1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teething

Discussion in 'Infants' started by meeta shah, Apr 10, 2008.

1. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hey Ladies
    Any one of you had teething experience with their baby? My daughter Aarya, 5 months seems little uncomfortable today. She hasn't eaten much today. Only 4 ounces from the morning and making this noise from her throat like her throat is irritating. And whenever I am trying to give her a bottle, instead of drinking she is trying to chew on it. Right now she is playing with teething toy and trying to put it in her mouth. She doesn't seems that crazy with toys putting in her mouth so I am not sure if this is teething or not. She is also not drooling that much as well.

Any suggestion, why she is cting this way today?
    Thanks

2. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

My son had the following symptoms when he was teething
    Drooling,refusing bottle,always pulling my hand ,so he can bite it(he did not like teething toys ):)
    I used Oragel and Hylands teething tablets,they seem to help a bit.But he did not act like his throat was hurting so I'am not sure if that is a symptom.
    Hope she feels better and takes some milk .

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Meeta...try feeling along her gums to see if you feel a tooth. Based on what you say..sounds more like a throat infection/beginning cold rather than teething. Any fever? Did she sleep well last night? Any how let her drink whatever she wants and dont push if she doesnt drink as usual. Just have to wait and watch I guess....

V.

4. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi V
    Thanks for the reply. And yup..she is suffering from wet cold past 4-5 days. And it seems like now it is drying up. so, maybe that's the case. No fever. She was sleeping ok in past few days but yesterday night she went to bed at 7:30 than woke up at 12, 2:30 and 4:00.
    Is there something I should be doing? Please suggest...

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

If you have a humidifier then you can try letting her breathe steam for a little while - may help her cold and throat irritation. I asked abt the sleep because too little makes some babies very cranky. Try for an early bedtime tonight. Hope she's ok tomorrow.

V.

6. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Yes, V...We do have humidifier. Do you suggest adding vicks as well?
    Thanks for great help. Appreciate it a lot..

From
    Meeta, Mr.Shah and Aarya

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

No Vicks...plain water should be enough. Or you can turn the hot water in the bathroom and generate some steam - may be easier?

Vanathi.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Riya is teething

Seems like Riya's growing those chompers. She has been really fussy today, and DH put a wash cloth in the freezer and gave it to her which she liked and also cold teething rings. She didn't even want to go for a walk today. She's really cranky. Is there anything else we can do to comfort her?

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Re: Riya is teething

Riyasmommy,

since I am up and surfing, thought might as well let you know what I know and then sleep....massaging her gums gently with your bare fingers will help. Then I used to offer both my kids my own fingers to bite on gently - they will be gentle. Of course other versions of the cold cloth like frozen bagels, some even give frozen carrots (based on age group) but only thing is when you give either of these, you need to keep a close eye - choking hazard is more especially if they are not even sitting up, both my kids were barely 4months when they first got their little tooth and I have never offered them any food items. If she is too upset, you could try and rub a little bit of baby Orajel! This will definetly help. It will only get better with the other teeth :-D

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Riya is teething

I've heard that rubbing olive oil on the gums helps too - no personal experience with that though as Aadhu got his 2 teeth without too much fuss.

V.