rules(who ever travel out of country for a vacation). And i learnt from the site that for those who got BCG vaccination, PPD test (that they perform in US) will come positive,if that is +ve doctor will insist on Isoniazed medication for 9 months.

So my son has to go thru
    Mantoux test (in India)
    BCG
    then PPD test (in USA when we return)
    Isoniazed medication for 9 months.

I am worried and confused on what to decide.

5. Sunshinebeauty

I gave Bcg for my DD at 6 months when we went for vacation. After coming to US my pediatrician didn't do skin test as the result will be anyway positive. Instead she asked us to do blood test.

The blood test came little positive. She asked me to redo the blood test after 4 week, but I went only after 6 weeks and the result was negative.

I think Bcg is important to avoid TB. So consult your doctor. If you have any queries pls ask.

Thanks.

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you live in US and visit India for short term (only 3-4 months) then BCG vaccine is not required. I confirmed this detail with both pediatricians in India and US.

On getting BCG vaccine, test will definitely be done in US. If the skin test is positive then doctors will ask us to go for Chest XRay and blood test. If both are positive then medication would be given. This happened for my friend's son and they did take the medication. The kid was born in India. The family moved to US when the boy was 4 years old.