1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Early Education for Infants - Experiences/Reviews

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mitra75, Sep 3, 2013.

1. mitra75

mitra75 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies....

I would like to know if anyone here has tried early infant education for your child.
    Came across Little Gems, Chennai infant education program through a friend.

Kindly post your experiences/review about infant education.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I did signing with my little one. By around 8 months she knew to sign for her milk/ ball/ hello/ enough/ more etc. By the time she was 9 months old, we would have little conversations.

I feel it really helped her start communicating early and follow threads of conversations much earlier...

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mitra, are we talking about babies less than 9 months? if yes, then no. I have not really taught her anything at that age. She was able to communicate in her own language what she wanted, like milk (not through crying) but I havent taught her per se. Most of the teaching started close to 12 months.

4. mitra75

mitra75 New IL'ite

Yeah they offer education program for babies from 30 days old till 5 years. Think its mostly flash card training. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it. And will it be really helpful in boosting baby's grasping power?

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Mitra, my first reaction is, whats the rush. I mean, they are all but 30 days and isnt that too young to start education? I doubt if it would aid in grasping power at that age but I am also interested in knowing what exactly they teach babies that young.

1 person likes this.
  6. mitra75

mitra75 New IL'ite

Even I don't know what they exactly teach. Just came to know through a friend. Checked on their website, It said that they have education program for 30 days old to 5 year old babies. Am just looking for feedback those who have already taken their infant education program.
    Please check their website if you are looking for more information.

7. Sangeethamakeup

Sangeethamakeup New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I am an expecting mother, I was very curious to know about infant education and contacted little gems thru whatsapp, they gave the details about the course thru voice message, but they don't have any office located it seems and the money transaction will be in online. My hubby wants to speak with the tutor in person. But I feel it is not possible as per the conversation i had with little gems.
    can anyone help me who had an experience with little gems.

8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi @guesshoo that sounds really interesting, would you explain how you tought her the signs? My lil one is now 6 months and she tries to babble and makes sounds but no specific or any specific guesture which is attached to something or has a meaning (other then hmmmm or yumyum while eating for tasty laugh1smiley)
    Did you showed the guesture/sign while showing her the toy/food/action etc.? like a handsign for ball or eating? Im really curious as it sounds very interesting

9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hey RedRuby, first of all, I'm glad that you both have recovered.

I used to go to signing classes with her - bunch of babies and mums singing rhymes and signing using the British sign language for the key words like twinkle, little, star, how, what, up, world, diamond, Sky. Apart from signs in the rhymes we mums used to learn 6-10 words per week. whenever I used those words to her, I would consistently sign Along with. Sometimes I'd hold her hand and move it (if she lets me) as I say the word.

It encouraged eyecontact I feel. It appeared initially that it had no impact - not even eye contact. However it soon came on rather fast once she picked it up. Of course her sign was far from perfect; it was rather jerky but I was able to figure it out, rather like baby talk.

In fact, I used to sign "over" when she finished her food and around 8.5mo she started pointing to her seat, signing "over" to me when she wanted to get out of the pram or swing or car seat! (Really helped as earlier she just used to scream and cry and I'd have to guess. With the signs, she would just gurgle, make eye contact and sign) By 9 mo, she would negotiate my inputs during her bedtime - I would typically finish her routine and leave her in her cot to settle by herself and sleep. She would cheekily sign for milk or food which she would have finished for the day; when I say mealtime over, sleeptime, she would sign back with a sad face, "milk" "over" and sign pat me or sing to me. Similarly would also crawl to me and sign "change" if her nappy were soiled.

Perhaps you can find some videos online. There are lots of websites with british or American sign language. You could just pick up some relevant words. Just to give you an idea, some words that would give you a start. You could choose 6 words the first week and add on 6-8 words each week
    - sleep, play, eat, drink, sit, bath, change (nappy), hug, kiss, I love you, look,
    - more, help, enough, over, hot, cold, potty,
    - home, outside, shop, park, swing, slide, sunny, rainy, snow, sun, moon, star,
    - milk, food, Apple, pear, bread, cheese, banana,
    - music, flower, ball, dog, cat, duck, horse,
    - coat, shoes, socks, dress,
    - car, cycle, boat, plane

It is important to say the word and sign at the same time and the child must be able to see your mouth forming the word. "Shall we go HOME?" "Now we are HOME"

It is quite easy once you start and get the hang of it. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@mitra75, I really dont see the need for a formal course of instruction for a baby! Even if left alone, babies are incredibly intelligent. Our role is to make sure the baby is well fed, has enough sleep and is kept clean. The baby will give us enough cues and if we act upon it, its enough.

That said, you could definitely introduce the baby to speech like pointing out an object and saying its name, saying its color, texture etc. Talking to the baby continually is one of the best ways to stimulate her.

I do not think babies and flash cards go together. There is so much for the baby to accomplish in the first year, think about it. From learning to eat solids, walking and absorbing all that the world has to offer; where is the need for flash cards?

Sign language is different, it is to help the baby communicate or rather help us understand the baby's language :). That's a good idea as guesswho suggested.

1 person likes this.